What side folder?

MY opinion...

Ace is what I like on mine. Never cared much for the Romys or East German side folders.

The Ace is the most solid feeling folder you can get IMO. It also has handling surfaces that are comfortable, unlike the underfolders and Russian triangle side folders. You can also use a good 1/2" recoil pad that comes with the Ace, or pay a little extra for the 1" thick pad.

The Lage from Tromix is also a nice folder that works with the Ace hinge but it's a bitch to add a recoil pad to that one.

New member here. Not new to saigas though. I have a few of those tromix saigas with a VERY nice(but not cheap) ace collapsible folder. It's got a huge padded upper tube, making the recoil abuse on my cheek not too bad during extended range sessions.

It wasn't cheap, damn near as much as the gun itself, but it's comfy to shoot and the folding and extension lock ups are ROCK SOLID. Not sure which model the stock is though. But tromix could tell you.

It also has handling surfaces that are comfortable, unlike the underfolders and Russian triangle side folders.

What is uncomfortable about them?

aks-74_468.JPGak-74m_619.JPG

Other than the expense/receiver mods necessary to install them on a Saiga, I can't think of a downside to them.

....and I don't care for underfolders, either.

I just don't care for the sharp edges on the triangle folders, that's all. I do like the way they look though.

I forgot to mention the Russian solid side folders. I love those things, just wish they weren't so much work to install, same with the triangles.

Not quite sure what 'sharp edges' you're talking about on the triangle folder. I've not ever been scratched.

All the edges on the stocks I have that touch the user are rolled or ground to a smooth curvature.

Edited by nalioth

Hello, Saiga nut

If the Ace stock is what you're seeking, just go to the ACE site, or better yet, Blackjack Buffers dot com, they usually have items in stock and at a lower price than Ace has them for.

-If you're looking for the "Lage" stocks, you may need to patiently wait for Tony to respond....

Are you describing the Ace "SOCOM" stock? The one that has a single top tube, adjustable for LOP, with a triangulated butt end on it? I have two of those , one on a S-.308, one on a S-12, I think they are likely the functionally best stock available. Not the cheapest, but prolly the best.

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Robinson Armament had a friction hinge folding stock for the AK.

They fold at an angle so you can operate the charging handle with ease.

They fold out with the flick of the wrist and lock right up.

They stopped selling for the AKs but they still sell them for the XCR's.

Play with an XCR at a shop and you will see what I mean.

They are very cool stocks.

If you liked them, I bet Robinson Armament could hook you up.

Hello, Saiga nut

Ace also has a non-adjustable lighter-duty version available, I think they call it the "AR Lite". It doesn't have the triangulated butt piece, and is a lot cheaper, but if you carefully cut it to the correct LOP, it's just as comfortable as the SOCOM. You can get either one with the optional 1" recoil pad that really luxuriates your day at the range....

guido2 in Houston

where do i get one of those cool Russian triangle side folders?

You don't. :( Russian Ak parts are very very hard to get in the US.

However, you can buy a Bulgarian AKS-74 kit and steal the rear end out of it (build you a nice fixed stock 5.45 rifle out of the front end)

or

You can pay big bucks to k-var and get a rear section + front latch from there.

Edited by nalioth
where do i get one of those cool Russian triangle side folders?

You don't. :( Russian Ak parts are very very hard to get in the US.

However, you can buy a Bulgarian AKS-74 kit and steal the rear end out of it (build you a nice fixed stock 5.45 rifle out of the front end)

or

You can pay big bucks to k-var and get a rear section + front latch from there.

I have the triangle stock on my aks-74u. That's what the thing was designed for, not a shotgun! You need some form of shock absorbtion on a 12ga. Ace or Lage is the way to go. I have the Ace comming in the mail, but the mounting is the same so if you get the receiver block, and the folder, you can swap between an Ace and Lage.

Straight up ak-74 synthetic stocks look good too, but again it comes down to comfort.