Well, I may jump in

Let's see now, I have 2 SAR in 7.62, 2 WASR in .223, my Boomer Saiga 12 Tromix convert and this summer sold my Century FAL Clo(W)ne. I just noticed 16" Saiga .308 for around $300.00. Just sticking my toe in to test the water. ; but I just hate not having a full sized rifle in the safe.

Is everyone happy with the FBMG .308 mags?

Do I have to be in a rush to convert the rifle, or are they ok to shoot, sans pistol grip? I just think I should stock up on mags first.

Your timing would be good in that you can also see how the surefire mags perform and make your choice once your converted to be compliant with 922r.

Come on in, the water's great...

They shoot just fine without the PG conversion, the trigger goes up instead of back though. The 16 inch gun is definately the way to go if you plan on using it unconverted for awhile, as I found the 20 in gun to be bbl heavy until converted.

For "around 300" I wouldn't hesitate. You won't regret it. It's a joy to shoot, and it's really neat to pull the thing out at the range. Up and down the line I get those "oh boy, here we go" looks from the figured-walnut-and-stainless-steel crowd. They think you've got a mere AK chambered in x39. After a few rounds, they start to congregate and want to talk. :smoke:

I love my .308 saiga, it is a fine tool and compliments my cabinet. If i ever needed it for whatever reason, i would absolutely take the saiga from my cabinet over my other rifles for protection of the homestead. I paid a little more for mine but it was still worth it. Im considering converting to the pistol grip.

Its a little expensive to "plink" with, but i keep my .308 and x54R at home and goof around with my 10/22 and 9mm mostly.

Not up to the quality of a m1a, but its a fraction of the price. Nonetheless, i have had zero problems (including jams or misfires and i use surplus ammo) and have ound my saiga to be accurate at 200 yards (the farthest i have attempted to fire it)

I love the Saiga 308 even though it kicks a bit. Great, handly, light carbine with good power to boot. Yes, the FBMG mags work fine, no complaints. I am thinking abotu getting a couple of surefire mags just to compare too. You can never have enough ammo.

You gotta get that rifle. Even if you leave it bone stock (like I did mine) you won't regret it, especially if you're able to own a hi-cap mag. I'm still looking/waiting for the 15 rounders to come out and I really hope they do.

For me the 16" s308 is handy, packs a punch, and stone cold reliable. My sole concern about it is that I don't know if I could brain someone with a buttstroke because the stocks are hollow.