Is there anybody in this Saiga field that's doing custom wood work on hand guards and stocks? The reason I ask is because I was at my friends house today. He does custom wood work involving anything wood, tables, kitchens, entertainment systems etc. As I showed him the gun he knew it was based off of a ak plate form and said "I loved the wood look on those guns". I told him yea I could replace this plastic stuff with wood, but it would be a regular replacement wood part. When I asked him if he could make a one off stock and hand guard out of a block of wood, he said.... "I don't see why not, by the way I have left over zebra wood from a job that would look insane with the grain and texture". Now I don't know what the hell zebra wood is but it sounded like something I needed on my gun.

So my ? to you guys, is this a service that you guys think people would be interested in. Being able to say I want this design but with this wood type ect.. Because I was trying to talk him into it. I got him to commit to doing mine, since if any of you have read in my other post I found out I cant do my conversion, since I live in NY. So i figure if I'm stuck with having a stock, I might as well have a hand guard and stock that will blow my mind and others away. I think it also goes without saying that I'm going to field test the shit out of it for durability and throw many pics up here of the finished project, so you can all see what he can do.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

one name.....

"BattleRifleG3"...........makes great stuff!!!!

It would great to have another make of quality wood furniture, options are good to have, that said, BRG3 is the man for wood furniture so far. I've done business with him and am comfortable saying he's great to work with.

by no means am a suggesting your friend not try to get into this. Skilled woodworking is in demand with this crowd.

later!

BRG3 here and lsmurphy over at the AK files do some nice stuff, also Ironwood designs does production work on AK wood parts (U.S. made OEM copy items). It's kind of a niche market where people have to be willing to pay, or wait for one off items.

IMG_1081.jpg

here is his stuff on my .223 (unfinished in this shot....i gotta take some pics of the final product!) - and yes that gun is 922r compliant....Tapco innerds....

BRG3 here and lsmurphy over at the AK files do some nice stuff, also Ironwood designs does production work on AK wood parts (U.S. made OEM copy items). It's kind of a niche market where people have to be willing to pay, or wait for one off items.

IMG_1081.jpg

here is his stuff on my .223 (unfinished in this shot....i gotta take some pics of the final product!) - and yes that gun is 922r compliant....Tapco innerds....

Nice rifle RangerM9, would like to see it after finishing.

Thanks for all the info, have been reading all the post you guys mentioned. I most say he does do some great looking work. I have to email my friend these post so he has an idea of the buisness aspect of it. I know he is busy with and happy doing his other wood working jobs. So this will probally be more of a side job thing if he decides to make more. I'm just happy in the fact he will make something custom for me! To me it looks like BattleRifleG3 does a somewhat tradtional form and function look. So i'm going to have to see how wild of a design my freind can do, being your working with wood, which I'm sure has its limits of how wild you can go.

What can I say, I want something nobody has, to heal my broken heart of not being able to do the conversion (to hell with NY!)

Thanks for all the info, have been reading all the post you guys mentioned. I most say he does do some great looking work. I have to email my friend these post so he has an idea of the buisness aspect of it. I know he is busy with and happy doing his other wood working jobs. So this will probally be more of a side job thing if he decides to make more. I'm just happy in the fact he will make something custom for me! To me it looks like BattleRifleG3 does a somewhat tradtional form and function look. So i'm going to have to see how wild of a design my freind can do, being your working with wood, which I'm sure has its limits of how wild you can go.

What can I say, I want something nobody has, to heal my broken heart of not being able to do the conversion (to hell with NY!)

I hear ya...i love unique things.....

most unusual thing i have heard of BRG3 making is a 1 piece stock/forearm grip for an AK......not seen it, but i recall him mentioning he was working on one.

If I had to sum up what makes my work most distinctive, I'd say it's using a variety of solid hardwoods with a family of patterns that can be applied in a wide variety of configurations to fit different guns in the same family.

You could get A handguard with B buttstock and C grip, with D and E options all made in matching F hardwood for G gun. A few variations that allow for lots of customization. And then there are customers who have new ideas too. Some of the orders I get I just think "Ok, if that's what he really wants..." and by the time it's done I can understand why someone wants it that way.

My biggest limitation is the number of hours in a day and number of days in a year.

If you're looking for a Saiga related category I'm not really aiming for, it's p-grip and t-hole stocks for unconverted Saigas. I can do them, I just prefer not to.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

Just for the record, not seeing your work FIRST BattleRifleG3, is the only reason I asked if my friend could get a corner of the market. I don't doubt your work at all after seeing it, and I agree you seem to really want to work with the customer on what they are looking for and want. This sat after shooting my new gun for the first time, I plan on bringing it over to his house with the parts removed to get his opinion on doing the job.

One thing I was thinking is if it turns out to hard to think of are make a one off design, with the limitations of wood. I might just get one of you hand guards and stock (which I know will fit perfect the first time). I'll bring it down to my tattoo artist and have her draw with a pencil skull bones and spider webs everywhere and run home and carve it out with my dremel tool. It will look like its coming out of the wood everywhere. That way I still have something very functional (like your work) but crazy looking, instead of something crazy looking but you don't like shooting because of the too extreme of a design, like me and my Friend are thinking. The carving and engraving is something I have been doing for a while and enjoy. So I think I will have to think of a good balance to approach this job.

Edited by GearHeadFTW