Newbie in CA... teach me about Saiga's!

Gents,

I'm somewhat new to the AK platform and have been lurking for a while. I am looking to purchase a number of new long guns. I've been an AR guy for a long time, but I'm looking for a more simple, robust, reliable platform that is available in multiple calibers (.223 / x39 / .308) for continuity of training. The fact that the Saiga platform does this AND is also available in a semi-auto 12 gauge shotgun has grabbed my undivided attention. I don't hunt, so these weapons (12 ga / .223 /x39 / .308) will be used almost exclusively as defensive weapons (home defense, SHTF, etc). I prefer to keep my weapons as stock as possible. I generally only add a sling, combat iron sites, red dot site and tac light.

How would you rate the Saiga 12 ga / .223 / x39 / .308 in terms of reliability, durability, combat accuracy and user-friendlyness?

Finally, I just moved to California. I believe all Saiga's in the following config are legal in CA (standard stock, etc)

Saiga20308201620fs.jpg

I don't NEED a folding stock, but I DO prefer a pistol grip (which I believe is a big no-no in CA). Would the stock in the following pic 1) be legal in CA, and 2) be availabe on all Saiga configs? It seems to offer pistol grip ergonmics within a fixed standard stock:

p_saiga_option.jpg

Thanks for any info and insight!

Edited by TennDECA

Welcome.......

Here you go

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=8856

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=21702

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=65

Or do what I did. Look in every section of this forum first. I was busy lurking around here for a week reading old post before I started posting questions. I suck at using the search tool, but if you take the time looking around you will know a great deal soon.

Thanks for the links. Yeah, I've been scouring this site for a few weeks trying to get as much info as possible. After looking at your links as well as other sources (CalGuns.net, etc) it does seem that any thumbhole or skeletonized stock is a no-no in CA. So... that being said, are the STOCK Saiga's in 12 ga. / .223 / .308 all currently legal in CA?

It also seems that as far as reliability/accuracy, etc, goes, the Saiga's are AK reliable and "combat accurate".

So that answers most of my questions. Now for a few more!

It seems that for UNconverted Saiga's, mags are the weakest link (or should I say lowest capacity and most expensive link!). Does anyone have any experience with the new polymer 25 rounders from SureFire? Specifically for .223 and .308? Good/Bad/Can't tell yet?

Thanks!