I see only 3 gas ports in my gas cylinder

I understand there's supposed to be 4?

From posts I've read, I also understand that the QC at the factory is such that the gas ports in the barrel aren't always lined up right with the hole in the gas cylinder before the barrel's pinned in place.

Luckily, this gun was bought for the sole purpose of having it turned into a Tromix S06 14", and I believe Tony realigns the barrel/gas ports as necessary as part of the conversion.

Most 22" guns only have 3 gas ports, though some have 4.

All 19" guns should have 4 ports unless the factory screwed up.

Almost all of the 17" guns only had 3 gas ports.

Lately, the drill pattern has been too far forward, so the top port in the diamond pattern is blocked off.

Tony

"Lately, the drill pattern has been too far forward, so the top port in the diamond pattern is blocked off." - Tony

Yep, that appears to be the case in my 19" gun. Hey, I got 3 out of 4! Not bad!

The only other apparent goofup in my gun is that the safety selector was apparently stamped from a piece of metal that wasn't quite big enough. There's a bit of the top rear corner cut off, so when the safety is on the "hole" created by the relief in the topcover for the charging handle isn't quite closed up, right in the upper rear corner. Not a functional issue, but it's a little disappointing from a cosmetic standpoint.

The good news is that AGP mags fit fine, the BHO works (apparently the spring was installed right), and the fire control group seems to work (someone somewhere said their sear didn't reset after cycling or some such).

I have not fired the gun yet. Hopefully it will work!

I don't care if Izhmash is the same manufacturer of Russian military AK's. These Saiga shotguns are NOTHING like Russian made AKM's. Russian made AKM's (real ones, select-fire, as originally made for military use) are extremely well made with excellent fit and finish. They look nothing like the current crappy Maadi or Romanian AK's coming in now.

I just checked mine. I see four and they all seem to be centered on the upper pipes hole. The date stamp is 07. Does that mean I was just lucky? Also maybe its my eyes but the four holes look to be drilled at a angle tilting toward the back of the gun.

BTW-> I was meaning to ask this. Before I go firing the gas adj plug comes out easy. But I notice after firing it is harder to unscrew, like the lead pounder found its way in the treads. Is that normal? Thanks in advance

I use molly type anti-seeze on the threads, after a couple hundred rounds it still comes off easy. Be carelull to put a light coat and on the male threads only - that way it does not get into the gas system.

I use molly type anti-seeze on the threads, after a couple hundred rounds it still comes off easy. Be carelull to put a light coat and on the male threads only - that way it does not get into the gas system.

I had the third port partially blocked in my IZ109. I took a grinding bit from a dremmel, bent it 90 deg., and locked into a set of vice grips. I took the gas piston out, and gently bored the gas ports out with my homemade S12 gasport openupper, and it worked great. It took about 45 minutes to get it really open as well as the others, then while I was at it, I opened them all up just a little. I also had to hold a mini maglite under my chin to get a good look at the ports. Not a precise way of going about it, but it worked very well. My IZ109 spits walmart el-cheapo 100 round boxes out and asks for more. Before I opened the ports up, it wouldn't cycle a single light load without stovepiping.