Pin on muzzle brake

OK, well you know how the Saiga has that sleeve in front of the front sight block, actually, it's part of the sight block. Does that thing slide over the whole thing? I'm trying to avoid threading my barrel because that's means I'm gonna have to get whatever brake I'm using welded on so it can't be removed(Thank's New Jersey!) If I can just slide this thing over the end of my gun as it is and pin it on it would save me a ton of work.

OK, well you know how the Saiga has that sleeve in front of the front sight block, actually, it's part of the sight block. Does that thing slide over the whole thing? I'm trying to avoid threading my barrel because that's means I'm gonna have to get whatever brake I'm using welded on so it can't be removed(Thank's New Jersey!) If I can just slide this thing over the end of my gun as it is and pin it on it would save me a ton of work.
I'm afraid you're out of luck. The outer sleeve needs to be be removed from in front of the sight tower. These were made for bare-barrelled WASRs and SARs and similar.

THANKS NEW JERSEY!!

Well that's kind of what I figured. It looks like my front sight block has to come off one way or another. I've got to figure out what I'm gonna do now. I replaced my front sight block about a month ago with one that had a loop for a cleaning rod and really should have cut that front piece off then. I guess I'm gonna be looking for a brass punch and bringing the gun to my job on saturday to press the thing off.

You guys hit the Tech Section and see how to get that ring off the front of the barrel. No need to exchange the whole front sight block.

+1

I just cut one of mine off the other day and threaded the barrel. The whole operation was done inside an hour. At least on the .308 there is no sleeve to remove in front of the FSB.

Another option that may be better for you, get up with dinzag and get him to just bore one of his $20 '74 brakes out to fit over the sleeve and attach it with loctite and set screws set into drilled dimples in the sleeve. If that's not "permanent" enough for Jersey, you could have it silver soldered on instead. It would look much better than the bulky slip on brake anyway.

Just asking so don't freak out!

Not sure of the legality 922r and all that, but the "shroud" on my .223 is 18mm

If legal, would there be enough "meat" left after reaming out a 14 to 24 adapter so that it could be attached to the "shroud" ???

Just asking so don't freak out!

Not sure of the legality 922r and all that, but the "shroud" on my .223 is 18mm

If legal, would there be enough "meat" left after reaming out a 14 to 24 adapter so that it could be attached to the "shroud" ???

Not sure what legalites you're talking about.

The adapter needs to be US made as does the actual muzzle device, if you are using it for 922r compliance.

Edited by nalioth
I'm wondering because you would be attaching the adapter to the sleeve attached to the FSB, not the rifle barrel.
.... but the sleeve (that used to be the barrel shroud) is part of the rifle barrel/front sight block and the muzzle adapter and brake are not.
So if that is the case, we should then be able to just get the FSB/flash hider straight from Russia ??? IIRC part number 53 or 55 on page 32 of the Saiga manual

Sorry, I'm confused on this one...

The Saigas that are shipped with full military aspect use the military style removable muzzle brake. You can add a threaded AK74 type front sight block, or you can dremel the shroud and thread the barrel 14x1lh, but anything you attach must cause the rifle to stay compliant

Now I'm really confused as to what to do. The removal of that front sleeve from the FSB seems like an easy alternative to pressing it off, cutting it, and pressing it back on. Here's the deal, I don't have a Saiga FSB on my gun. I had switched it a while back to a Bulgarian one so that I could have the cleaning rod loop. I'm also aware that the Saiga barrel sticks out further than a normal AK because mine is already sticking out past the FSB a little. My FSB looks like it has provisions for the indexing pin and after cutting off the excess from the FSB threading the barrel wouldn't be much trouble at all. The problem that I run in to at that point is the whole threaded barrel in New Jersey thing. I'm not really fond of set screw installations but that may be the only real option at this point. I could use a regular muzzle brake and silver solder the thing on as well as thread it on but I'm wondering what to do about the extra length of the barrel. It's not a whole lot, about 1/8" that sticks out too far. I guess I could always use a recrowning tool to cut off that 1/8" at the end.

Edited by taurussvt
Check out Dinzag's muzzle brake, it's a slip on that goes on with minimal effort.

It says that it slips over the FSB shroud. I guess that would mean no cutting involved to install? BTW, I would have just looked at the installation instructions but it's a dead link.

Edited by taurussvt
Now I'm really confused as to what to do. The removal of that front sleeve from the FSB seems like an easy alternative to pressing it off, cutting it, and pressing it back on. Here's the deal, I don't have a Saiga FSB on my gun. I had switched it a while back to a Bulgarian one so that I could have the cleaning rod loop. I'm also aware that the Saiga barrel sticks out further than a normal AK because mine is already sticking out past the FSB a little. My FSB looks like it has provisions for the indexing pin and after cutting off the excess from the FSB threading the barrel wouldn't be much trouble at all. The problem that I run in to at that point is the whole threaded barrel in New Jersey thing. I'm not really fond of set screw installations but that may be the only real option at this point. I could use a regular muzzle brake and silver solder the thing on as well as thread it on but I'm wondering what to do about the extra length of the barrel. It's not a whole lot, about 1/8" that sticks out too far. I guess I could always use a recrowning tool to cut off that 1/8" at the end.

Check out Dinzag's muzzle brake, it's a slip on that goes on with minimal effort.

It says that it slips over the FSB shroud. I guess that would mean no cutting involved to install? BTW, I would have just looked at the installation instructions but it's a dead link.

Pictures would help, cuz I'm confused now.

Same here man. I was typing a post screwed up ans lost it trying to post a pic for you.

If you have already replaced the FSB with a Bulgarian one you shouldn't have a sleeve to worry about.

Here's a pic of the Bulgarian FSB I put on my S-.410 and the US made '74 brake I had rethreaded to fit my .410 threads (thanks Tony!)

It locks into the detent pin like it's supposed to.

post-1293-1198173914_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cobra 76 two

Well, I can't seem to find the post that had all of Dinzag's x39 and 223 parts for sale. But the instructions for the 410 are pretty much exactly the same as for the x39 and 223. And yes, I believe it goes over the shroud.

Edited by Neurosis

Aahhhh I see, one of those critters...I thought about gtting one of them because they are so cheap..er...inexpensive. Then I found out that wasn't a bayo lug and you can't really thread them, or at least that's what I think dinzag told me...

Yeah just take out the pins and knock it back off of there. Then you can cut that front part off easy without worrying about dremeling into your barrel. Then you can weld or silver solder the brake right to the FSB and still be able to take it off if you get away from Jersey some day.

Well, I can't seem to find the post that had all of Dinzag's x39 and 223 parts for sale. But the instructions for the 410 are pretty much exactly the same as for the x39 and 223. And yes, I believe it goes over the shroud.

I think I know the reason dinzag's links are not working any more...

well maybe not..it worked for me...

Edited by Cobra 76 two

I think I know the reason dinzag's links are not working any more...

well maybe not..it worked for me...

He must be talking about the installation PDF file that's on the linked site. That's what isn't working.

Edited by 22_Shooter

Well if I end up going with the slip on one that Dinzag sells I can just skip cutting anything off the barrel. I'll Drill holes in the sleeve nice and deep, almost to the barrel and use lock tite on the set screws. That should hold it on.

Well if I end up going with the slip on one that Dinzag sells I can just skip cutting anything off the barrel. I'll Drill holes in the sleeve nice and deep, almost to the barrel and use lock tite on the set screws. That should hold it on.

Ummm that won't work either unless you put the original FSB back on.