New Saiga-12!........front sight question/problem

Hello, I have owned a Saiga 308 for about 3 years, and been a member of this site for almost as long. A few days ago I took the plunge and bought a Saiga-12 and 3 10rd mags for it. I love the rifle, it has shot 150rds thru it without a hiccup...but when I shot some slugs thru it at 100 yrds it shot way low and left, I also dislike the front bead.....to me it looks blurred. So onto my question, is there an adjustable fiber optic sight I can get to replace the bead?

Hello, I have owned a Saiga 308 for about 3 years, and been a member of this site for almost as long. A few days ago I took the plunge and bought a Saiga-12 and 3 10rd mags for it. I love the rifle, it has shot 150rds thru it without a hiccup...but when I shot some slugs thru it at 100 yrds it shot way low and left, I also dislike the front bead.....to me it looks blurred. So onto my question, is there an adjustable fiber optic sight I can get to replace the bead?

I believe they have a multi-thread one at walmart that is fiber-optic. However, I doubt that will solve your impact problem. I noticed that the gas block on my 24" is not in line with the barrel, and thus the alignment was off when shooting slugs with the factory sights.

I would recommend either the factory site available at the non-forum component of this webpage www.saiga-12.com, or the Krebs (if they are available). It will give a longer sight radius and the front sight alignment is based off of the barrel, rather than the gas block (which is likely misaligned with the barrel).

The advantage of the Krebs is that it uses AR15 front sight posts to give you a more versatile selection. The Russian one is much more cheaply made and the adjustment will not hold zero on mine (I think I need to loctite it in).

Oh, and they both make your shotty look more traditional which also adds to the cool factor!

I believe they have a multi-thread one at walmart that is fiber-optic. However, I doubt that will solve your impact problem. I noticed that the gas block on my 24" is not in line with the barrel, and thus the alignment was off when shooting slugs with the factory sights.

I would recommend either the factory site available at the non-forum component of this webpage www.saiga-12.com, or the Krebs (if they are available). It will give a longer sight radius and the front sight alignment is based off of the barrel, rather than the gas block (which is likely misaligned with the barrel).

The advantage of the Krebs is that it uses AR15 front sight posts to give you a more versatile selection. The Russian one is much more cheaply made and the adjustment will not hold zero on mine (I think I need to loctite it in).

Oh, and they both make your shotty look more traditional which also adds to the cool factor!

+1 on the AK style sight as sold by www.saiga-12.com

This addition made my Saiga (Which also shot low/left) shoot dead on balls.

For the windage issue (provided the rear sight is centered) your gas block is probably canted on the barrel. Just take a brass hammer and knock it over to top dead center. If you have a bore sighter, you can line it up with that.

I don't believe anyone makes a fibre optic sight with a threaded shaft as large as on the Saiga. You will probably have to remove the stock sight, apply some red loctite and reinstall it. Then let the loctite set up and then grind the front sight down flat. Then re-drill and tap for a smaller diameter fibre optic.

Tony

Tony do you know or anyone else know what size thread the front bead is? I was looking on midway but dont know what size would fit. http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/searc...or=all_products

I'm not sure what the metric size is, but I took one to the hardware store and found some common metric allen head plugs to fill that hole when using decent sights like the Krebs or Russian elevated ones.

The factory front sight post is 4mmx.70 Which is about 5/32"x34tpi.

I don't know of any factory bead that is going to work directly on the Saiga.

Here are the common sizes.

6-48 Remington, Ithica

3-56 Winchester, H&R, Browning Citori

5-40 Mosseberg

2.6mmx.45 Benelli

3mm (not sure on the pitch) Browning A5, Franchi

3-56 Ruger

The largest diameter available is a 6-48 which is too small for your 4mm hole and the thread pitch is way too fine.

There is nothing large enough in diameter with course enough threads to work.

I sleeve the hole with the existing front post, then drill it .081" and tap the hole 2.6mmx.45 for a Benelli post.

Tony

Here....I just made you one.

TruGlo StarBrite Deluxe Fiber Optic shotgun sight assembly threaded M4x.70. Ready to screw directly into your Saiga.

Suitable for Turkey, Waterfowl, and Sporting Clays.

An official licensed product of Ducks Unlimited.......well maybe not, after I got a hold of it..........

$25 if you want it.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

TruGlo.jpg

here is what I'm going to do with mine . I'll weld this front sight onto the gas block.

sg2.jpg

and use this rear sight. A friend of mine made that Pic rail for me . after putting the rear sight on still have room for Aimpoint Cantilever mount.

dsc00045aa6.jpg

dsc00048cb7.jpg

bar11w.jpg

umm, tony, do you by any chance have another one to go around. yeah, that's all you need now, to be making

new posts for fiber optic sights. i just hoped that while you're making your coffee or waiting for your scotch to chill....

and, not to be a pest, but do you have a rear peep sight sitting around (for your ar type saiga front bolt on sight)? that would

go (i think) very well with a optic fiber front bead. or would the line up be all messed up?

cheers

I've only got three of the fiber optic beads in stock. But I can get some more.

Lets get a list going here for whoever wants one, and I'll make up one big batch, ship them to the guys on the list, and ship any remainder to Mississippi Auto Arms for all future distribution.

So far, it looks like I have 3 takers. Just send a check for $25 to Tromix, 405 N. Walnut Ave #8, Broken Arrow, OK 74012.

I will wait until 1/19 and then order up the sights and make them up. If you want me to "hold" one for you, it's simple....get the money in by 1/19 and it's on hold.

I don't have any of the Krebs rear ghost ring sights. I believe they will be too high to work with the low mounted fiber optic bead. And, no, I am not going to make fiber optic "risers".

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

I use the front sight from Wal-Mart it comes in a kit with a bunch of differend bushing you select the one that fits the Saiga and then lock tight it and your done. If your gun is shooting slugs to the right or left you need to move your rear sight with a fine adjustment tool (hammer and Drift Pin) mark it first both on the gun and on the sight so you will have referance points. I had to move mine a bit as far as elivation your just going to have to know where your gun shoots at range and guestimate.

Tony, I would still like to get yours. Consider the check in the mail after you answer a question or two.

First, since I am buying something from you I feel obligated to get the shark brake too. Can I get one of those are is it considered being put on the waiting list? Also your prices include shipping?

So If I can get the shark brake threw you too with the sight, you want a check for $110.00 ?

Shark Brake $85.00

Site $25.00

Just to clarify here guys......the latest guns that just came in, don't have screw-in front sight posts. They are now being staked in place and this screw-in post will not work on those.

So, make sure you have a gun with the older screw-in front sight post before ordering.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

I tested some slugs in my new saiga12 IZ109, and it shot low far left at 50 yrds. I drifted the rear sight, and got it centered. However it is shooting if I remember correctly about half a foot low at that range. My Saiga is new, so has the staked front site. Do I need to file down the front site?

Edited by rodan
Just to clarify here guys......the latest guns that just came in, don't have screw-in front sight posts. They are now being staked in place and this screw-in post will not work on those.

So, make sure you have a gun with the older screw-in front sight post before ordering.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

How would I do this? By putting vise grips on it carefully and seeing if I can twist it off?

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

I have a feeling its been stacked in. Bottom looks beveled outwards. Tony can you tell from the photos because I dont feel like trying to twist it off and making it loose if it is stacked. Is there anything I can do to make your part work, since the check is already in the mail?

Yep, yours is staked. I don't know any fix for that other then drilling it .081" , tapping it 2.6x.045 and screwing in a Benelli fiber optic.

Just keep the Shark Brake and send the sight back. I'll send you a refund for it.

Tony

No problem. Just for my own info can I do the drilling and the tapping that you were taking about and then be able to use yours?

BTW... If I can't, can you verify this is the one I would need for me and others...

Model TG947CRM

http://www.opticsforyou.com/product-9124-117-12-1.html

Thanks for taking the time to help Tony, I know you must be very busy.

I am not sure what that one is.....looks longer then the one I am using.

I used TruGlo P/N TG954DR

You'll need a #46 drill bit and a 2.6mm x .045 Tap.

Grind your sight post flat, center punch it, then drill it with the #46 bit.

Then lube it up and tap it. Go a LITTLE bit at a time. That tap is tiny and fragile. You can EASILY break it off.

Tony

I was looking threw Midway and Brownell's for those two parts. I was able to find the drill bit since you mentioned .081" below which translates to #46. But what is the conversion number for the 2.6mm x .045 Tap? I can't find it under that number.

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/brows...=649***18713***

Also did you mean

TG954DR 5-40 thread size (you said)

or

TG954CR 2.6mm thread size

http://www.truglosights.com/content/produc...rite_deluxe.asp

These numbers confuse the hell out of me, I just dont want to order the wrong thing.

Thanks for all the help.

There's either a misprint on the TruGlo packaging that I have here, or there is a typo on their website.

On the back of the package that contains the 2.6mm sight, it's printed:

TG954DR-Red 2.6mm (Benelli Beretta)

TG954CR-Red 5-40 (Mossberg)

You will have to call TruGlo and find out which one is correct. They have it all fucked up.

Tony