Prayer requests: My best friend was very badly burnt..

Prayer works. It also strengthens your faith. I don't ask Him for much. Mainly, I thank Him for what He's given me. I wouldn't be here if He wasn't watching over me.

Like I said before, NOTHING is more important than

Family

God

Country

When I pray, it's never for myself except for personal strength. I pray for the troops. I pray for my family and friends. And I pray that God gives me the strength to get through whatever I'm going through.

So how is she doing?

I have no idea. Today Im going to go see if I can get in to see her. Ive been having little panic attacks lately, and I have to at least try to get in to see her. Hopefully a nurse will take pity on me.

Well I went to see her today. I am glad I expected the worst, because when I saw that most of her burns werent bad, I was quite relieved. The burns cover a good amount of her body, but there arent many 3rd degree burns, just a few on her arms. She has minor burns on her face, and the thinner parts of her nose are singed. Still has her hair though!

The worst damage is in her airway and lungs. She was sedated quite heavily, and in restraints so she doesn't pull out the air tube. I literally got there 5 minutes before they took her away to put o trach tube in so she'd be more comfortable. It will take some time before that passes. Her dad was there and I talked to him a bit. He assured me that I can visit whenever I want.

So I am quite relieved.

Thanks for all the support from everyone who gave it! Especially from a few members who PMed me with advice, and concern. It certainly helped get me through, as I had been freaking out for a week now.

Oh, and a sidenote: I am disappointed by the lax security in the ICU. I literally walked right in, without being stopped or asked who I was. They didn't even ask who I was when I asked which room she was in. :angry2:

Man, that is great news!!! Awesome! I'm so glad it's not as bad as you thought and I'm so gald you get to see her when you want. She'll need you there. I honestly believe that will help with her recovery. That, and the prayers.

That is great headshot! She was probably very happy to see you too. Good timing with her Dad being there and getting there before she was moved out for more work.

I'm pretty surprised too about the lack of security for ICU. WTF?

That is great headshot! She was probably very happy to see you too. Good timing with her Dad being there and getting there before she was moved out for more work.

I'm pretty surprised too about the lack of security for ICU. WTF?

Well, she didn't see me. She was knocked out so they could put a hole in her throat. It was just a relief to see her. I didn't know her condition, but the reports refered to her as "critically burned" so I assumed she was really messed up. I talked to her father for 20 minutes after they took her. I asked him if he thought it'd be OK if a came back in a couple days, so I will revisit her on wednesday.

Anyway, I feel much better now that I know she'll be OK.

Visited her again today. She was conscious but steadily sedated. She can't talk, but she kept trying to tell me stuff and I COULDN'T understand. She was getting very frustrated, as she wasn't very aware of things. She kept forgetting that she was restrained, and I had to scratch all her itches. It was very frustrating for me as well, as it was the first time we have see EACH OTHER in more than a week. It was pretty painful. I told her I would visit her again in a week, as I did not want to get her upset over not being able to communicate.

It was very hard for me as well. I wanted to help her in every way I can, but I couldn't understand the things she wanted to say. I stayed there for a couple hours and held her hand and stroked her hair.

Its going to be a long week...

Wow, I just gotta say, she is lucky to have a friend like you. I'm sure just you being there is doing a lot for her :up: .

She's my drinkin' buddy! We have a good time everytime! We are always there for each other.

Edited by headshot

Security for an ICU? Never seen it.....and i used to work on a few ICU floors. There is just very little concern for the average ICU patient in terms of risks from the outside. Now the victim of a violent crime may get a different level of security stationed nearby, but many units qualify as ICUs (bone marrow transplant for example was an ICU - the designation was more a reflection of the ratio of nurses to patients than anything else.

when i was much younger i found myself wandering through ICU in a hospital i was visiting - security was just non-existent as far as allowing access. Make a scene though and they friggin teleport in from somewhere and drag your ass out