Thinking about making a 3" S-12

Maybe I'm just a nut-job, but after a few beers, I was thinking about making an S-12 shorter then 6".

Something around 3"......which of course is the complete length of the chamber.

My thought is to drill the gas port about 3/4" off the breech face, right through the side of the chamber and vent it into the gas manifold. The gas manifold would be bumped up against the receiver. The gas pressure would blow a hole right through the side of the plastic shotshell hull, into the gas manifold, driving the piston rearward to cycle the action.

I'm sure the internet jockey's will ask "why"........it's simply because high speed mechanical engineering is interesting to me.......I would get a warm fuzzy feeling if it actually worked.

Your thoughts?

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Hmmmm.... My thoughts?

Well... naturally.... GO FOR IT!

:killer: ..... :killer: ..... :killer: ..... :killer: ..... :killer: ..... :killer: ............... :super:

(I can totally appreciate an empathize with that "...warm and fuzzy feeling" when a thing thought-up, actually works.)

ya know what, what about a siamese 3"? maybe you could use the muzzle blast off one to recharge the other....

I dunno about how you will stabilize the gas pressures outside of a specific handload and good hulls of exactly the same lot #'s.....

....but then again? IM NOT A GUNSMITH!!!!

you best be sure to get a picture of the muzzle blast off it EVEN IF IT DONT WORK LOL!!!!

Maybe I'm just a nut-job, but after a few beers, I was thinking about making an S-12 shorter then 6".

Something around 3"......which of course is the complete length of the chamber.

My thought is to drill the gas port about 3/4" off the breech face, right through the side of the chamber and vent it into the gas manifold. The gas manifold would be bumped up against the receiver. The gas pressure would blow a hole right through the side of the plastic shotshell hull, into the gas manifold, driving the piston rearward to cycle the action.

I'm sure the internet jockey's will ask "why"........it's simply because high speed mechanical engineering is interesting to me.......I would get a warm fuzzy feeling if it actually worked.

Your thoughts?

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Maybe I should donate my hack job if you put in the labor :rolleyes::rolleyes: My stamp is for max 8" so you would have to pay the additional tax stamp as well :haha::haha: Haha.

Hey I purchased some xpert 1400 loads and will try tomorrow. I ran into a guy who owns one of your thumpers or so he said. He did know about your work and was very very happy with his thumper.

Why the hell not. Sounds like a perfect candidate for an under barrel system. What would you do for a handguard? I guess you could hold the mag or put a horizontal fore grip on it. Looks like you wouldn't have a gas tube and would be butting the gas block up directly to its base. Sound like a lot of fun just to try. What ever you do though... Don't tell Bob to "Watch this!!!!" when you test it. Just kiddin.

I'd be worried about the hull catching and preventing the entire bolt form moving back with the new hole out the side of it...

You'd have to be sure to angle the gas ports forward to allow any deformation of the shotgun hull to create a forward facing "trap-door" type hanging chad... Then when the bolt pulls back, the hull flops back down into place and is extracted. You won't be re-loading those shells :)

Also, angling the ports forward would allow you to pseudo lengthen the gas system. Since you'd probably have to cut down the bolt-carrier to get a 3" shotty to work.

Edited by SaigaNoobie
I'd be worried about the hull catching and preventing the entire bolt form moving back with the new hole out the side of it...

You'd have to be sure to angle the gas ports forward to allow any deformation of the shotgun hull to create a forward facing "trap-door" type hanging chad... Then when the bolt pulls back, the hull flops back down into place and is extracted. You won't be re-loading those shells :)

Also, angling the ports forward would allow you to pseudo lengthen the gas system. Since you'd probably have to cut down the bolt-carrier to get a 3" shotty to work.

I was thinking the same thing, but I think the hull is going to get stuck in the chamber no matter how you angle the gas port. I can't think of a shotgun design that would be less reliable. Good luck.