.308 VER 21

Just wanted to say that there is headway being made on the VER 21 .308 from Saiga. It is now available for pre-order on the web at (( https://www.gilbertsguns.com/Rifles/Saiga/S...+8+Barrel+Rifle )). I am on the list for one, and cant wait to get ahold of it. If any of you Conversion Guru's wanna have a look at it when I get it, I'll ship it to you so that you can check on what can be done with them. Maybee their's something you can tweak while your checking it out :)

Anyway... fingers crossed, it's soon to arive :dollar:

Robert,

Beaumont.

i dont mean to be negative but whats so special about this thing y not just buy a normal s308 and convert it am i missing something

Its one of those most of the rest of the world already enjoys. Factory thumbhole with matching wood handguards. I'd have bought one if I hadn't already converted one.

Here's what's the difference for me.

I want a Thumbhole/SVD type stock. This has it. To convert it to 922r to accept US made 20rd mags, all you have to do is change out the hammer. Or, if you want to, the whole FCG. this gives you 3 us parts + 3 in the mag. Plenty. AND you can put the stock 8rd back in, why? Because you havn't changed the gun's set up at all. If YOU convert it from sporter to PG, you have to add 4 parts (Stock/grip/fcg(3)) in some combination. I only really need 1. 1 US part + the US HC Mags, or 1 part and the stock 8rd mags, or NO parts and I still have a thumbhole. No cutting the receiver, no buying parts, just a scope and a bipod (If i want them.)

Plus, what if these are the ONLY 200 ever imported into the US and you keep them BONE stock. or just change out the FCG for HC mags and keep the original FCG. It's just that I want to convert a saiga to look almost identical anyway, so why not just buy it stock? Also, I can add VEPR stocks to it (it looks like it at least) and I won't have changed the configuration. I wonder if there is a VEPR .308 SVD stock?

Oh, and I checked Gilbert's to make sure I was still on the Waiting list since I announced this new rifle to our lil' community 4 months ago, I am. So pre-order is just "Waiting List". But i had to be sure :) Also, I can use Foreign made stocks on the handguard and buttstock without worry.... Maybe I'll look into making an angled-to-90* adapter for the receiver to allow Stamped foreign Thumbhole stocks to be installed.

I called RAAC today but got no answer. Did anyone else talk to RAAC about these? Ace said someone said that these would be available tomorrow (which is today now), but last month when I talked to RAAC they said they were still being shipped as the Russians had pushed the order off a few shipments. I'm wondering if the "Tomorrow" was from RAAC or from Gilberts.

Edited by SaigaNoobie

Ok, you guys are jumping the gun. (HAH! A PUN!)

I just got off the phone with RAAC.

They are IN ROUTE now. He has Serial #s and everything. But it takes a few weeks to get from Russia to Germany to the US. Then a week to get them to distributors. He expects them in the US by Mid Jan and to the distributors by the end of Jan. Only a couple months late. I guess the Russians are still getting the hang of this whole "Capitalism" thing :)

Good news is: By the time they're here, you'll have an entire extra month to save up 450-500 to buy one!

This is my last Saiga I want.

X39 - November

S-12 - December

.308 - January

Edited by SaigaNoobie
IMO it's not different enough but I think that it will have a better trigger pull.

It has too, the factory 308 trigger is rediculous...a product of forcing a perfectly good design to fit our PC sporter style.

I guess the Russians are still getting the hang of this whole "Capitalism" thing :)

When they really catch on they'll have an assembly line for each model....from what I hear they run a batch of one gun, retool EVERYTHING, and run a different model.

Considering you can add the foreign thumbhole "saiganov" looking stock to an otherwise factory imported x39 or .308, i'd say that no, the count is just 14 like any other rifle.

To use U.S. High Caps you'd need to replace the : Hammer. Whoopty do!

Based on the dimensions on the RAA website, the butt must be shorter in length than the standard butt. (The overall length of the gun is less.) I don't think I'd want that.

http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga_308.htm

http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga_308v21.htm

the gun is shorter because the entire grip stock group is moved forward a few inches. I doubt the length of pul is much shorter then a standard Saiga. Look closely at the picture, the thumbhole pistol grip is under the receiver like an AK grip, not further back like a standard stock. This accounts for the shorter length of the rifle overall. I bet it feels like the old MAK-90s with the thumbhole stock.

Based on the dimensions on the RAA website, the butt must be shorter in length than the standard butt. (The overall length of the gun is less.) I don't think I'd want that.

http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga_308.htm

http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga_308v21.htm

the gun is shorter because the entire grip stock group is moved forward a few inches. I doubt the length of pul is much shorter then a standard Saiga. Look closely at the picture, the thumbhole pistol grip is under the receiver like an AK grip, not further back like a standard stock. This accounts for the shorter length of the rifle overall. I bet it feels like the old MAK-90s with the thumbhole stock.

You're right.

Generally, I've never had the opportunity to shoot a long gun that has a pistol grip. I'm a city guy; that's my excuse. What would a pistol grip do for me?

KYsoldier: The Norinco Hunter is proof that sporting triggers of this type don't have to suck. Then again, I'm talking about a Chinese design (very similar, really) and a Russian design respectively. As for worksmanship... that's anyone's guess.

• 2 weeks later...