Just wanted to say hi to all. I'm a new member here, 27 male from Long Island NY, signed up a few days ago. Purchased my "first" factory s-12 this past sat for $485.00. Became a member to learn all about my new gun, I do have a few others B) . I plan on doing the conversion next week and would like to let you all know, there was enough info on here from you guys, if you know how to look for it, that I feel I can get right into the coversion without asking any questions, since they seem to have all been answered so far. Great web site!

Welcome fellow NY'er! You might want to read up on converting an S12 in NY. I don't think you can put a PG on it legally. That, and no mags over 5 rounds, IIRC.

As far as I knew, if I followed the parts count law, kept the barrel over 18", didn't make it a auto fire, or get a folding or collapsible stock... I would be fine. But now that you say this, I started thinking about it and I dont remember ever seeing anyone at the gun range with a semi auto shotgun with pistol grip.

If I have the following right---> I heard when the ban was lifted, NY NEVER went back to PRE ban laws. So when the ban was on, was anyone aloud to have a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip?

I guess I will have to research this some more, In the mean time if anyone is sure of NY law are where I can find some info, please let me know.

On the plus side I'm moving by the end of next year off NY and into the country, probably to PA.

I just moved out of NY state, after residing there my entire life. I did a bit of research on this subject.

The law can be read both ways on this shotgun. Which means....well...I wouldnt do it, because just as much as you can convert to PG on this gun, they acn arrest you for it. And who do you think will win in court? :) not you, I can tell you that much, not with how those facists there work.

Okay......... In that case, Hi new member here just bought a S 12 that I plan on doing NOTHING to for around a year or two in till I leave this shit hole state I call New York. This sat I'll be shooting it for the first time, thank god I like how it shoulders in factory form, since I'll be using it like that for awhile it seems. Thanks for the info Bvamp.

Ive seen arguements that go the way of its ok to do the conversion, but after asking several pro-gun attourneys, police armorers, atf, game wardens, etc etc, all were uninanimous in the opinion I stated above.

the rifles are another story.

Ive seen arguements that go the way of its ok to do the conversion, but after asking several pro-gun attourneys, police armorers, atf, game wardens, etc etc, all were uninanimous in the opinion I stated above.

the rifles are another story.

How is there even an argument? It already has a detachable mag, then doing the conversion by adding a PG puts it into the "assault weapon" category, no?

Relevant to NY saiga shotgun owners:

(B) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following

characteristics:

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of

the weapon;

(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds;

(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine;

GearHeadFTW: I stuck a s308 wooden rifle butt on my s12, and with the cheek piece on it, and the little more weight ,and recoil pad, I dont think I will be converting my s12 any time soon, even though I have moved out of NY for good, it looks like. I may actually seek to pick up a few more russian firearms in the same type of configuration for that very reason. Its familiar, I can shoulder the thing so fast, and accurate, its unreal, and there is less shit to get caught up on in brush while in the woods looking for tastey animals.....

in regards to a saiga12 specifically, I would really need to try some that have been put back to military configuration, and try the added mag cap to really see if I actually prefer the gun that way, but I highly doubt I will. If I owned ten s12's, Id have one or two in military configuration, and the rest in the sporting configuration, just because that is what I am most familiar with, and what I prefer overall. I did not have any problems harvesting food in heavy cover with mine how it is set up, or with multiple kills with a single 5 round mag. I also (was) regularly outshooting seasoned clay shooters back home with it, and had more than a few of them after shooting my s12 a bit, prefer it over thier gun for wing shooting. If you are used to shooting in a military PG configuration, I would go that way, but how it is imported? its hard to beat, if you ask me.