I used the search feature first. But nothing on a barrel cut and rethread (for the S-12 only found for rifles). How is it done what options are out there. Can a commercial brake/choke setup be adapted? How much is a typical charge for such a service? Can it be done with a tap/die at home? Thanks in advance.

Edited by fedupwbs

The thread for external chokes or muzzle devices is M22x0.75 metric. Dies are available but not cheap and need be custom ordered. You would then be able to use the Saiga chokes, a Polychoke, and the Russian or Tromix muzzle devices available. Tromix is busy but you might want to check with Red Stick or Ipsc (do forum search or look in commercial section) who might be able to do it for you.

Doesn't the active member from here with his web site below rent these or sales them?

www.dinzagarms.com

I was thinking of doing the same thing after I get my brake in from Tromix. That way the overall length doesn't change. And yes I will have it permanently installed.

Edited by GearHeadFTW
Doesn't the active member from here with his web site below rent these or sales them?

www.dinzagarms.com

I was thinking of doing the same thing after I get my brake in from Tromix. That way the overall length doesn't change. And yes I will have it permanently installed.

Just checked Dinzag's website and he does indeed have a die for the S12. Wasn't aware it was available. Rental cost is $40.

Dinzag, I'm getting the shark brake for my s-12 from Tromix in the mail any day now and have a few questions. I would like to make up the difference in lengh the brake will add so overall the barrel wont be any longer then it was before. What parts will I have to rent from you to do the job? Does your TK2257 kit included everything I need? Also will I need the crown tool? My last question can I use a pipe cutter to cut the barrel or do you recommend something else?

I tried a go at it with the pipe cutter, crumbled 2 bits. Don't bother. It is good for scribing a cut line though. :up: Them barrels are pretty tough and thick.

Personally I prefer the abrasive chop saw or hack saw method.

If you get it straight, file it clean & deburr.

If you think it's not square you can use the crown tool to be certain it is flat, but on a shotgun, I don't think that is overly crucial. Not like a high pressure rifle.

Threading kit rental includes die, holder & tat. All you will need is cutting fluid and elbow grease.

I'm at this decision point too! I have a 22.75 inch saiga 12, and I'm debating about chopping it down to 18.25 or 19.00. Barring that I may say screw it and just buy a new 19 incher.. decisions, decision..

Hey Dinzag, whereabouts are you in MI?

Ok, I've lived roughly at the base of the thumb, and own property roughly in the middle of the pinky. Probably puts you somewhere on the way my wife takes to Shipshewana... Was thinking i'd drop in to rent some stuff in person, but probably will have to go via mail.