Spy glass for .223 newb

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Forums and also new to the Saiga.

Got my .223 w/ 16" barrell as an early christmas present this year. At first I though it was a cheap gun because it cost less than the Turkish and Chinese rip-offs that were at the show, but when I actually did a little research about them and found out that they were made in Russia by the original manufacturer,...

well need less to say that I was exstatic and have jumped in with both feet. I am so happy with my new toy and want to do a lot with it.

Verbal Vomitting aside, I was wondering what type of scope I should put on her. I am getting the Saiga Skeleton stock for christmas and also a Dual picatinny side rail scope and accessory mount. Also hoping to get one of Dinzag's Pin-on style brakes. I'm going for a Dragunov-esque look, but I can't afford an actual SVD scope.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any scopes that would help me complete my Dragunov look, without breaking my wallet?

The scope you select should be based on it's intended use.

I concluded from this part of your posting "help me complete my Dragunov look" that you are more concerned about how your rifle "looks" rather than how it "shoots".

If making your rifle "look kewl" is your main intent then any scope that looks good to you will do.

But if you actually intend to shoot your rifle then we need to know what range and what your target is. This will determine what scope you should look for. For most general uses a standard Belarus POSP 4x24 with AK type clamp mount would be my first choice. I personally have the NPZ version of this scope with the older original Saiga SVD type clamp and it works well.

I would also advise you to not put a brake on your rifle as it can (and most likely will) affect POI and may screw up your accuracy. There is a separate thread here about threading for a break where I gave this same warning. A clamp on brake would be even worse.

Hope this helps.

I concluded from this part of your posting "help me complete my Dragunov look" that you are more concerned about how your rifle "looks" rather than how it "shoots".

If making your rifle "look kewl" is your main intent then any scope that looks good to you will do.

But if you actually intend to shoot your rifle then we need to know what range and what your target is. This will determine what scope you should look for. For most general uses a standard Belarus POSP 4x24 with AK type clamp mount would be my first choice. I personally have the NPZ version of this scope with the older original Saiga SVD type clamp and it works well.

I would also advise you to not put a brake on your rifle as it can (and most likely will) affect POI and may screw up your accuracy. There is a separate thread here about threading for a break where I gave this same warning. A clamp on brake would be even worse.

Hope this helps.

I will mostly be firing at targets around 75- 100 yards away. Target shooting and coyotes. I want the sniper/ mil-dot reticle. I can't stand your run-of-the mill deer hunting reticle (too plain). I'll look into that POSP. What does the NPZ stand for?

I also found a red dot sight that's like 2X magnification that I plan on using also. So I need a picatinny or weaver style rail.

Hope this helps.

I will mostly be firing at targets around 75- 100 yards away. Target shooting and coyotes. I want the sniper/ mil-dot reticle. I can't stand your run-of-the mill deer hunting reticle (too plain). I'll look into that POSP. What does the NPZ stand for?

I also found a red dot sight that's like 2X magnification that I plan on using also. So I need a picatinny or weaver style rail.

Can't remember what the NPZ stood for but I think the NPZ line was a slightly more costly and better quality version of the POSP scope family line.

I honestly now wish I would have simply gotten the all black basic POSP 4x24 with the AK mount as that would put my scope mounted slightly more forward than it is now. The NPZ I got was rather expensive and took forever to ship since it came from Russia. I would not suggest an NPZ.

For your intended use I would go with my original suggestion. Basic POSP 4x24 with AK mount. This way you have the scope you need for 100yds and you also keep the Drag look. And you do it without breaking the bank at around $100 IIRC.

With the AK mount you may be able to use it on any future AKs you may buy. With the older Saiga SVD stlye mount like my NPZ has, it would only mount on a Saiga and nothing else.

The POSP scopes are a pain to sight in since they are offset a little but once sighted in they will stay there and they are built like a tank IMHO. The kewlness factor is built in as well. There is something evil in having a Minute of Man rangefinder under your reticle. :devil:

Only down side is that the POSP 4x24 uses a chevron reticle. Not sure anyone makes a POSP with mill dot but you could check Kalika Optics as they may have a 6x POSP with mildot.

If you prefer the weaver rail then forget about the POSP scopes. With the rail you have a whole universe of scopes available and in that case I would actually go to local retailers and look through the scopes until I found what I wanted.

Edited by GonzoX

Hope this helps.

Thank you! Your insight has been very helpfull!

Can't remember what the NPZ stood for but I think the NPZ line was a slightly more costly and better quality version of the POSP scope family line.

I honestly now wish I would have simply gotten the all black basic POSP 4x24 with the AK mount as that would put my scope mounted slightly more forward than it is now. The NPZ I got was rather expensive and took forever to ship since it came from Russia. I would not suggest an NPZ.

For your intended use I would go with my original suggestion. Basic POSP 4x24 with AK mount. This way you have the scope you need for 100yds and you also keep the Drag look. And you do it without breaking the bank at around $100 IIRC.

With the AK mount you may be able to use it on any future AKs you may buy. With the older Saiga SVD stlye mount like my NPZ has, it would only mount on a Saiga and nothing else.

The POSP scopes are a pain to sight in since they are offset a little but once sighted in they will stay there and they are built like a tank IMHO. The kewlness factor is built in as well. There is something evil in having a Minute of Man rangefinder under your reticle. :devil:

Only down side is that the POSP 4x24 uses a chevron reticle. Not sure anyone makes a POSP with mill dot but you could check Kalika Optics as they may have a 6x POSP with mildot.

If you prefer the weaver rail then forget about the POSP scopes. With the rail you have a whole universe of scopes available and in that case I would actually go to local retailers and look through the scopes until I found what I wanted.

If You look at other types of scopes, you might look at the Leapards scopes. I think I got mine from Cheaper than Dirt. Nothing really fancy about the scope just a simple 4x but I wanted the mildot and it comes on many of the models offered. I have heard that some of the scopes are bad, but the company has a lifetime warenty. I think I got mine for $30. You can get a 3-9x 40 for about $60 if you want to go really big. I did not need that since I set mine up to shoot coyotes at about 200 yards.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck. Happy shooting.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Forums and also new to the Saiga.

Got my .223 w/ 16" barrell as an early christmas present this year. At first I though it was a cheap gun because it cost less than the Turkish and Chinese rip-offs that were at the show, but when I actually did a little research about them and found out that they were made in Russia by the original manufacturer,...

well need less to say that I was exstatic and have jumped in with both feet. I am so happy with my new toy and want to do a lot with it.

Verbal Vomitting aside, I was wondering what type of scope I should put on her. I am getting the Saiga Skeleton stock for christmas and also a Dual picatinny side rail scope and accessory mount. Also hoping to get one of Dinzag's Pin-on style brakes. I'm going for a Dragunov-esque look, but I can't afford an actual SVD scope.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any scopes that would help me complete my Dragunov look, without breaking my wallet?

Seen some PSOP scopes from JGsales.com at about $120 - it's not that much, mounts on the rail and gives you that commie look/feel. I think they have the weird rangefinding reticle as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I just Mounted my Granddad's old Bushnell 3-9X Banner, and couldn't be happier.

I only put it on there because I didn't have any other scopes right now, and the sentimental value. I went with the weaver style mount from Belarus

BP-02 I think. I had to adjust the crosshair damn near all the way down the get it sighted at 75 yds. though.

I honestly have had horrible luck with getting a standard scope sighted in on a saiga with a weaver rail on the sidemount... there never seems to be quite enough adjustment for them to get where they need to be. Although... I have also found that my saigas shoot just as well with the irons so I have just made it habit to practice with them with the irons... I can get 3 - 4 inch groups with 5 rounds at 100 yards consistently with the irons on both the 223's and the X39 saigas I own. Thats good enough for me! :up:

:smoke:

in my opinion, PK-AS scopes look pretty damn neat... though no magnification. but if you're shooting out to 100 meters, you dont need any.

features a red dot for low light & night, but also features a black dot for good lighting conditions (and backup if your battery fails, i suppose).

it comes in many versions, including a standard weaver model, and two for AK sidemounts (one left off-center and another centered on the bore).

looks weird on a western weapon though ^^

post-5168-1201355704_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1201355720.jpg

in my opinion, PK-AS scopes look pretty damn neat... though no magnification. but if you're shooting out to 100 meters, you dont need any.

features a red dot for low light & night, but also features a black dot for good lighting conditions (and backup if your battery fails, i suppose).

it comes in many versions, including a standard weaver model, and two for AK sidemounts (one left off-center and another centered on the bore).

looks weird on a western weapon though ^^

Bad suA, Bad suA, hey how it shoots brother? :D

if is yours, nice combo you have there.

Edited by vjor

sorry, if i gave off the wrong impression, but no it's not mine. but it's the only picture i had around.

i'm currently mostly into pistols for now, but only a matter of time before i wander into longarms... a semi-auto saiga AK104 clone and a S12 seem damn interesting indeed... but loads of hoops to jump through (and they're more expensive over here than in the US obviously, but at least i wouldnt need to do conversions)

my latest addition was a Beretta 87 Target (as pictured). i needed a new .22LR, got tired of the Browning Buckmark used to shoot with.

anyhow, back on topic, a fellow shooter at my range has a PK-AS on his yugo. pretty neat optic, though ugly.

post-5168-1201444868_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1201444876_thumb.jpg

sorry, if i gave off the wrong impression, but no it's not mine. but it's the only picture i had around.

i'm currently mostly into pistols for now, but only a matter of time before i wander into longarms... a semi-auto saiga AK104 clone and a S12 seem damn interesting indeed... but loads of hoops to jump through (and they're more expensive over here than in the US obviously, but at least i wouldnt need to do conversions)

my latest addition was a Beretta 87 Target (as pictured). i needed a new .22LR, got tired of the Browning Buckmark used to shoot with.

anyhow, back on topic, a fellow shooter at my range has a PK-AS on his yugo. pretty neat optic, though ugly.

Bro that is nice, ( man that pistol looks great)

Yea man, the PK-AS is butt ugly, but for the price cant complain, work the same as

American made red dots that cost hundreds more. Like the feature of black dot

read dot, my only beef with it is that sits a little to high on and ultimak mount

but apart from that like the stuff a lot.

Edited by vjor

back to the posp scopes...i have one in 8x.

question...

why are they that ugly gray/black patchy color? any purpose except for russians having bad taste?

i know they make them in all black..but those seem hard to find. atleast i couldn't find any.

• 4 weeks later...