What are your experiences with birdshot patterns out of a Saiga 12?

I might set up a saiga 12 for a Turkey shoot.

How well does your saiga pattern at 25 yards with

a full choke? The organizers might supply either cheap

bulk pack walmart winchester universal or walmart remington

game loads. The targets are 10 inch by ten inch. Am I optimistic to

hope to do well against winchester, mossberg, or remington turkey guns?

Edited by my762buzz

If you have removeable chokes, you'll want an extra-full turkey choke and a long throat reamed into your barrel. Brownell's and Midway both sell the carbide reamer for about $189 IIRC. Barrel ports will help also, as a slower shot column is tighter. Some of these guys even roll-choke their barrel partway down tighter than extra-full to cheat a bit. That way when the muzzle is gauged, it looks like they're using a legal choke constriction. Of course, this is easy to see if they're not very careful when they roll-choke the barrel.

It's an equipment race.

Edited by patriot
If you have removeable chokes, you'll want an extra-full turkey choke and a long throat reamed into your barrel. Brownell's and Midway both sell the carbide reamer for about $189 IIRC. Barrel ports will help also, as a slower shot column is tighter. Some of these guys even roll-choke their barrel partway down tighter than extra-full to cheat a bit. That way when the muzzle is gauged, it looks like they're using a legal choke constriction. Of course, this is easy to see if they're not very careful when they roll-choke the barrel.

It's an equipment race.

Reaming or porting my Saiga barrel isn't an option. I do have a full choke though.

Most locals coming are using stock factory pump action turkey guns.

I had no problem taking first, two seconds and third place out of five shoots a couple weeks ago with my Saiga-12 22" full choke. (Non removeable type). No external brake was used.

I was up against Remingtons, Berettas, Savage, you name it. The only gun that consistantly out shot me was a 30" J.C. Higgins bolt action made circa 1955.

See http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=20643

Pattern it then take your Saiga out and compete.