Bird cage for Saiga .308

Hey everyone I have been thinking about dressing up my newly restocked saiga .308 with some sort of flash hider/ supressor.

I considered attaching an Actual SVD frontsite/muzzlebreak sight base but I can't find any for sale anymore and I heard unfortunately that dragunovparts.com went out of business I wondered if Izhmash made muzzle breaks for saigas that replaced the front site. Or if I will have to make or adapt one. I thought that an M60 muzzle break or a PKM muzzle break would look pretty close.

Any ideas or other options? Im sure someone makes a muzzle break that is close to the SVD's and im sure I have seen saigas in other countries with the new cone shaped SVD style muzzle break.

Thanks

Buck Shott

I am looking for the answer to that myself. I am working on a solution for threads on mine. I have tryed 2 different adapters - made by 2 different contributors here, without success. I think my "beast" - a tank cannon style break works TOO well.

Make that worked. The last failure was not good for the beast's health. I will be doing an autopsy thread when I can finish tearing everythind down to see and take pix.

Dinzag bored and tapped out an m60 hider for my gun. It's along the same lines as a drag flash hider. There is a place in the PRC that had M60 hiders. I think it was northridge international gun parts, or something like that. I think you could get 2 for $30 last time I checked. Have Danzig work both of them over for you, and you'll have a spare for your next saiga. Make sure he also bores out the end a bit just in case the tapping result isn't perfectly square. I think he charged like $20 or something, but you will need to thread your bbl and set the site base back too. A bit of a project, but if I can do it anyone can.

I found a site that sell SVD "like" flash hiders for the AK.

http://www.impactglobalarms.com/Sales/Sale...sales1169405292

I presume these are 14mm LH thread but I am not sure the diameter of a Saiga .308 barrel vs. A standard AK barrel.

The M60 break might be the way to go. I know how to drill and tap and setting the front site back doesn't look like it would be that hard.

Is there anyway you can post a pic the m60 flash hider on your rifle Buckandqaurter?

Thanks

Buck Shott

I too am looking for flash hider similar to the SVD. I have an FAL flash hider (looks similar to the SVD style). I did some research on this site and found an old post where someone asked if it will fit a Saiga. I think the answer was "no"

If I can't get the FAL flash hider to work I would like to maybe purchase the M60 flash hiders.

Anybody know anything about these two:

http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index....17e39106a3cf320

http://www.21stcenturyairsoft.com/details/AK02&cat=91

I know they are air soft so maybe it's junk?

Or how about this one:

http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/svd_flash_hider.jpg

Who makes it? and can it fit the Saiga?

Mike

I do not think the Nodak spud would fit. From what Danzig has on his site it would require turning the barrel done about 3mm in diameter. His site specifies a 17x1 mm threading for the .308, which I assume means a 17mm diameter and a 1mm pitch. that means all standard AK muzzle devices are out. I would love to try my hand at making my own but not sure if that is legal. One of my fiends has a full mill and a very nice lathe in his shed so I have access to the equipment need be.

As far as the airsoft stuff, I am not sure it would stand up to the rigors of real weapons fire. The best bet it is to find stuff from real guns and adapt them. Problem there is it need to be US made for parts count. Too bad all the good looking muzzle devices are foreign in manufacture (i.e. SVD, FAL, MAG). Oh well, on with the search. Anyone know where to get surplus M60 flash suppressors?

I do not think the Nodak spud would fit. From what Danzig has on his site it would require turning the barrel done about 3mm in diameter. His site specifies a 17x1 mm threading for the .308, which I assume means a 17mm diameter and a 1mm pitch. that means all standard AK muzzle devices are out. I would love to try my hand at making my own but not sure if that is legal. One of my fiends has a full mill and a very nice lathe in his shed so I have access to the equipment need be.

As far as the airsoft stuff, I am not sure it would stand up to the rigors of real weapons fire. The best bet it is to find stuff from real guns and adapt them. Problem there is it need to be US made for parts count. Too bad all the good looking muzzle devices are foreign in manufacture (i.e. SVD, FAL, MAG). Oh well, on with the search. Anyone know where to get surplus M60 flash suppressors?

Yeah, buckandaquarterquarterstaff mentioned here:

http://www.northridgeinc.com/I_m60.htm

two for $30.00. Wanna go in on half?