sKott's Saiga 12-C Conversion

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Riveted trigger guard and an AK100 folder.... clearly superior and makes Mikhail smile.

sKott - Since this thread has been resurrected from the dead, I thought I should credit you with inspiration for my build.   For everyone else's information, one of the hardest aspects of this build

Very Nice!   What model did you start with? And did you do the work on it?   What mags do you use, and also which would be the best to get?   I like the idea of wood on this! Is there any avail

Posted Images

Nice.

What is the item in your Avatar?

I belive it is a DIAS for an AR?

sKott can you post measurements of the selector stop and trigger guard mod's you did? Nice write up.

I will post them as soon I get it back from riveting. - Should be around the 2nd of January.

P1040251.jpg

I had Dinzag Arms modify a G2 Double Hook trigger to work with a Saiga 12. I reused the spring from the original FCG. He had to shave the hammer face, shorten the pin shaft for the BHO Lever and polished the rest of the surfaces the make contact.

I reused the spring from the original FCG. He had to shave the hammer face, shorten the pin shaft for the BHO Lever and polished the rest of the surfaces the make contact.

That's turning out REAL sweet man! It's making me have flashbacks!! :smoke:

saiga12folded.jpg

saiga12latchfront.jpg

saiga12latchassembled.jpg

saiga12trunnionright.jpg

saiga12muzzle.jpg

:smoke:

Where did you get the "C" stamp from? What size? etc. I'd like to stamp mine...

Looking back with hindsight I should have stamped it with a "K". Or maybe "C/K" :rolleyes:

Just a generic set of stamps from the machine supply companies (Harbor Freight, J&L, Enco, etc.). I have several sizes. Maybe a 3/16"?? The funny thing is I have two set of different sized Cyrillic font stamps from Russia and the US set font matched better!! :rolleyes: Duh.

Edited by tomovich

I got the receiver back from Elk River yesterday and proceeded with the test fit of all of the parts. 5 US Compliance parts installed: K-Var Pistol Grip (1), Dinzag Arms US FCG (3), Tromix Gas Piston Puck (1). I believe my parts count is within compliance. If it is not please someone let me know.

Elk River welded all of the holes, welded the pistol grip plate, riveted the rear receiver and trigger guard. ($150 + tax)

P1040258.jpg

Selector side

P1040260.jpg

Rail Side I had to flatten the domed rivets on this side with a file to allow the stock to fold. I cannot remember... Are they all flat or just this side?

P1040269.jpg

This was the pain in the butt. I spent about an hour truing to get everything to fit using the BHO and the Retaining plate.

P1040270.jpg

Another shot of the double hook trigger.

P1040265.jpg

Retaining latch installed. Had to use a regular e-clip to secure the pin - I'm still waiting for the factory clip from Oleg. This will work for the time being.

P1040263.jpg

Back Selector Side

P1040264.jpg

Back Rail Side

P1040262.jpg

Extended

P1040266.jpg

Folded Rail Side

P1040268.jpg

Folded Selector Side

Hopefully I will get to test fire it today. After I make sure everything is working I will get Elk River to parkerize and I will Molly Resin the S-12 C. I also plan on sending the bolt carrier, rear locking pin and BHO lever to Elite Custom Plating to be hard chromed. and then It should be done.

Edited by sKott
Could someone take a look and verify that the Hammer spring is installed correctly?

Looking at your pic above it appears to be installed correctly, Are you having problems with it?

sKott's pic

post-6703-1200011383_thumb.jpg

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet. - for some reason it just looked funny.

I got back home and checked and it is the same as my AK's and they work just fine.

Just want to make sure all is well. I hope to test it over the weekend.

And the finish product pics???

How did she turn out? :wub:

I still have to get it refinished but so far so good

P1040262.jpg

More picts on the post from Jan 4th

Edited by sKott
  • 2 weeks later...
Any problems with the carrier hitting the rear trunion??

I have a setup here, but after doing some research awhile back I just let it collect dust. I thought that I read about the carrier being a problem.

Either way, excellent job.

Thanks -

You have to modify the trunnion slightly for the carrier to miss the trunnion.

Here is a picture of a Saiga 12C Trunnion that was destroyed during demill. The area in green shows roughly what needs to be removed on a regular AK 100 Folding trunnion.

P1040311.jpg

I bought it to use as a hole locator. Works rather well, Just had to shave the hinges off of the other side. - Bolt it up to the existing receiver and drill the 10mm Hole. then go back and re-drill with an 11mm on the hook side. I also use the old receiver parts to use for a template for the rest of the cutting.

sKott:

Quick question... can you post the hole sizes for all the rivets/pins for your conversion?

I used a:

4mm (5/32") to drill the 3rd rivet hole, the retaining latch pin hole, the spot weld holes for the Grip plate, and the trigger guard holes.

a 10mm to drill the locking pin hole and then came back with an 11mm to make it the correct size.

Hope this helps.

Looking forward to your refinish pictures.

I'm sitting here patiently, waiting to see how yours turns out. I copied your trigger guard (actually a lot more work than I expected) and am going to copy your paint work. (I hope I am not violating any patents.)

post-4457-1201020947_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldandslow
Looking forward to your refinish pictures.

I'm sitting here patiently, waiting to see how yours turns out. I copied your trigger guard (actually a lot more work than I expected) and am going to copy your paint work. (I hope I am not violating any patents.)

This may not be appropriate in this forum. I apologize sKott. I will happily remove it. But I would like to buy one of these from You, if You were willing to make it. Or We could think of something else(hint hint) that I have that You would trade.

If not maybe oldandslow would be up for the pain in the butt for some monetary compensation.

Thanks in advance everyone.

• 1 month later...

Not finished yet....

I did however get the Kobra Red Dot optic for it.

P1040947.jpg

P1040946.jpg

P1040945.jpg

I posted the rest of the Kobra pictures on another topic.

According to my list All I have left is

Parkerization

MollyResin

Hard Chrome Plating

And an ACE Case Bag.

I have to say this has been one of the most expensive conversion/builds I've ever done.

But I would not have done it any differently. It is exactly as I imagined it.