Saiga 12 magazine plug

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"top" of the piece [what the shell would sit on] lined up with "1"     top of "side" lined up with "1" Top of other "side" lined up with "1"

For about the last 8 or 9 years I've been making and selling galvanized steel inserts to limit mag capacity for hunting. They are exactly like the Russian mag capacity limiters and guaranteed to work

Posted Images

• 6 years later...

Thin slat of wood, one that fits between the spring, and will stay in place is a good option. Slide it up in between the coils, then restore the bottom plate.  Simple, easy. Just gotta trim it to the correct length...  nothing to it.

Love the NECROTHREAD!!!!!!!  HAHAHAH 032.gif

Never opened a Mag before [just got my first firearm 14 or so days ago] how does one do this?

And thank you for all your help.

Like HPD said, it's pretty obvious if you look around...

With that said, if I needed a 2 round mag for hunting, and since I'm insanely lazy when I can be, I'd cut some 12ga size wood dowels, load and glue one to the next (with proper time to cure) until I got to only 2 rounds free on whatever sized mag you had available.. 20 round mag or 5, my method should get the job done... If the glue should happen to break during hunting pack up your gear and go home.

The obvious advantage with my strategy is that the mag could easily be reverted to original size (so could Indy's method) and you don't have to take the mag apart... Since Izzy mags can no longer be imported you don't want to go f'n one up.

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

Rip the handle off a 5 gal bucket. Bend it into a rectangle that fits in the spring and will only allow 2 rounds in the mag. ANY mag. you could use a 5 rd or a 10 round, just make the rectangle that works to block it to 2 rds.  This does not work on drums, unfortunately!

• Like 1

so far I just have the 4-round one that came with it

Err? Should have been a 5 round mag that came with the gun...

4 round http://legionusainc.com/iz-433-saiga-12-russian-ak-type-shotgun.html

might be a regional thing, like California or Chicago compliant.

so no one knows about the 2-round mags and how they work with a magweel?

No, 030/040's come with a 4 round magazine.

4 round http://legionusainc.com/iz-433-saiga-12-russian-ak-type-shotgun.html

might be a regional thing, like California or Chicago compliant.

so no one knows about the 2-round mags and how they work with a magweel?

Where do you come across a 2 rounder?

Never seen 2 round magwell mags, only 2rd rock n locks.they are specifically marked with a 2 ink stamp on the back of them. Just a 5rd mag with a factory plug, the plug fits into vepr mags too. 

Edited by Mullet Man

Never seen 2 round magwell mags, only 2rd rock n locks.they are specifically marked with a 2 ink stamp on the back of them. Just a 5rd mag with a factory plug, the plug fits into vepr mags too.

That was my thought as well. And I would be very hesitant to modify a 2 round rock-n-lock magazine to work in 030/040. Or atleast I question the practicality. It might get stuck in the magwell and have to be pushed out from the receiver.

I like the idea of creating a plug out of a five gallon bucket handle. It sounds effective and easy enough. You just need to be able to find the floor plate.

I have a 3D printer and I'd be willing to try printing a magazine plug to convert a magazine to 2 rounds. But what's the starting magazine? I have the 030 or 040 (not sure which), so I don't have the rock-n-lock mags, but the magazine-well mags. I only have the stock 4 round mag and some 5-round VEPR mags that I've converted. Also some SGM 10-rounders made for my magwell.

So, I'm not sure I have a good test magazine to do this. But it should be an extremely easy part to design and print out.

These are the 2-Rounders that I've found so far:

http://www.saiga-12.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AGP-S12-MAG-2RD
http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/sgm-s12-2rd-mag.htm

If you could 3D print a plug that'd be awesome, how much do you think it would cost me since i'm not sure about my ability to use a dowel or bucket handle to do it. I just imagine the dowel slipping right as Ranger Rick shows up and reams me for having an illegal mag for hunting or me messing up and the bucket handle ruining the mag in some way permanently.

These are the 2-Rounders that I've found so far:

http://www.saiga-12.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AGP-S12-MAG-2RD

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/sgm-s12-2rd-mag.htm

If you could 3D print a plug that'd be awesome, how much do you think it would cost me since i'm not sure about my ability to use a dowel or bucket handle to do it. I just imagine the dowel slipping right as Ranger Rick shows up and reams me for having an illegal mag for hunting or me messing up and the bucket handle ruining the mag in some way permanently.

Well, I don't know which magazine we're talking about using for a 3D printed plug. I have a Legion-converted Saiga with a magazine well, so I don't have any rock-n-lock magazines. Which do you have? If you can send me a four- or five-round magazine for testing, I could probably design something and send the mag back to you with a plug. That would also help me to know the difference with the magazines that I have, so I could make them for use in magazines that work with a magwell.

I have a 4-round stock Saiga magazine and some modified 5-round VEPR magazines that I use in my Saiga. I could develop plugs for all of these, if people were interested.

For about the last 8 or 9 years I've been making and selling galvanized steel inserts to limit mag capacity for hunting. They are exactly like the Russian mag capacity limiters and guaranteed to work exactly as they are intended, with no danger of hangups or holding too many rounds.

They're only 5 bucks each.

PM me if you want any.

• Like 2

I just have the factory 4-rounder my Saiga 433-030 came with.

Oh, right. I should have read above. I also have the 4-rounder that comes with a 433-030. We probably have the same gun then. I could probably develop a spacer plug for mine and see how it works. Let me take mine apart and see what I can come up with.

As for the Carolina Shooters Supply 2-round mag that needs modification for the 030--I don't really know what mods it would need. I've been modifying VEPR-12 mags for my magwell Saiga, but prices for those have skyrocketed on GunBroker because the sanctions (aka ban) on Russian imports. So I guess I won't be converting any more of those. It might be worth getting the 2-rounder to see what needs modified. I have no idea what it would need.

Maybe I should consider printing the whole magazine and maybe then transfer the spring and follower. LOL. That might work.

Edited by MR_22

I just have the factory 4-rounder my Saiga 433-030 came with.

Oh, right. I should have read above. I also have the 4-rounder that comes with a 433-030. We probably have the same gun then. I could probably develop a spacer plug for mine and see how it works. Let me take mine apart and see what I can come up with.

As for the Carolina Shooters Supply 2-round mag that needs modification for the 030--I don't really know what mods it would need. I've been modifying VEPR-12 mags for my magwell Saiga, but prices for those have skyrocketed on GunBroker because the sanctions (aka ban) on Russian imports. So I guess I won't be converting any more of those. It might be worth getting the 2-rounder to see what needs modified. I have no idea what it would need.

Maybe I should consider printing the whole magazine and maybe then transfer the spring and follower. LOL. That might work.

If you could print some that aren't all ribbed or checkered, but look more like the stamped metal mags I'd be very happy to buy some off you.

I realize that the ridges or other patterns are to make it easier to grip and serve a tactical purpose but they just look so odd to me, like they're made of children's mitten cubbies or something.