Conversion is MIIIIIIIIIINE!!

Finally got the balls to do the conversion. I started it yesterday, and worked on it on & off, until I finished it tonight. Total time, minus the "breaks", was about an hour. A lot quicker than I thought it was gonna be. The only things left to do is install the bullet guide, finish filing the mag catch (the catch is close to letting the mags click in, but I stopped to take pics and post), and refinish it, or at least paint the bottom. I think I might have to go with a longer stock, but the one I have will suffice for now.

Thanks to everyone for the info I've gathered, and thanks to Nalioth who offered to help over the phone if I got stuck!

Compliance: Tapco G2 Trigger (I haven't fired it yet, but just the dry firing it, the trigger feels much better), Tapco butt-stock and PG.

FU***NG-A!!!

Good Job!!

Now we need a range report.

Hey, thanks man!

I know, I can't wait to get out and fire off a few rounds. But it's been sooooooo cold lately, like snot freezing cold. But I hear it's supposed to be around 50* on Tuesday, so hopefully I can then.

Finally got the balls to do the conversion. I started it yesterday, and worked on it on & off, until I finished it tonight. Total time, minus the "breaks", was about an hour. A lot quicker than I thought it was gonna be. The only things left to do is install the bullet guide, finish filing the mag catch (the catch is close to letting the mags click in, but I stopped to take pics and post), and refinish it, or at least paint the bottom. I think I might have to go with a longer stock, but the one I have will suffice for now.

Thanks to everyone for the info I've gathered, and thanks to Nalioth who offered to help over the phone if I got stuck!

Compliance: Tapco G2 Trigger (I haven't fired it yet, but just the dry firing it, the trigger feels much better), Tapco butt-stock and PG.

everything looks great! I would recommend painting the bottom before you have everything attached.

nice job man looks great! I know what you mean about the stock lenth tho, I put a non folding krinkov stock on mine.. i'm 6'4" it just doesnt feel comfortable. I was thinking of putting on a recoil pad to add a little lenth.

let us know how it shoots

Did you have to cut the holes for the pistol grip and or the trigger on the 7.62x39 rifle?The 223 version looks like the holes are already there.Thanks for any info.

Those holes exist on the 7.62x39 and .223 versions of the Saiga. They're just covered with the plate from the factory.

Thanks all, for the compliments. Yeah, I know I gotta paint the bottom, but I wanted to reassemble everything just to see it all together :wub: . I haven't locktited (is that a word? :rolleyes: ) anything yet, so I can easily strip it all back down when needed.

I'm curious. What kind of butt stock is that. I've not seen one with those contours. Nice job on the conversion.

It's this http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?id=c58e...93-3811a578ed2a . You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, but I was already getting some stuff from there anyway. I like the look, but it's a tad short for my taste, and I'm not sure a recoil pad would give me the length I need. But I can deal with it for now.

Edited by 22_Shooter
Did you have to cut the holes for the pistol grip and or the trigger on the 7.62x39 rifle?The 223 version looks like the holes are already there.Thanks for any info.

Those holes exist on the 7.62x39 and .223 versions of the Saiga. They're just covered with the plate from the factory.

I got my x39 about a year ago. (See my join date. :D )

"Y" stamp, dimples, 16" barrel, etc.

But, I had to cut the hole for the pistol grip. ?? :blink:

I guess there are some different variations out, huh?

Anyway, good job man!

You are gonna like your Saiga.

If your stock is too short, Kavar makes a "NATO length" that is longer.

Edited by mini14jac