Getting Started in Practical Shooting

First thing I would advise a person to do is find a local gun club check them out see what they have going on. You might want to check out a few matches before shooting in one.

Don't be afraid to get out there, we all have had brain melt downs, you can be competitive with any combination of weapons, you don't have to put a lot of money into accessories before you show up. Come on out and shoot with what you have. I would advise not investing a ton of money in any sport until your sure your going to like it.

Remember shows like Shooting USA show top pros with top of the line items because they are trying to sell stuff. Go to a match shoot, have fun and if you want get serious, I shoot more for comradery and hanging out with other shooters than realistically think I'm going to win.

Shooters what advice would you give perspective 3 gunners?

I can speak to several years of IDPA and 3Gun competitions. Generally, we welcome new shooters and will walk you through the paces. Obviously, safe gun handling is paramount so spend some time in private with someone experienced to hone your gun handling from a holster to achieve at least a level of safety where your muzzle awareness and finger know where to be when moving. If you don't have the "friend" then come out anyway and watch a bit then WALK through the course for your first few times. The sport is great fun and you can meet some very friendly folks but we get really nervous when the muzzle starts moving in our direction!

Sooner you jump in, the sooner you start learning. You can watch it on youtube and all, but you never learn like when you are the one pulling the trigger.

So, get at least the minimum and head out and play. Minimum = some gear, some bullets, safety eyes and ears, and a willing attitude to listen to the SO's, a commitment to complete safety, meaning finger and muzzle awareness no matter what, but especially when moving and reloading, drawing and holstering (all trouble times).

Then, if you want to get good, let gear envy kick in the next day. During the match, always concentrate on the best way you and your gear can get thru the challenges. There's always someone there with a new shiny toy!

Find a range and matches, most are lucky enough not to be too far away from where you live probably. If brand new, take the time and watch a match or two, ask questions and then try it. Many clubs will waive the fee for first time shooters and many more will take the time to be sure you understand the instructions and course of fire. After you shoot one, you should be adequately hooked to then scan the forums and start lowering that learning curve. Last but not least, SMOOTH is FAST.