.338 Federal

Could a Saiga .308 be rebarrelled to .338 federal. If you could I think the magazines and receiver would not have to be modified. You would have one bad Rifle suitable for taking down any Game. If someone can do this what would it cost?

With enough time and money, anything is possible. I don't think what you're suggesting is all that outlandish, either. But is the .338 so much more than a .308 to go through the trouble? Maybe. It'd be cool, but, for me personally, I'd spend the money elsewhere. :)

Nice cartridge....but how much money? You could probably buy a rifle that fires (ie; Bolt action Remington) for what it would cost you to build one after all is said and done. Plus, your 308 will be tied at some gunsmith's shop for God only knows how long.....and then you'll have to send it back for retweeking after it doesn't work right the first time you get it back!! (I've had guns from many major smiths and almost all of them to a tee had to be sent back!). If you add up the time....your gun is out of service...you'll have to buy another one to take its place. Besides....how many rounds does it take to kill game? My point being is why do you need a semi-automatic hunting rifle in that caliber when a bolt gun will do. A 308 will take any game on this continent as well if the nut behind the butt does their part. If proper bullet selection is used....the 308 is power enough.

On one thread here they showed the new Saiga 30-06 semi-auto. If power is what you want....then this is your choice. If you use the new heavy magnum loadings that increase your power to 300 Win.Mag velocities....this would take any game on this continent. Besides...as the Old saying goes: There's nothing in this world you can't fix with $700 and a 30-06!! There's also the Browning Bar in 338 Mag. , if a .33 caliber is what you want.

I will be purchasing a .338 Federal Bolt Action soon. I will either get the Tikka T3 light or a Ruger M77 Hawkeye. You are right about it being expensive. I was quoted a price by on of the members here of around $700 parts and labor. I think it would be well worth it. I may have it done, but I am going to wait until I get my bolt action and see how I like it first.

BTW I shot a deer at approx. 400 yards with my .308 Saiga this weekend. I had my gun sighted for 100 so it took me 3 shots. I missed the first two times and then the deer turned to face me. The third shot hit it right under the eye.

I will be purchasing a .338 Federal Bolt Action soon. I will either get the Tikka T3 light or a Ruger M77 Hawkeye. You are right about it being expensive. I was quoted a price by on of the members here of around $700 parts and labor. I think it would be well worth it. I may have it done, but I am going to wait until I get my bolt action and see how I like it first.

BTW I shot a deer at approx. 400 yards with my .308 Saiga this weekend. I had my gun sighted for 100 so it took me 3 shots. I missed the first two times and then the deer turned to face me. The third shot hit it right under the eye.

Can you shoot .338 Lapua rounds through the Tikka or Ruger?

338 Lapua and 338 Federal are completely different rounds. There is also the 338 Winchester Magnum, the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum, and the upcoming 338 Hornady Compact Magnum. Also in 338 caliber is the 340 Weatherby, the 338-378 Weatherby (if that's what they call it), the 330 Dakota, and several other less known and wildcat cartridges.

The attraction of the 338 Federal is that it is a necked up 308 Winchester and can be chambered in many popular guns chambered in 308, like some of our favorite military rifles.

The 338 Federal is just a necked up 308, so it should feed without a problem. If anything, the different bullet profile might cause feeding problems, but I doubt it. I told Jammer you wanted to do this and he said he'd cut you a barrel if you're still interested.

Like BattleRifle said, the 338 Lapua is worlds away from the 338 Federal.

753px-Anti-personnel_sniper_cartridges.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think the short answer is yes it could be done.

I would imagine Tony at Tromix could make it work. If you are willing to wait on his backlog.

His work is top notch, I do not know the AK world as well as the AR world as far as smiths go but Tony is the only one I would have attempt such a thing.