Hey everyone

I am thinking about purchasing a 4-8X42 POSP scope for my Saiga .308, it seems like it would be an excellent scope for this particular rifle. It has all the benefits of the regular fixed power POSP scopes and its like owning the 4x, 6x and 8x scope all in one. I was also considering the 1p21 scope but its looks very heavy and large and the universal mount looks complicated. However Kalinka and other sell a very similar scope to the 1p21 that is 2-9 variable that fits the weaver side mounts. Speaking of which I have two of these both are Belorussian and one is marked MTK-68 made in Belarus and other is all black and only says made in Belarus. Both of these are low mounts and the rear sight cannot be seen when they are installed on the rifle but i could use either of these to mount a scope on my rifle. What do you all suggest and if anyone has a review of any of the variable power POSP scopes I would be greatly interested.

Buck Shott

Edited by Buck shott

I read a review of the 4-8x on a dragunov site. The reviewer disliked it, but that's primarily because he was using it wrong. This is my best guess based on that review, and literature on the websites selling said scopes.

It's not a regular variable power scope. Changing the magnification also changes the elevation (and windage - I *think*). This works the same way as the Redfield 3-9x40 used on XM21's in Vietnam did. The reticle of this scope has a rectangluar box at the top. It is taller than it is wide. You put your target (human, between the shoulders and the belt) inside the box and dial the magnification until the box brackets your target. It's sort of an auto-range-finder. You use the windage and elevation knobs for zeroing, then, ideally you never touch them again. After zeroing, you use the magnification to set the elevation, and the hash marks to the sides of the center chevron to hold off for windage. The other elevation marks are used for targets that don't fit the box on either end of the magnification scale.

Once again: feel free to correct me if you know I'm wrong, which it's very possible I am.

I had one of the 8x42 scopes and it was just too big IMO so I sold it and put the 4x24 POSP scope on the rifle ( PSL ) .

I have a SAIGA 308 and I ordered a 6x24 POSP for it ,I think I'll be happy with it because where I shoot it only goes out to 2oo yrds.

Edited by Eugene Onegin

I don't think that the elevation or windage moves when you increase the magnification. Although the reticle grows larger as you increase the mag, it's a function of the reticle being in the first focal plane vice being in the second plane as most scopes made for the US market. POA and POI are the same regardless of the mag. I sighted in @ 100yrds and utilize the turrets (mine have MOA clicks rather than calibrated for 7.62x54 or 7.62x39) for adjustments in elevation/windage. I then can turn the turrets back to 0 to be back @100yrds. The ^ below the first one are for 1100, 1200, and 1300 meters respectively

Here is the reticule I have:

product_imagephp.jpg

Edited by Havoc308

I have a 8x 42 POSP from a Romak PSL, I used to own. The bell is too big to mount on a Saiga with the iron sights in place. You would have to grind down the sight base and remove the sight leaf to mount it properly without running the scope tube into it, although the mount would fit the rail just fine. I suggest sticking to a 24 mm objective in order to avoid mounting issues. I plan to mount a Leupold 4X 32mm to a sight base and use that. If anyone is interested in a 8x 42 POSP from Kalinka Optics, let me know.

I was even more wrong than I thought. I tracked down the article I was thinking of, and it's for a 4-12x42 scope.

http://www.dragunov.net/1p21.html

Saigaczech: Do you know it that scope would fit on a Romanian AK? I have an SAR-2 that is going to need a scope in order to fulfill her true accuracy potential. If not, then I have a Norinco Hunter with the same complaint. That one needs to have a side rail mounted first though. That would be a good thing actually, as I could set the rail so that any optic would clear the ... non-existant rear sight base. Yes, I just typed that as I was thinking it. I'm still curious on how well it fits AK's other than the Saiga 308. Thanks.

I have an 4-8x42 POSP on my Saiga-308. I got it from eastwave.ca or freedom optics, cant remember which. Its the best accessory I've bought for it, very clear glass, illuminated, and I can sight it in with 5 shots or less when switching from my .308 to my .223.

My brother was able to hit a 12" metal plate at 300 yards with ease; used surplus NATO at this range, haven't tried it with some premium ammo.

I was even more wrong than I thought. I tracked down the article I was thinking of, and it's for a 4-12x42 scope.

http://www.dragunov.net/1p21.html

Saigaczech: Do you know it that scope would fit on a Romanian AK? I have an SAR-2 that is going to need a scope in order to fulfill her true accuracy potential. If not, then I have a Norinco Hunter with the same complaint. That one needs to have a side rail mounted first though. That would be a good thing actually, as I could set the rail so that any optic would clear the ... non-existant rear sight base. Yes, I just typed that as I was thinking it. I'm still curious on how well it fits AK's other than the Saiga 308. Thanks.

Probably not, it has a SVD mount dedicated to the SVD rails. Mounts from the front, not from the rear like most AK mounts. The scope is also calibrated for the 7.62x54R round not 7.62x39. That means it could be used effectively for the .308 or 30-06 as ballistics are close but not the intermediate calibers. It fits ROMAK 3 just fine. The reticle is 1300m capable with ranging scale, click adjustments out to 1000m and hold over chevrons for 100m increments to 1300m. Reticle is red LED illuminated and powered by 357 type batteries. Instructions are in Russian and the scope was assembled in Belorusk. That is all the data I have that seem pertinent. I bought it from Kalinka Optical abotu two years ago when I had the ROMAK, sold the ROMAK and kept the scope. Was going to mount it on a Mosin-Nagant M91/30 but can't find anyplace to turn down the straight bolt handle for that rifle..

http://www.mosinnagant.net/Boltman/Boltman.html

Prices seem reasonable. I've never heard anything bad about his work. Hope that helps. Good luck with your 91/30.

:)

Tok is right, he have done my bolt for my M39 finish mosin-nagant, he takes his time but then end result

is wort the time he takes and the price he charges and is not a lot for the work done on the bolt.

And if you get a 4x8 by 42 POSP or 8 x 42 POSP the cams on the scope can be

kind of adjusted for bullet drop on the .308, I don't know the glass on the last ones

but the old ones, they used to have excellent glass, No IR filter but still top of the notch glass

on them for the price they go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone

while I was saving up the money for the 4-8X42mm I found a 8X-42mm with AK rail and I got it for a very reasonable price because the seller thought the illuminated teticle didn't work, so I took a chance and bought it and changed the batteries and left it in the on position for a few minutes and sure enough it worked fine. Unfortunately its the gray hammerite finish not the matte black but I am keeping my eye out for a scope in black. (Tantal told me the black scopes are made for the commercial market and rarer than the meduim gray colored ones.)

so far I haven't had a chance to try the scope on a rifle other than my SAR-1 but it seemed to fit fine and the iron sight can easily be seen with the scope in place. Saigaczech yours must have had issues due to it being a dragunov SVD mount instead of the AK type.

Can't wait to give it a try!

Buck Shott

Hey everyone

while I was saving up the money for the 4-8X42mm I found a 8X-42mm with AK rail and I got it for a very reasonable price because the seller thought the illuminated teticle didn't work, so I took a chance and bought it and changed the batteries and left it in the on position for a few minutes and sure enough it worked fine. Unfortunately its the gray hammerite finish not the matte black but I am keeping my eye out for a scope in black. (Tantal told me the black scopes are made for the commercial market and rarer than the meduim gray colored ones.)

so far I haven't had a chance to try the scope on a rifle other than my SAR-1 but it seemed to fit fine and the iron sight can easily be seen with the scope in place. Saigaczech yours must have had issues due to it being a dragunov SVD mount instead of the AK type.

Can't wait to give it a try!

Buck Shott

I think you'll be happier with the fixed magnification.