.308 specific conversion questions.

Hi folks.

I have been searching around here but I am having trouble finding specifics on the .308 conversion versus others. O think I see some differences but I am not sure. For starters it looks like the FCG group only has one pin holding it in. It looks like this is just drifted out. Additionally, it looks like the bottom of the receiver is already cut for the location of the new trigger hole. Is this correct?? What else might I be missing???

So far this doesn't look like it would be too difficult with the .308 but I am unsure of what to expect.

Thanks

Kevin

There is a pin for the trigger/disco and a pin for the hammer. Unlike the .223 & 7.62x39mm versions these pins do not have heads on them that need to be ground off, so they can be taken out as per a normal AK stripping once the sheps crook is removed.

The baseplate has two rivets that need drilling and a couple of spot welds, then it pops right off. My .308 already had the grip screw hole pre drilled. You can tell if yours does pretty quickly. Take the top cover off, the mainspring out, and the bolt carrier assemlby out. Look at the trigger from inside the rifle. If there is an inexplicably larger cut out at the rear of the trigger travel channel, yours has been cut for a grip screw already.

Good luck.

good thing you are asking first! You don't need a ramp made out of pipe to ramp the bullets up the breech.

I was able to buy a FCG from Tony Rumore who grinds the parts down for you and you don't have to mess with the disconnector spring

http://www.tromix.com/

I think the .308 is the easiest to convert (in my VAST 2 conversion experience ;) ) The trigger plate can be bent up and knocked off with a cold chisel. Spot welds split like butta. Good luck.

OK. I hate to beat this dead horse but are you guys saying that the standard AK stock for a stamped receiver has the cutout for the lower tang on the Saiga?. I was under the impression most of the stamped AK's only had an upper tang?

OK. I hate to beat this dead horse but are you guys saying that the standard AK stock for a stamped receiver has the cutout for the lower tang on the Saiga?. I was under the impression most of the stamped AK's only had an upper tang?

OK. I am an idiot. I see now that when the trigger guard comes off and is moved the tang portion is part of the trigger guard so it would come off. :rolleyes:

You don't need that lower tang. Just cut it of flush with the receiver. If you are installing a PG it doesn't matter anyway, the TG gets moved forward. Either way it does not effect the stock.

There are no stocks that have that particular cutout on the bottom, except Saiga stocks or aftermarket ones made to use in non PG conversions (no REAL AK stocks...)