SAW stock on a Saiga

You know I thought I wanted a saw stock on a conversion but after seeing that I've changed my mind.

If it works for you though by all means pursue it. An adapter would have to be custom fabricated I think because the saw stock slid into its holder. I can't remember off hand what the retention system was that held it in place.

If they feel anything like they do on an FAL, it'll beat the hell out of your cheek when you fire it.

I have never had that problem on a FAL with the Tapco SAW stock. I believe that it is, due to its sturdiness and the size of the buttplate one of the most comfortable of stocks for the FAL. Now I have seen many complain of that problem with the DSA X-Stock, but not the SAW. YMMV

EustaceLufgren : As to its use on a Saiga-12. The hook on the butt is for prone use with a rifle, it seems silly on a shotgun. But it is your shotgun, make it look however you like.

The hook on the butt is for prone use with a rifle...

I have to admit I don't understand the usefulness of the hook design.

From FM 23-14 (the M249 operators manual)

5-6. FUNDAMENTALS, FIRING POSITIONS

The bipod-supported prone position and the bipod-supported fighting position are covered in preliminary marksmanship training.

a. Prone Position, Bipod-Supported.

(1) Assume a prone position to the rear of the weapon and place the shoulder rest on your firing shoulder. An imaginary line drawn through the weapon should bisect the firing shoulder and buttock and continue through the heel of your foot.

(2) Spread your legs a comfortable distance apart with heels as close to the ground as possible and yet still be comfortable.

(3) Grasp the pistol grip with your firing hand with the fleshy end of the index finger resting lightly on the trigger. Place your nonfiring hand on the small of the stock with your thumb curled underneath. Slide your nonfiring hand forward until your little finger touches the receiver, so your aiming point will always be the same.

Some countries teach the soldier to position their off hands under the stock.

Here is a Belgian made Minimi (you can see where Crapco got the idea):

f70e9593.jpg

Here is a Belgian made Minimi

it's not.

it's an M249 SAW. a Minimi has different furniture (and doesn't have a heatshield etc etc).

.... then I guess you should call up FNH USA and tell them they're mislabelling their sales materials.

You flip that little wire thing up and it goes on top of your shoulder. The non-firing hand grips the rear end of the stock palm down and the thumb hooked underneath the tapered area to keep downward pressure on the stock. If the stock is beating your cheek you haven't got a solid weld with it but it's still a .223 so the recoil is....er, painless. You may be thinking of an M240G.

The minimi is the saw and at one point both were identical, especially when they were first fielded to the U.S. Now, there are several variants on both sides, with the para-saw being the most vogue in combat-chic these days. It is a handy little thing and pretty good at suppressive fire...just stay away from the 100rd drums.

Originally, I had wanted to put a saw stock and a bipod on a 308 conversion but after seeing that I think it would be too damn clumsy.