If you already have a name on the lower, which you should, you don't need to put your name on it. The original maker is fine, as I explained above.

One reason is if you engrave it with your name, now the ATF thinks there are two guns floating around that happen to have the same serial number. If you're not creating a gun, then you are modifying one.

If you already have a name on the lower, which you should, you don't need to put your name on it.

Didn't you read the letter I posted? Originally the ATF put out you didn't need to, but then they changed their minds. Unless something's changed, if you make a SBR on a Form 1, you are the manufacturer.

Edited by KySoldier

I just sent off a Form 1 for my first AR SBR on Wednesday of last week and I'm planning on engraving the lower when the stamp comes back.

But, I didn't think engraving was needed when I was in the process of my first SBR (Arsenal 107CR), so I called the ATF and spoke with Anton Wood back in July (2007). I point blank asked him that if I was modifying an existing firearm which was already engraved with the original manufacturer's name and address, would I have to engrave my info too?? He said yes... since I was the maker of a new NFA firearm.

Lammy... you do make a great argument tho. And then KY's letter....... I just love how the ATF is so ambiguous.

If you already have a name on the lower, which you should, you don't need to put your name on it.

Didn't you read the letter I posted? Originally the ATF put out you didn't need to, but then they changed their minds. Unless something's changed, if you make a SBR on a Form 1, you are the manufacturer.

Oh I read it, and this is far from the first place I've seen it but did you read what I wrote?

"There are a couple letters from the ATF floating around with conflicting information (surprise) but what is more important than their interpretation is the actual Form 1 itself, and it's included definitions because this is what you sign, and what they sign and approve"

That letter, as far as I'm concerned is along the lines of if a police officer told you to rob a bank, does that mean you didn't break the law? Tell me the ATF is known for their accuracy.

I don't know you. You could have built 100 sbr's and know the laws in and out. Me? I'm just a bottom feeder who only made one without a hitch. Let's remove the internet forums for a minute, and all the debate over the process, and just read the real, downloadable ATF form with the definition attachment as I posted. I see it pretty black and white.

I called the ATF and spoke with Anton Wood back in July (2007). I point blank asked him that if I was modifying an existing firearm which was already engraved with the original manufacturer's name and address, would I have to engrave my info too?? He said yes... since I was the maker of a new NFA firearm.

What's even crazier is that their phone conversations aren't legally binding, although you could most likely trust the answer.

Oh I read it, and this is far from the first place I've seen it but did you read what I wrote?

"There are a couple letters from the ATF floating around with conflicting information (surprise) but what is more important than their interpretation is the actual Form 1 itself, and it's included definitions because this is what you sign, and what they sign and approve"

That letter, as far as I'm concerned is along the lines of if a police officer told you to rob a bank, does that mean you didn't break the law? Tell me the ATF is known for their accuracy.

Honestly, no, I didn't read your post. I don't spend a whole lotta time on here like I used to so no, I don't read really long posts. But, if you have a letter from the ATF, that is legally binding....their interpretations do matter because they are enforced....it didn't used to be illegal to have full auto parts alongside a semiauto firearm, now they consider it "readily adaptible to fire fully auto." They don't want full auto bolts in ARs, although all Colt semis came with tem way back when...and they don't want shorty uppers sitting next to an unregistered lower. Its all in their chaning their interpretations of the law. No one needs to make a big deal out of it, I'm just making conversation.

You can't form 1 a gun part. You have to form 1 a firearm. Upper receivers are not considered the firearm, lower receivers are.

I think that we can all agree on.

• 3 weeks later...
You MUST engrave the LOWER. That is what is considered the firearm. An upper is a gun part.

Normally I'd agree, except the letter said the barrel was OK too. But perhaps the rifle in question was an AK or something else with a semi permanent barrel...I don't remember :rolleyes: If it were me I'd just engrave the receiver anyway.

I am the person that wrote the letter and got the response from the ATF (this was also published in last years SAR magazine). The gun in question was an HK MP5. The barrel can't be removed easily so it it part of the fiream. I was able to engrave my barrel based on this letter. Your AR is different. You need to engrave the reciver.

Good luck!

You MUST engrave the LOWER. That is what is considered the firearm. An upper is a gun part.

Negative. The law says you must engrave the barrel, frame, or receiver.

Most agree that it is not wise to engrave the barrel, or upper receiver, because if you put another upper on that weapon, you will have an un-marked SBR. Even with a 16+ inch barrel, the registered lower is still an NFA weapon, and should be marked accordingly.

A SBR can be un-SBR'd, and removed from the registry.

It's OK to make a pistol into a rifle, and back into a pistol again, without putting the weapon on the NFA registry.

Of course, I could be full of shit. So look it up for yourself.