IMPORTANT TROMIX NEWS

I just scored, last month, a used propane generator with only 209 hours, it's rated at 57KW on single phase and has a big ass International 549 V8. Since our house is total electric, and my 10kw welder/generator won't run the heat pump, I had to do something. When it arrived at the shop to unload, it didn't take but about 1 hour to have propane tank hooked up, new battery, busted off and running. We "engineered" a panel to hook up different pumps and things to load it up, that bad boy didn't even groan. So I don't think I did too bad for only $1750.00, and yeh, it's not new, but by NO means a piece of crap, enclosure is in good shape and looks pretty decent. Only thing left to do is pour a pad, dig trench for pipe and wires, purchase transfer switch (ouch), pay electrician to wire it (BIG OUCH), have a big ass propane tank set in the yard and then HOPE that I'll never need it. :)

Hope everyone thaws out, we have friends in north west MO that are having it rough, but at least they have a 5kw gen to run fan on heater (gas) and lights and charge cell phones.

My guess on this weather situation is that Tony is friends with W, and W let Tony play with the weather machine that the skunk works is perfecting, because everyone knows that W caused the Hurrycanes, he was playing with it when Dick was cleaning his gun and not watching him. :):) It all fits into place, W caused the Hurrycanes to help the oil companies, he started the war to help Dick and Haliburton, and he let Tony play with the weather machine to help Tony increase prices and delay shipping the guns so he can use the poor peoples money longer, and Tony is building W a "special" S12 as a "gift" for letting him play with the weather machine. :)

purchase transfer switch (ouch), pay electrician to wire it (BIG OUCH),

Sounds like an awesome generator.

FYI, it is much cheaper and easier to back feed your panel and use a generator interlock kit.

Kit costs about $50, and can be installed in about 30 min. Then you'd just need an exterior outlet to plug your generator into.

And yes, it all should meet code ;)

FYI, it is much cheaper and easier to back feed your panel and use a generator interlock kit.

Kit costs about $50, and can be installed in about 30 min. Then you'd just need an exterior outlet to plug your generator into.

I apologize continuing to head of topic here, but you have to be extremely careful with kits like these. Will they connect your generator cheaply and give you power? Absolutely! But the problem is whether or not every wire, including the neutral, gets completely disconnected from the power grid when you switch to generator power. If not, you're risking energizing downed wires and putting utility workers, emergency responders, kids who can't resist checking out the damage, etc at risk when you power up your generator. And transformers work in reverse, so if the current you're pumping out hits one of those, there'll be upwards of 13,000 volts running through the "dead" lines on the other side. This is why they use transfer switches to connect generators to the electrical panel, so my advice is to spend the money and have the system installed correctly and safely by a licensed electrician.

Termite - that's a hell of a price for that generator. Nice find :up:

I apologize continuing to head of topic here, but you have to be extremely careful with kits like these. Will they connect your generator cheaply and give you power? Absolutely! But the problem is whether or not every wire, including the neutral, gets completely disconnected from the power grid when you switch to generator power. If not, you're risking energizing downed wires and putting utility workers, emergency responders, kids who can't resist checking out the damage, etc at risk when you power up your generator. And transformers work in reverse, so if the current you're pumping out hits one of those, there'll be upwards of 13,000 volts running through the "dead" lines on the other side. This is why they use transfer switches to connect generators to the electrical panel, so my advice is to spend the money and have the system installed correctly and safely by a licensed electrician.

The electrician doesn't necessarily need to be licensed. It just needs to be someone you trust. Cobra was having problems with his plug to his hot tub. I fixed it. I told him if I wasn't positive about what I was doing, I wouldn't do it.

The kit I'm talking about makes it physically impossible to backfeed the line when you are using the generator. It is an approved product/method for safely connecting a generator to an existing panel. It meets code in every jurisdiction that I'm familiar with.

MEPanel033a.jpg

I know a lot of people who simply backfeed the old fashion way. If they 'forget' to flip off the main, or if they accidently flip it on, then yes they can feed power through the lines and put electrical workers at risk.

The interlock, properly installed, solves that problem so long as the cover is on or closed (although iirc some kits attach to the interior of the panel and work when the cover is off).

This is the cheapest, safe, legal way to power the whole house with a generator. Some electricians do not like them... because they cannot make as much money by installing them imho.

$200 out the door versus $600-800+. Which is Joe Home owner more likely to pop for? And if he is simply told that it costs $800 with no cheaper alternative, then he is much more likely to illegally backfeed, which can be dangerous to a lineworker (not neccesarily dangerous though).

I too personally always suggest using a licensed electrician, but hire them for weekend work and pay them cash... skip hiring the electrical contractor (you'll save about 50%).

interlock = physically impossible to backfeed the actual grid when using a generator as long as your panel functions properly and the device is properly installed.

Edited by John_pro2a

NO BACK FEEDING will be done at my house. I'd rather have a real 200 amp transfer switch and be done with it. I've priced automatic switches and manual, the auto ones are pricey to say the least, and I'm not too lazy to flip a switch and walk 30 ft to flip the start switch on the gen. I currently have a small 10 circuit, 50 amp switch installed now for the welder/gen, to run lights, fridge, freezer, and especially the coffee pot, which I wired my self. I can do the wiring on the larger one, but for insurance purposes, I'll have to have it signed off on by electrician, and the power company doesn't take too kindly for home owners pulling their own meter to do work. The project is months off from being completed. The way I figure it is, if I do it right, it's done to code, it can only be a big + for me and the wife, IF we ever need it, and also a big + IF we ever decide to sale. I'll try and take a pic of it at the shop on Thursday and see if I can post it here. It's no beauty queen, and a coat of paint wouldn't hurt either, but there again, if it gets the job done, who cares. Oh yeh, it's rated at 85KW on 3 phase, so I could actually use it at the shop if I wanted too, for running motors to test pumps.

And I also ran the big ass wire, from box to hot tub (about 70 ft total) and did all the wiring for it to the GFI box, then to our hot tub, but that is single phase, 3 phase is about the same, just 1 more leg to deal with and have to make sure rotation of motor is correct. 3 phase has 2 low & 1 high legs, but still either 230 or 460.

Sorry for the long winded post, but momma is watching Gepretardy and I can't watch the military channel. :(:(

Found link to the auction, try this and see if it works, pictures are there, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290174198000

Edited by termite
I too personally always suggest using a licensed electrician, but hire them for weekend work and pay them cash... skip hiring the electrical contractor (you'll save about 50%).

Wow, I just learned if you're not licensed, you don't know anything. Amazing what one can learn. Guess I won't be working on any more plugs.

Wow, I just learned if you're not licensed, you don't know anything. Amazing what one can learn. Guess I won't be working on any more plugs.

Sure, put words in my mouth :P

I never said "thou shalt." I said 'I personally suggest."

Wire it yourself, by all means. Everyone works to their own level of comfort, safety and knowledge.

Wire it yourself, by all means. Everyone works to their own level of comfort, safety and knowledge.

I trust my wiring. Always have and aways will. Should have been a little more specific.

The kit I'm talking about makes it physically impossible to backfeed the line when you are using the generator. It is an approved product/method for safely connecting a generator to an existing panel. It meets code in every jurisdiction that I'm familiar with.

The interlock, properly installed, solves that problem so long as the cover is on or closed (although iirc some kits attach to the interior of the panel and work when the cover is off).

You got me wondering with this one, so I called my electrician buddy who did my setup. He said interlocks like the one you pictured meet the National Electical Code & National Fire Protection Code, but still recommends getting at least a two-pole double throw switch. Admittedly, he said the interlocks will work as intended in the vast majority of cases where the panel is in good condition, but there are still fault conditions that could create a backfeed situation. Which not only could electricute someone, but potentially destroy your generator when power is restored.

He's a good friend of mine & not trying to make any money here...that's just his take on them. YMMV

I trust my wiring. Always have and aways will. Should have been a little more specific.

Hmmm, if you're hanging with that Shannon dude, I'm not sure I trust your wiring, not that it has anything to do with electricity! :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Over the years, I found that is was the ones that "weren't RAPPED tight enough", to steer clear of.:):):) not the ones missing a little insulation :):):):) By the way, BOB how are the weather conditions, sorry for hi-jacking the thread. My friend in Weatherby, Mo., called today and he didn't even mention the weather, he was like a kid on Christmas morning because he's getting a new S-308 and talking 90 to nothing about 20 round mags and modifying the gun. And I was just informed a little while ago that my better half has decided to do the same thing this year as she did last year for Christmas, not get me anything, because "she isn't good at buying guns for me", DAMN baby, if it shoots good and makes a big BOOM, that'll be fine. But she said NO, you go get what ever you want. Now that is like opening the door to the hen house to the wolf, last year it cost her a new V-93, sear ready and SHORTLY after that, the V-53 pistol, sear ready. EVERYBODY knows that you have to order 2 at a time to get a "good deal" on pricing. So guess what, the gun shop is open on Saturday, and I'll be there when the doors open, maybe before then, looking in the windows and deciding what Santa wants me to have. He does have a transferable M16, but I'm not going to push my luck. :):) I just had a Ruger mini 14 ranch rifle target follow me home last week. Any suggestions?????

By the way, BOB how are the weather conditions...

Everything's back to normal in Tulsa, except for all the trees. There are brush piles EVERYWHERE, some even blocking the streets.

I believe pretty much everyone has their power back on. Thanks for asking!