Getting really pissed

What the freaking HELL is going on with the damn dust cover. I took the gun apart and everything was going smoothly until I tried to put the top back on. The top WILL NOT go back on. Is there some kind of trick on getting the top back on.

I am putting the button thing on the recoil spring through the hole in the dust cover and tried to slide the whole thing on it. I've played with it for 1 hour straight and cannot figure out why the top is not popping on. Am I missing something. Am I supposed to secure the recoil spring in the gun AND THEN try putting the top on. I tried that but that did not work either.

I know it has to be something simple otherwise I'm throwing the bastard away!!

What the freaking HELL is going on with the damn dust cover. I took the gun apart and everything was going smoothly until I tried to put the top back on. The top WILL NOT go back on. Is there some kind of trick on getting the top back on.

I am putting the button thing on the recoil spring through the hole in the dust cover and tried to slide the whole thing on it. I've played with it for 1 hour straight and cannot figure out why the top is not popping on. Am I missing something. Am I supposed to secure the recoil spring in the gun AND THEN try putting the top on. I tried that but that did not work either.

I know it has to be something simple otherwise I'm throwing the bastard away!!

Yes the recoil spring should be in place first

The way I do it is to place the dust shield in at the front, and get things lined up and press in a down and forward direction on the back of the shield.

After you do it a few times its easy.

I'd really like to get the top back on tonight so I can go shoot tomorrow morning as planned! Man, how embarassing I have to ask such a question.

Hell I wouldn't be, if I take something apart, I'm usually not smart enough to ask for help so I generally have to stay up all night to get it back together. If there are any parts left over they go in the trash ;)

I put the muzzle on my foot (with the gun clear and freshly reassembled), hold the butt in my left hand, stick the front of the cover into the front slot, and with my right hand, palm down, thumb over the rear of the cover, push it tword my foot and into the receiver's top, which seems to be pretty easy force-wise overall....the frontward pressure is much easier to apply like this, as it is more of a natural movement like this.

Edited by Bvamp
I'd really like to get the top back on tonight so I can go shoot tomorrow morning as planned! Man, how embarassing I have to ask such a question.

Hell I wouldn't be, if I take something apart, I'm usually not smart enough to ask for help so I generally have to stay up all night to get it back together. If there are any parts left over they go in the trash ;)

yeh, you shoulda seen me trying to figure out how to get a mossberg rifle back together for the first time without paying attention to the bolt/spring alignment when I took it apart....fun times

I put the muzzle on my foot (with the gun clear and freshly reassembled), hold the butt in my left hand, stick the front of the cover into the front slot, and with my right hand, palm down, thumb over the rear of the cover, push it tword my foot and into the receiver's top, which seems to be pretty easy force-wise overall....the frontward pressure is much easier to apply like this, as it is more of a natural movement like this.

Probably not a good idea with a shark brake. :eek:

true, one of the other ways I do it is support the gun in my left arm with my thumb through the trigger after dropping the hammer. then of course, there is the left hand and just slapping it on there from doing it so many times after clearing an odd split or stick or other debris with a loaded mag and/or one in the chamber....but we wont go there

The quickest way I've found to get it on is to only barely set the recoil spring assembly into the rails on the rear triunion. That way the dust cover fits on with no resistance - after that I run the bolt back a couple of times until the recoil spring assembly pops into proper place on the rear triunion. Goes far faster and easier than any other method I've tried, only takes about 10 seconds.

Thanks a bunch guys! Only if I would have known that there were little rails for the recoil spring to slide back on in the first place. You guys shoulda seen me try to figure it out, I was getting pretty pissy! Now that I know how easy it is..... I feel a tad bit silly haha.

I was actually trying back the recoil thingy back up into the hole in the dust cover and then trying to slam it shut! At that time it was the only thing I thought could possibly work.

yeh, you shoulda seen me trying to figure out how to get a mossberg rifle back together for the first time without paying attention to the bolt/spring alignment when I took it apart....fun times

Ha! About a month ago my neighbor asked me to come over and put his back together. He had already been trying for a good 30 minutes. I gave it another 20 before I figured it out. Like 2 monkey's gang-raping a football.

Thanks a bunch guys! Only if I would have known that there were little rails for the recoil spring to slide back on in the first place. You guys shoulda seen me try to figure it out, I was getting pretty pissy! Now that I know how easy it is..... I feel a tad bit silly haha.

I was actually trying back the recoil thingy back up into the hole in the dust cover and then trying to slam it shut! At that time it was the only thing I thought could possibly work.

hehe

I was wondering what the problem was. It's just like an AK, slide in the front of the dust cover and then smack down on the rear.

Don't feel too bad, Elon. I won't even go into details or how long it took me to figure out the correct clock postions on the bolt to get it to slide back onto their rails. :rolleyes:

It's like buying a new car. Until you actually tear into it, you don't know what everything does; especially the buttons that aren't marked because everyone knows what they are for.

Since you're going to the range.... you've figured out the magazine release lever...RIGHT?

:P

Had to say it :haha:

(on a side note...I spent 20 mins figuring out how to place the gas tube/gas selector cap back on my Sig 556 once when I 1st got it).

Edited by whatmanual