Trigger Guard Weld - It's killing me

I'm on my third Saiga-12 conversion and the hardest thing about every one has been drilling out that front weld on the trigger guard. I dull a titanium bit for each weld per gun. Anyone found a better way to do it? Some other type of bit? Or a grinder bit? Or something? I've got four more to do and I've got everything down to a science except for this one step......thanks

I couldn't get mine drilled all the way through so I took a screw driver and hammer and broke the weld off the trigger plate. then I ground it flat with a bench grinder and tried drilling the otherside but burnt up 3 drill bits and couldnt get through it. I then took a punch and hammer and that worked great. I just laid the trigger guard on a vise and punched right through it. I couldn't believe it worked. I was about ready to give up.

I dulled a few bits trying to get mine off. Gave up and just cut the guard off the plate that you remove anyway that it was attached to. Much easier than drilling if you ask me. The trigger guard stayed intact and the plate was discarded all cut to pieces.

no, you are supposed to drill hellaciously slow into hardened metal anyway. You are giving it a whack first with a punch to make your drill starting mark i take it too? do you do both of these things, spur? with a shot of oil or other lubricant to keep the heat down?

A good punch helps the drill bit bite into the metal since most standard drill bits have a flat section torwards the middle (and of course to keep it from wandering). A good cutting oil works wonders, keeps the heat down and use it in quantity. Slow rpm; take it easy when it's about to drill through or it can catch and deform sheet metal. My bit I used is still sharp :D

I'm on my third Saiga-12 conversion and the hardest thing about every one has been drilling out that front weld on the trigger guard. I dull a titanium bit for each weld per gun. Anyone found a better way to do it? Some other type of bit? Or a grinder bit? Or something? I've got four more to do and I've got everything down to a science except for this one step......thanks

The best way I've found is to remove the whole trigger guard and bottom plate, then flip it over and grind it from the bottom with a dremel tool. Just grind where you think the weld is and before you know it the thing will pop apart easily. I learned my lesson the hard way too. :rolleyes: