I use Model 1 Sales. Be careful that you order a bolt. The prices shown on their uppers do not include the bolt. I have never had a back order with them.

I would like some advice I plan to buy an upper for my project lower, I plan to spend another 500 on the project.

What can you suggest for a source of supply and features

Edited by oldandslow

i also use model 1 sales i have always had a nice rifle i just buy their parts kit comes w/ everything headspaced ready to go just put the lower together pin it and shoot also theres M&AI my old man used them basically same thing as model 1 also with my DPMS lowers that i have used the model 1 matches right up theres no color differance

I am in the same boat as you are man, and I found CMMG and plan on ordering my upper from them in January. What sold me was the option to have the VLTOR MUR :wub: as the upper, since I don't have the tools or know-how to install my own barrel.

Other sites are PK Firearms and Bravo Company, both of which I have ordered from, and have good reputations on ar15.com.

Hope that helps,

Acer

I am in the same boat as you are man, and I found CMMG and plan on ordering my upper from them in January. What sold me was the option to have the VLTOR MUR :wub: as the upper, since I don't have the tools or know-how to install my own barrel.

Other sites are PK Firearms and Bravo Company, both of which I have ordered from, and have good reputations on ar15.com.

Hope that helps,

Acer

All good suggestions. CMMG also has bargain rifles which you can get for 500 bucks complete. They are usually pretty nice rifles for the money. You can get a good stainless barrel for 200-300 bucks from CMMG if you want to build your own. They have a lot of options, and good prices.

Model 1 sales is considered pretty low-end.

I would like some advice I plan to buy an upper for my project lower, I plan to spend another 500 on the project.

What can you suggest for a source of supply and features

One of the best uppers, and lowers, out there is the LMT Monolithic Rail Platform. The only downside is it's a little above your budget. The last time we talked to them, they were getting ready to take orders for a gas piston conversion for the MRP.

The other upper I like is the Vltor stuff. I like their VIS monolithic upper. It's like the LMT, but it doesn't use a proprietary barrel. The Vltor MUR is well within your budget and is a really nice upper. I'm going to get one of the MURs for my 300 Whisper project.

I also like the Noveske uppers and lowers.

I've bought ar stuff from Rainier Arms. John really knows his stuff and is great to do business with. His shop rating on ar15.com is through the roof. When I had questions before placing an order, he usually replied within hours. And, he always shipped the same day.

Vltor

Rainier Arms

LMT

CMMG should be releasing a large lot of stainless bull barrel mid length versions about now, If your interested,CALL, as the one weakness is updating the web site. Quality and customer service is probably easily in the top three of ANY company I've ever done business with and that's no shit.

Just keep watching the AR15 boards and you'll see some pretty good deals come thru ... part by part if you don't mind assembling it yourself.

For gun games, I'd say a flat top with a 18 inch rifle with rifle length gas system, add an effective brake (Wakal has designed a good one, JP is a standard, and there are others). You've got to free float the tube. Handguards are your choice, rails help but aren't required. For me, I found heat to be a real problem, but some have told me rail covers help. I went with carbon fiber ... but even so it gets plenty hot in the burner stages, but not so hot you can't hold it the way my aluminum free float tube did!!!

Front and rear irons (BUIS) are your choice, but I vote no. Try to find a Simmons prodiamond turkey scope for glass, it's best option for little money (IMO). I can bring one to next match if you'd like to check it out. They are discontinued, so look for a nice used one. They are 1.5-5x. Pricing should be <$100.

I don't think the lightweight bolt or adjustable block are worth the money given your budget.

Here's what I'm thinking typical used parts prices could be ... part by part:

Upper: ~125 (stag is good value for the money)

BBL:~100 to 300 ... Yup, a real range in prices here. I'd get one with threading, or that already has a muzzle attachment. I don't think HBAR is necessary, choose what weight swings well for you. 1 in 7 to 1 in 8 twist will give you bullet weight options, but 1 in 9 isn't out of the question and handles 55gn pills pretty well!

Bolt/BC: ~$100

Carbon Fiber Tube:~100 OR, look for a YHM free float rail

Charging handle + Tac handle ~$50

Low profile gas block ~50 (get one with a rail if you are going to add a BUIS).

Muzzle brake ~50-100

Glass:

one piece armalite mount ~70

Simmons proDiamond~90

You might make $500 without glass, but you'll need to shop hard.

You can do some is steps (replace a flash hider with a brake later, replace std handguards with free floaters, etc) but some things you really want to get right first. Especially the bbl .. get a length, wieght and threaded, it doesn't make financial sense to have a smith do it later. And the reciever, get a flat top to start, you are going there anyways :) Even sights, put on Start with irons, then sell them for a glass set up later

Call me sometime if you like.

Edited by kmoore

Get the LMT Monolithic Rail Platform. You get twenty feet of rails to hang stuff off of. To quote LMT "The MRP completely replaces the upper receiver and provides an unprecedented level of versatility to the

operator. " Only a dozen+three hundred dollars. Quick change barrel!

Get the LMT Monolithic Rail Platform. You get twenty feet of rails to hang stuff off of. To quote LMT "The MRP completely replaces the upper receiver and provides an unprecedented level of versatility to the

Thats way above his budget. For that money I'd recommend A KAC SR15 with a URX. That would be the tits.

Thats way above his budget. For that money I'd recommend A KAC SR15 with a URX. That would be the tits.

The SR-15 blows monkey balls, in my opinion. Many companies make better 5.56 ARs. I agree that the LMT MRP is out of the OP's price range, but he could always hold off picking it up asap and save up, or allocate more money to the upper.

If you're going to buy a Knight's gun, it should be a SR-25 variant. The SR-15 is in such low demand that Knight's still fills public dealer orders for them.

Edit: There's nothing wrong with the SR-15, it's a nice gun. But, there's nothing special about it. I've seen posters on ar15.com who'd buy it just because it says Knight's Armament on it, but they're 'tards.

Edited by ck43001

Hope that helps,

Acer

All good suggestions. CMMG also has bargain rifles which you can get for 500 bucks complete. They are usually pretty nice rifles for the money. You can get a good stainless barrel for 200-300 bucks from CMMG if you want to build your own. They have a lot of options, and good prices.

sooo what about the model 1 makes it low end do you have first hand experience i just know mine worked great i do like my DPMS better but im curious what you define as low end is it because it doesnt cost a fortune

i guess it doesnt matter im not going to get into a pissing match about ar15s like all thoes gun snobs at the other forums the model 1 worked great for me so does the dpms i will leave it at that. as for the dilema at hand topmaul i would suggest just going for it on whatever you think is right because there are obviously very different ideas about what is quality

Hope that helps,

Acer

sooo what about the model 1 makes it low end do you have first hand experience i just know mine worked great i do like my DPMS better but im curious what you define as low end is it because it doesnt cost a fortune

I have zero experience with Model 1 sales, but that doesn't change the fact that they are considered low end. Low end doesn't equate to crap, it means what it says. On the other hand, I know people with Hesse ARs who have no problems, but the fact is that Hesse made CRAP!

I know guys that use "Model 1" and they have no complaints. I prefer CMMG or DEL-TON. They have a variety of quality parts. DEL-TON offers rifle kits that you can customize to your specs. You can also choose from several different manufacturers (DPMS,Olympic,Wilson ect...). Wilson is their low end upper option which is not bad, Rock River uses Wilson uppers on their rifles and I have only heard good comments about RRA rifles. If you can find a local dealer that will sell you a striped lower at a good price start there. Once you get the lower receiver, look into a kit. Most kits are the complete rifle except for the lower receiver. You will save money and time by getting the package deal. If you can, get a good brand name lower and build your kit from it. I built my first M-4 on a Colt receiver. I sold it to a friend and told him it was a kit gun. All he saw was Colt on the receiver and gave me $1000.00 for it. He named the price, I was only looking to get $800.00 since I only had $700 in it. I was getting the DPMS receivers for about $100 but I think those days are over. Good luck. If you have any problems or questions PM me. I am a certified Colt M16 AR15 armorer.

Not trying to look like a know it all by that last sentence. I do have the Colt manual withh all the factory instructions, specs, and trouble shooting section and would be glad to pass on any information that might help.

Edited by madmilo
  • 3 weeks later...