I would imagine that most of us have a home defense plan. Not to be paranoid or anything, but having a fire evacuation and home invasion plan is just common sense now days, at least in my book. Now, I think a home invasion is pretty unlikely. But, being a Type A personality, its my job to worry/plan.

I came up with the plan for our current house, as we moved last year. I called a family meeting and we went over it. I am comfortable with the plan and I was pleased that the kids seemed to listen without getting freaked out. However, I have a major worry about defending my family in this house and I'd appreciate your thoughts.

The house has two stairways to the upstairs. All bedrooms are upstairs. Anyone trying to get to the master bedroom has to pass one kid's room. So, someone entering the house can get to that room without going by my room. Worse, although I've told them how I want them to handle any such crisis, what if the kid comes out of the room while the bad guy and I are in the hallway? Probably no good solution for that one.

I've read some posts on other forums about this topic and they all say to gather in one room. While I agree this is a good idea, one of the kids would have to pass by one of the stairways. Maybe the other solution is for us to rush to her room and gather there. We could make a stand there or get out her window, but that assumes there is time to wake up and gather the other kid and get there. Of course, if the bad guys stay downstairs, fine. So long as they don't come up stairs, that can have whatever they want down there, that's what issuance is for. But, venture up to the living area and all bets are off.

Thoughts on a defending two stairways when the spouse would never grab the other shotgun to help?

First line of defense-Big, Loud, Faithful DOG. I think most would just turn around and go elsewhere unless you have someone that's really pissed at you for personal reasons and showed up to clean house. If you don't have a large home, reaction time is going to be minimal once they're inside.

Yep, if the spouse can't/won't help get a dog. Best early warning system you can get. Will work for food in most cases. If raising a puppy doesn't fit into your schedule right now there are plenty of fully grown, housebroken dogs waiting in shelters and rescues.

Aside from that, I'd need a floorplan to figure out how to defend an area. If the odds of exposure are that great for you then investing in body armor might not be a bad idea. The rule of thumb is to find a position where you can cover both avenues of approach. Ideally it would offer cover as well as concealment because you don't want to rely on drywall to stop anything. Corners are considered the dominant positions in rooms. Tailor accordingly to your situation.

Also, make sure your cell phone goes upstairs with you and you know how to use 911 on it (this ain't as easy at sounds folks). Basically, dial 911 and tell them exactly which police department/municipality you need and have them connect you to THEIR 911 system right away.

Hope that helps.

P.S.

Dang, looks like someone beat me to the dog idea.

I guess the Bassett Hound doesn't count much as a watch dog. She will, however, pee when scared, so that my have some chemical weapon value.

The house has a back stairway that gives access to a t.v./bonus room. That room exist into a hallway, which leads past the laundry room, past the guest room and my oldest child's room. Her door opens into that hallway, but an immediate hard left leads down the other stairs, which leads to the entry room and very close to the front door. If you don't take the hard left and go down the stairs, the hallway leads to the master bedroom and next to that is the door to my little one's room. I like the house but this is an odd situation. Someone could get up the front stairs and into that first room without me even seeing them. As least I would likely hear them.

Of course, my fear would be that the oldest one would exit her room, into the hallway, at the wrong time. I've covered this with her and we have a code word for danger which if she heard me yell it, I think she would stay put. Still that is my concern. Again, nothing is ever likely to happen. But, in my job you only make half the people happy and the other half, well, who knows.

WJ

Have you given any thought to a full blown security system? We had one installed almost 3 years ago, the company was here on Friday installing a new digital cellular back up to replace the analog one. The system will use it to "phone home" if the land line is cut. They also installed some things in and on my gun safe. Our system also has "glass break" sensors, because in "stay" mode, it will disable the interior motion detectors so we can move around without setting them off at night. The system may also get you a break on insurance rates, ours did by 20%, it's also wired to smoke detectors for fire warning. And outdoor motion activated cameras are also available as well as a dvr. The possibilities are endless.

Have you given any thought to a full blown security system? We had one installed almost 3 years ago, the company was here on Friday installing a new digital cellular back up to replace the analog one. The system will use it to "phone home" if the land line is cut. They also installed some things in and on my gun safe. Our system also has "glass break" sensors, because in "stay" mode, it will disable the interior motion detectors so we can move around without setting them off at night. The system may also get you a break on insurance rates, ours did by 20%, it's also wired to smoke detectors for fire warning. And outdoor motion activated cameras are also available as well as a dvr. The possibilities are endless.

Just got one from Brinks. Not quite as advanced as yours, but it will either scare someone off, or give me a heads up. I really think you have a much greater chance of getting mugged or robbed, than a home invasion. Still, one can never be too well prepared.

WJ

Our plan is for my wife to go gather the children from their rooms and take cover in one of them, and call 911. My job is to cover the top of the steps, this puts me between any zombies and my family.

Now, to get to the point. I have considered getting a security door put on the "gathering" room. It would be sort of an improvised safe room. (I also already have a rope ladder in that room's closet that can be deployed out the window) You could conceivably have a security door with reinforced hinges, lock, and bullet proofed. I don't know how old that child is in that room, but if you use your code word and she secures the door she would be safe from zombies and any fire exchange between you and said zombie.

I have frag rounds for my S-12 that disperse upon impact with a hard surface to minimize any over penetration issues. Of course, the G35 is in the bedside safe, so if I don't have enough time to get to the S-12 that will have to do. Which is why I've thought about the security door, not to mention that if the zombies get past me the time it takes them to crawl over my dead body and get through the security door the cops might arrive.

Just my .02

I've been using the combination of a security system and surveillance cameras for the last few years and it has worked out great.

The security system cost about $300 (with $20/month monitoring) and the surveillance system cost about $900 including the computer interface and hardware. The surveillance system has been a great asset since it records any movement and stores it on the computer as well as notifies me via email when motion is detected. When our neighbor's house was burglarized recently, the police used our video to prosecute (burglars pulled into our driveway, saw the cameras, and headed next door).

I still keep my weapons close and make sure the systems are tested on a regular basis. ;)

One thing to check on your system is the delay, when armed in "stay" mode. What I'm referring to is the time from when a sensor trips, to the time the alarm/siren goes off. Ours was set at 60 seconds, but I felt that was too long, because after I FINALLY do get to sleep, I sleep like a log for 4-5 hours, and I have actually went outside at night, popped off a full 30 rounds from the AR, and my wife never woke up. The siren is mounted above our bedroom door, and when it goes off, it'll wake the dead, so I cut the delay down to 30 seconds. If someone bust in the back door glass, it's instant, if they push open the door, I don't think that they'll be able to get thru a dark house, back to our room in 30 seconds, atleast not the way the wife has the furniture arranged, :), crap, I have tripped over stuff at night when getting a glass of milk. My mother used to "re-arrange" the furniture when me and my brothers where young, her and daddy always "caught" us sneaking in late. But in "away" mode, everything is instant.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=358057

Instead of using them for there intended purpose (out door use, i guess). You can buy the base and a sensor then order three extra sensors like I did. Put them in key places, so that when someone trips one of them they have no idea whats coming next. Maybe in your case one on each stair, then the other two in areas that you know a bad guy would pass by. If your good with wiring you can go to home depot and get a door bell relay and one of those old school loud door bells that sound like an alarm and hook it all up. The base alarm volume is loud but I want to be sure I wake up. Before I go to bed I turn it on and when I wake up I turn it off. Plus a German Shepard helps in my case too.

Our plan is for my wife to go gather the children from their rooms and take cover in one of them, and call 911. My job is to cover the top of the steps, this puts me between any zombies and my family.

Now, to get to the point. I have considered getting a security door put on the "gathering" room. It would be sort of an improvised safe room. (I also already have a rope ladder in that room's closet that can be deployed out the window) You could conceivably have a security door with reinforced hinges, lock, and bullet proofed. I don't know how old that child is in that room, but if you use your code word and she secures the door she would be safe from zombies and any fire exchange between you and said zombie.

I have frag rounds for my S-12 that disperse upon impact with a hard surface to minimize any over penetration issues. Of course, the G35 is in the bedside safe, so if I don't have enough time to get to the S-12 that will have to do. Which is why I've thought about the security door, not to mention that if the zombies get past me the time it takes them to crawl over my dead body and get through the security door the cops might arrive.

Just my .02

THe door sounds like a good idea BUT don't forget the walls! Dry wall only slightly slows down bullets and can be kicked out. And have you shot the frag rounds in your S-12 to make sure that they function? What kind, how much, and where at?

The house has two stairways to the upstairs. All bedrooms are upstairs.

I've seen houses that people take a regular, solid exterior door usually used for main entrances to a house (with lock and all), and put them at the top of the stairs inside. Which would work good for you, seeing as how all the bedrooms are upstairs. Not full-proof, but hey, it should buy you the time you need to gather in whichever room you plan on, and get things situated (call police, lock & load, escape out a window etc.).

Several great ideas! Thank you.

Reinforcing the door to my oldest daughter's room would pretty much resolve my fear there. I just need to avoid someone getting in that room before I can act. A tougher door would probably give me more than enough time to act.

A sensor at the bottom of the back stairway and a tough locked door at the top would give me all the time I need to gather the family and act. I'm not really worried about the front stairs because the treads on those steps are wood and so close to my bedroom that I can hear anyone coming up them.

I really like the idea of a sensor on the back stairway. It would give me a heads up as to which path they are taking.

Thanks!

WJ

I've been using the combination of a security system and surveillance cameras for the last few years and it has worked out great.

The security system cost about $300 (with $20/month monitoring) and the surveillance system cost about $900 including the computer interface and hardware. The surveillance system has been a great asset since it records any movement and stores it on the computer as well as notifies me via email when motion is detected. When our neighbor's house was burglarized recently, the police used our video to prosecute (burglars pulled into our driveway, saw the cameras, and headed next door).

I still keep my weapons close and make sure the systems are tested on a regular basis. ;)

Great prior planning. I would imagine that after your neighbors got over the shock and anger of the burglary they probably bought a system just like yours.

I really like the idea of a sensor on the back stairway. It would give me a heads up as to which path they are taking.

Thanks!

WJ

If you like the sensor idea, but only want to use it on the stairs, I have a better idea for you.

(If you have carpeted stairs)

On the first or first and second step you would use two pieces of thin metal (Length of the stairs and around 3" wide), that when stepped on completes a circuit.

Like so....

_/ ____________________ \_

The top piece of metal hoverer's off the bottom one just slightly, Even with a carpet over it. You set the tension buy the slight bend you put on both end's of the top piece before you screw down. Next get a roll of two wire cable hook one up one wire to the top plate, the other to the bottom plate. Then run the wires hidden to your room. Next buy something that buzzes or shakes are lights up, modify it to stay on constant, but then cut the wire that goes directly to the buzzer, light etc. on the unit and splice in the two wires. Now when however steps on the stairs, they complete the circuit but don't know what they just did.

If you have wooden stairs it will be harder but you can lightly float the end of the step and still make it work, but its a lot more work.

Tried editing the diagram better

Edited by GearHeadFTW

This is slightly off subject, but my brothers security system also includes fire protection and a flashing blue strobe mounted at the top side of the house to make it easy to identify for police, fire, ambulance. He also has a special light bulb on the front porch that has a blink mode if you toggle the switch that's a cheap option for those without security systems-also makes it easy for the pizza guy (:

reading threads like this makes me damn happy i live in a house with 15cm thick brick innerwalls :haha:

just remember that there might be more than one and that they might not be taking the same way up... :ph34r:

still, loudly racking the bolt of your S12 should be enough to make most sensible criminals run for the hills :smoke:

Just my .02

THe door sounds like a good idea BUT don't forget the walls! Dry wall only slightly slows down bullets and can be kicked out. And have you shot the frag rounds in your S-12 to make sure that they function? What kind, how much, and where at?

I made them with #8 bird shot. The ones for sale I've seen are for law enforcement only. I opened up the shells and poured out the shot, mixed it with melted candle wax and poured it into a piece of pipe I cut off. when it cooled, I reloaded into the shell and recrimped. They fire like a slug. They cycle fine, but I haven't done extensive testing with them yet.

Gaddis,

I once peed off the Sunshine Skyway, not only was the water really cold in December, but it was DEEP TOO.:):):):):):):)

BTW, ya do know that the cables that hold up the Skyway bridge were designed by someone from Florida who broke into my house late one night once, right? ;)

FYI :up:

Since I live in an appt and only have my kids part time it kind of limits what I have available for "home defense". I thought about using claymores at the front door but the over penetration value with those is just to much.

It pretty much boiled down to light pheasant loads in the s12 and when my children are with me, I sleep in the living room next to the only entry point of the appt. In the event of a fire in the building the sprinkler system in the appt will wake you immediately. If the front door is not redily available for exit, tie sheet around the kids, kick out screen and lower kids to ground floor and then dad climbs out (2nd floor appt but its lower than a 2nd floor of a home, maybe '9).

A little trick my kids showed me (without them actually knowing it) was to leave a couple pairs of shoes right up next to the door on the lenolium. If the door is opened (by any means other than brute force), the rubber of the shoes acts like glue on the lenolium and makes it nearly impossible to open more than an inch or two.

Maybe the other solution is for us to rush to her room and gather there.

The word rush does not belong in home defense planning. Simply put, there is no award for the fastest time, just for winning.

Kids should stay put so you have a good chance of knowing where they are while you move. Each kid is different and of course age is a factor. A cell phone and a baseball bat are a great start. The bat is mostly for psychological, but has some use. I think the bat made it easy for my daughter to move on to guns. She already had an "I'm gonna fight" mentality going. Dog is best 1st line, then an alarm system. Spouse is a non issue, your plan should work if she is not even there.

My 12 year old has cell phone, bat, mace and a 60lb Lab in her room at night. A .22 rifle under her bed but not for defensive use. I think her first defensive gun will be a .38 revolver or a 9mm Kel tec sub gun. Then she gets G19 with a light. My GF has all three and also loves AR's. She goes to my daughters room with any of the above while I clear the house. We all have cell phones by our side when we go to sleep.

I have lived in a few old houses with two stairways, a door at the bottom of the stairs seems to be best. In my case, I have done some indoor shooting after dark down stairways (training, not in the house) and there is a big difference between approaching a stairway and shooting down it, versus engaging somone on your level at the top of the stairs. Some guys sucked at it, but I seemed to do quite well with it. I think because I hunt in hilly areas most of my life and I am use to shooting on uneven terrain, who knows why? Bright lights, such as surfire are required.

A locked pocket door is a SOB if done right. Any locked door plus a dog will prevent the majority of situations from escalating. Regardless of door type, at the bottom gives you more time, warning and distance to react in.

Walk your house at night on moonless nights and figure out where the furniture is. Move furniture, kid and dog toys until you can move freely from cover to cover. A great trick I like is to place the LCD square shaped blue night lights in key places. They look like small TV's. Over time I have found I only like them at floor level near key corners, and doorways. They act like indoor lighthouses guiding me. When I can see one I know there is nothing between me and that light. When I step out of my bedroom, any route I might take has one I can see ahead of me. Any major corner/wall I may turn has one too. They also backlight anything or anyone who moves in front of them just enough to help you know they are in frotn of you.

In addition to two stairways, it sounds like you have a fair number of twists and turns to navigate? They also put out a a fair amount of light for the cost of pennies per year.

Something I just learned tonight..............I have been in this house 6 months...................if I have to backtrack it is darker than hell! I need to put one by my masterbedroom door.

Edited by Zoub
Maybe the other solution is for us to rush to her room and gather there.

The word rush does not belong in home defense planning. Simply put, there is no award for the fastest time, just for winning.

Kids should stay put so you have a good chance of knowing where they are while you move. Each kid is different and of course age is a factor. A cell phone and a baseball bat are a great start. The bat is mostly for psychological, but has some use. I think the bat made it easy for my daughter to move on to guns. She already had an "I'm gonna fight" mentality going. Dog is best 1st line, then an alarm system. Spouse is a non issue, your plan should work if she is not even there.

My 12 year old has cell phone, bat, mace and a 60lb Lab in her room at night. A .22 rifle under her bed but not for defensive use. I think her first defensive gun will be a .38 revolver or a 9mm Kel tec sub gun. Then she gets G19 with a light. My GF has all three and also loves AR's. She goes to my daughters room with any of the above while I clear the house. We all have cell phones by our side when we go to sleep.

I have lived in a few old houses with two stairways, a door at the bottom of the stairs seems to be best. In my case, I have done some indoor shooting after dark down stairways (training, not in the house) and there is a big difference between approaching a stairway and shooting down it, versus engaging somone on your level at the top of the stairs. Some guys sucked at it, but I seemed to do quite well with it. I think because I hunt in hilly areas most of my life and I am use to shooting on uneven terrain, who knows why? Bright lights, such as surfire are required.

A locked pocket door is a SOB if done right. Any locked door plus a dog will prevent the majority of situations from escalating. Regardless of door type, at the bottom gives you more time, warning and distance to react in.

Walk your house at night on moonless nights and figure out where the furniture is. Move furniture, kid and dog toys until you can move freely from cover to cover. A great trick I like is to place the LCD square shaped blue night lights in key places. They look like small TV's. Over time I have found I only like them at floor level near key corners, and doorways. They act like indoor lighthouses guiding me. When I can see one I know there is nothing between me and that light. When I step out of my bedroom, any route I might take has one I can see ahead of me. Any major corner/wall I may turn has one too. They also backlight anything or anyone who moves in front of them just enough to help you know they are in frotn of you.

In addition to two stairways, it sounds like you have a fair number of twists and turns to navigate? They also put out a a fair amount of light for the cost of pennies per year.

Something I just learned tonight..............I have been in this house 6 months...................if I have to backtrack it is darker than hell! I need to put one by my masterbedroom door.

This may sound odd, but when I started this thread, I had forgot that the back stairs does have a door on it. We never, ever use it. However, I'm going to put a lock on it and keep it closed at night. A very simple and already in place solution that I simply overlooked. I guess sometimes you have to step back and/or have someone's ideas to find a solution that was right before your nose.

WJ

My 6 mo. old Cocker Spaniel barks at my reflection on the glass door, the neighbor kids playing basketball, the wind rustling the blinds, everything that is suspicious to her. She's a vicious 15lb KILLER!

A dog, security system, and Shotgun will pretty much save you from any Home invasion situation.

Backtracking should be dark as hell. It's your house and that is to you'r advantage. A box, a string, and a dozen golf balls set to fall make a great stair stopper. Just a bucket of golfballs to throw down the stairs or down the hall is good too.