I used some 7 1/2 shot 2&3/4" Winchester shells from wally world for fun and they cycled perfectly....

Wally World has Federal ammo quite cheap as well.... My question is: What ammo should I steer clear of as I don't want any FTF or stovepipes while out shooting.

Those shells you are shooting are probably about the worst you could choose. Just pull one out and look at it. There is an obvious bulge at the front edge of the shell. It's larger at the leading edge then in the body.

I would suggest using Winchester AA Super Sport or Super Handicap instead.

Tony

I used the Winchester. Never bought federal. I was curious as to what to avoid. Are you saying "Avoid the federal" or avoid the winchester I already tried?

Tony, I value your opinion almost more than anyone else's when it comes to S-12's. You and BobAsh and a few others are the s-12 encyclopedias.

Can you please list a few 12ga i should avoid completely. besides LTL rounds as I don't really give a shit about rubber bullets.

Edited by SaigaNoobie

+1 on the "Winchester Universal = bad". That of course is not to say it won't work at all, like one particular caniving MF G er would have you believe Tony and others have said. What that means is it's not the best choice where low brass, less expensive ammo is concerned.

Besides the fact that it is bulbous on the front end, which contributes greatly to feeding problems with the S-12, it is also made from very soft plastic that will deform easily and is more prone to get caught by the sharp edges within the S-12 breech area and bolt surfaces. Polishing these surfaces is one way to allow the gun to feed better with such ammo. It's something that has been known and practiced for years, unlike some people believe.... :rolleyes:

Lol Cobra, all your posts are thinly veiled.

I don't think it was winchester universal. It was a black box winchester. 25rds for 5.50 or something. The reason I ask about the Federal, is that it's $16 bucks for 100 rds of 2 3/4 #8 shot at Wally world. At that price it's cheaper than x39 ammo, and more fun to shoot =D

Lol Cobra, all your posts are thinly veiled.

I don't think it was winchester universal. It was a black box winchester. 25rds for 5.50 or something. The reason I ask about the Federal, is that it's $16 bucks for 100 rds of 2 3/4 #8 shot at Wally world. At that price it's cheaper than x39 ammo, and more fun to shoot =D

I shoot the Federal 100 rnd box stuff from walmart and never have feeding issues. Ive put many thousand thru my S12. The winchester cheapo stuff always gave my failure to feed.

the wally world winchester sucks ,Ive shot alot of the silver box stuff 3.99 at Gander mountain it runs fine,whatever you pickup just make sure it has at least 3-3-1/4 drams of powder some of the lower power loads will not cycle,Dicks has the 100rd remington sport loads on sale sometimes for 16-$17 it runs great just look on the top of the box and make sure the drams-powder charge is at least 3 and you should be fine

Don't mean to buck anyones thoughts on the situation but both "MY" S12's run just fine on the Winchester Universal ammo (Cobra has seen this first hand). I have tried Win, Rem and Federal value packs from Walmart and they have all run just fine. I will agree though that the Win ammo does have softer walls then the others and are more prone to FTF then the others, but in my experience its almost a non-issue as I'd have 3" OO Buck if it was a personal safety or personal defense situation. IMHO

My Saiga likes every thing so far, I took a sample of every buck shot and slug I had and went to wall mart and got little of every thing they had, shot it and it worked fine. Next time I go to the range I might bring some turkey shells and small game shells.

I shot just about every winchester, remington and federal 00buck and rifled slug made. They all worked great.

I reload Winchesters AA shells to be more or less like winchester universal shot shells. I have not tried them because I have a feeling my S12 won't like them. I loaded them to be as cheap and low powered as possible for killing small game.

Federal's 100-round "bargain box" at Wally World is great for skeeting/bird hunting. I've fired a couple boxes on the #1 gas setting with no problems whatsoever.

For personal defense, I'd again go with Federal full-power tactical buckshot. The Flitecontrol is more of the same with a more even shot spread, as mentioned above; if 9 pellets don't do it, 15 probably won't either. The low recoil stuff won't cycle reliably on the #1 setting, so be warned. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with all this Winchester Ranger low-recoil 9-ball #00 stuff I bought last year. Maybe I'll make a shotgun shell gingerbread house for Christmas :angel:

When it comes to slugs, the Winchester slugs burn quite dirty (they shit up my gun faster than any other slugs I have fired, not only the powder fouling but lead fouling as well), while Federal has a better reputation of low-flash stuff, good for if you're shooting (or forced to shoot) at night. If you want to burn your house down along with the potential home invader, try Remi 2.75" (better yet 3") sluggers, particularly the High-Velocity flavor. Damn muzzle flash makes it nearly impossible for me to see where I hit my target without a Shoot N' C posted up :D

Yes rifled slugs are fine. I like the Remington Sluggers the best out of all I've tried. I pick them up in the bargain packs at Wallyworld when available.

Rule of thumb for slugs...don't shoot sabot slugs through a full choke, foster slugs are just fine though. They are hollow and soft enough to sqeeze thru. You will get some lead fouling though...

Saiga seem to like rifled slugs.

I all ways used remington slugs in my Winchester 1300 because they shot straight and were cheap.

The 3'' Rem slug will make a yellow fire ball about the size of a basket ball when fired from an 18'' gun.

Stay away form the sabot slugs, they are ment for rifled barrels. They won't hurt any thing as long as you don't shoot them through a full choke. With out being spin stabilized they start to tumble.

As far as slugs go I like the Peters in the 10rd box -blue shells 7/8 1800fps.the rem and federal shoot great also,buckshot- rem,federal are good the sellier and bellot 10rd box $4, smokes up good and doesnt have the recoil of the other brands