Mag Release pin keeps coming out!

The pin wiggles out just enough to screw things up. Seems too short to peen over. Anyone have a roll pin that will fit long enough to peen out the ends?

Wow never heard of that one before. Usually those pins are a mother to take out and put back.

You should go back with a solid pin and peen that. A roll pin would need flaring, not peening.

Edit to add..use a slave pin if you do that. The spring is what makes it hard for most people.

Edited by Cobra 76 two
The pin wiggles out just enough to screw things up. Seems too short to peen over. Anyone have a roll pin that will fit long enough to peen out the ends?

I have a couple extra factory pins. PM me your address and I'll mail you one.

i took my new 12 to the range for a shakedown, ran 150 rounds thru it, when i got home and was cleaning it, i noticed my pin was also partially out, just enough to clear the receiver mount, i pushed it back in and will see if it does the same thing tomorrow at the range. mine is also too short to peen. fortunatly mine didnt give me any problems, i only noticed it when i was cleaning the magwell

I'm gonna haver to open all those I got back up again. When I check the one that is out of the box, the pin is not completely in. It is sticking out on one side by about 1/10th of an inch. I haven't fired it yet and don't know if it would come loose or not. Right now it is barely holding on one side. I'm at a friends now, when I get home I'll check them all out. The shotgun I'm talking about is the one of the two that isn't locking a mag. Not that that is causing it or anything...

Mine also won't lock the AGP mags easily like the factory mag. Factory I can just ease in and it snaps. The AGP I have to slap in or it won't engage. Mike, got the pin today, thanks! Sounds like it might not work though :(

Edited by Rustynuts
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got the same problem!!! Mag Release pin comes out, and it's not long enough to do anything with.

In addition, I can't lock in the factory 5 round mag.

May have to take the mag catch down a bit?

Brand new Saiga-12 from Classic. I guess for $380 what should I expect :unsure:

Did the pin from Mike D. work? If so, Mike can I buy one off you?

Thanks to All - great site

I added a "extended magazine release lever" to my Saiga. I wanted to drill some holes in the mag release, so I removed it from the Siaga. I was surprised how easily I could push it out. I expected to have to drive it out with a hammer and punch. It just pushed out.

Putting it back together was an adventure. The mag release spring was very stiff. (Next time I do this I will use the dental floss trick to pull the spring up to capture it with a slave punch.)

The point of all this: I think the spring tension determines whether or not the pin stays put. I have fired several hundred rounds without pin movement.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, because I've alway had that problem with my EAA import S-12. The pin eventually moves out about halfway making the mag catch a little cockeyed. Even though its always done that, I've never had any problems locking in a magazine no matter where the pin is at. It's just always been a worry that I'll lose the pin at the range some day because of it!

Mine was the same way, it could be pushed out, and would walk out partway from firing. I fixed it. I made a new pin with a small rounded rivet type head at one end and a divot drilled into the other end, long enough to rivet the drilled end when installed. It's basically like a rifle mag release pin now. Works great.