Saiga 12 magazine plug

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"top" of the piece [what the shell would sit on] lined up with "1"     top of "side" lined up with "1" Top of other "side" lined up with "1"

For about the last 8 or 9 years I've been making and selling galvanized steel inserts to limit mag capacity for hunting. They are exactly like the Russian mag capacity limiters and guaranteed to work

Posted Images

Ya..trying to re-invent the wheel for $5 isn't really worth it.

All the 2rnd mags you linked above were for the rock and lock and would need modification for your magwell anyway.

Haha yep. It's so comical year after year as dove season gets here watching these same posts pop up about trying to figure out what people can cram into their mags, chop down mags, and even go as far as attempting to build new mags just to get a reliable two round mag so they can hunt successfully with their Saiga. I always chime in and tell them about my exact copies of the Russian one that has long been tried and proven to work perfect, but that doesn't phase them....5 bucks is just too much to spend for perfection....lol.  Funny.  haha.gif

• Like 1

Well my Saiga came with a 4-Round Mag instead of 5-Round so do I just cut off some of the plug to give me my full 2-Round experience?

I have personally never seen a Saiga 12 mag that only holds 4 rounds. But then again I've never owned one with a factory LRBHO in it until my Vepr 12 came in, and even that one has a 5 rd mag. I've just never had one to design a limiter for except 2, 5, and 8 rd mags from Izhmash. If you want to send me your 4 rd mag I can make a custom length mag limiter that holds 2 perfectly with enough room to insert on a closed bolt but not enough to squeeze in a 3rd round.

• Like 1

If you or anyone else could post a good picture of the follower removed from the magazine, next to a ruler or a normal 5 rd Saiga mag I could tell just from that if my limiters will work. Basically I just need to know if there are any other differences besides the fact the LRBHO followers travel all the way to the top instead of stopping with one shell rim's width to go.

As long as the total distance from the floor plate up to the inside top of the follower is the same it will work the same, assuming the total height of the mag body & feed lips is the same.

Jdeko,

Now let's take the follower out. You will find a button located in the middle of the floorplate. Press it in with a pen and carefully slide the floorplate to the back of the magazine. The spring will pop out leaving the follower. Tip the mag and it should fall right out. You can do this and no worries as it's super easy to get back together. Cobra needs dimensions of that follower.

Alright yep there's the reason it only hold 4 rds. If HPD can try swapping a 5rd follower in his 4rd mag to see if it works (if it will even fit the body) then these 4 rd followers should be able to be modified to let it hold 5 rds. I'm not sure why they lengthened the follower like that I will check the followers in my Vepr 12 5rd vs my Izzy 8rd and a Izzy 5rd and post pics.

JDeko it is hard to tell from the photo angle but in your pics do you have the dummy end of the tape flush with the end of the mag body and follower in those pics?

When I was foreman on escalator jobs, I would buy a new Luftkin tape for each job. This would be the King tape, and was only used every Monday morning to check every tape and rule on the job. Any tape that failed had the end cut off, and every folding rule that failed was broken. When you must hold a tolerance of 1/2 of a 64th of an inch, this is a necessity!

Do these pics help?

Yes thanks for posting. Been too busy catching up some work in the shop to get back to this. I took some more pics as well and been trying to find time to post them.

Alright I just uploaded these pics from my phone & resized them to post in case it helps anyone else who's been wondering about the difference in these mags, springs, & followers.

From this it looks to me like my five round / two round mag limters need to be made shorter by about an inch then they will work exactly the same in the Saiga 4 rd mags. At first I thought it may only be the follower height limiting their capacity, but the body is also shorter from looking at the photos above compared to my Vepr 12 5 rd magwell mag. The fours do have longer legs on the follower than in the S-12 5 rd mags though and the AGPs. The SGM Vepr 12 followers are also almost identical to the Russian followers FWIW.

Pics...

Izhmash 8 rd, Vepr 5 rd, Izhmash 5 rd,  AGP 10 rd

post-1293-0-37467900-1411227945_thumb.jpg

From the bottom up... SGM 10, Izzy 8, Vepr 5, Izzy 5

post-1293-0-28786300-1411230050_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-04632600-1411229707_thumb.jpg

L-R SGM, Izzy, Vepr, Izzy, AGP

post-1293-0-72924300-1411228267_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-91627000-1411228119_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-32488300-1411228291_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-08768100-1411230452_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-27520700-1411230232_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes I'd rather have a 4 rd mag here to custom make it for because it requires an exact bending process for each length, but I can probably get it within spec just from an accurate measurement from the top rear of the mag on top of feed lip down to the very bottom of the floor plate. (Outside measurement down the spine)

Thanks HPD.  Really just need within about 1/2 a shell base (rim to rim) width. I like to leave close to 3/4 width so it's easy to insert on a closed bolt but you still can't force a third round in.