Reliability in Field Conditions?

I am very interested in the 308 Saiga

How reliable is the rifle in field conditions?

Dirt, mud, rain, sand, dust, just normal general crud - Is the rifle forgiving of field conditions ? And how easy or hard is it to field strip and clean?

I want a rifle that is dependable.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Thanks, gamboolman....

Dude, it's an AK, good to go in just about any environment, and fairly easy to field strip. Hard if not impossible to find a more reliable platform.

And, welcome to the forum!

Edited by tritium

let me quote yet again Lord Of WAR "Kalashnikova model of 1947. More commonly known as the AK-47, or Kalashnikov. It's the world's most popular assault rifle. A weapon all fighters love. An elegantly simple 9 pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It doesn't break, jam, or overheat. It'll shoot whether it's covered in mud or filled with sand".

+1 on all of the above.

Any weapon that can be dug out of the sand (where it's been hidden) and then immediately put to action is the weapon for me.

The weapon isn't forgiving of field conditions....it's just downright impervious to them. If you are going to expose it to extremes research what should be done maintenance-wise for those extremes. Someone on this forum recently shot one at 10 degrees Fahrenheit and had problems. He may have left standard lubricant in his weapon when it ought to have been dry.

Field stripping is so simple even a Russian peasant can do it. Although I'll admit those Russian peasants may be smarter than me because sometimes I still have problems lining the bolt properly to reinsert it back in the receiver. I finally figured out that if I cant it ever so slightly to the left and then slide it in there it goes in smooth as silk.

The Saiga .308 is reliable, inexpensive (but not cheaply made), and packs a whallop. If you've never worked with AK's before be patient and get to learn the platform.

Welcome to the forum. Now go out there and get that .308 before it jumps up in price!

It is an AK made in essentially the same factory.....

It is basically one of the best field rifles in the history of the world.

Open it up and look inside it, if you can get that to stop working you've either been working at it or got blown up/crushed along side your weapon.

i think these are my 3 favorites (1)You can knock down everyone else's target with the shock wave of your bullet going downrange.(2)When out of ammo, your rifle makes a supreme war club, pike, boat oar, tent pole, or firewood.(3)You can repair your rifle with a big hammer and a swift kick.

I hunt with my .308 Saiga extensively. From -10f in the field to 100f at the range, rain, snow,sun, no stoppages, EVER. Just like the movies, my magazines never run out.

OK, the last sentence is a joke haha. Is the rest of your post a joke too?

Excellent and reliable hunting rifle. No joke.

I know my rifle is the most reliable in the world and it gives me a laugh. I laugh because I keep her cleaner than my own stinky ass even though I know I could drag this rifle through the mud and she will fire. I respect this rifle to much to get it dirty even though I could drag it through a trash pile in jersey and she will still fire.

I never had a miss fire or a jam, and the only guys who do have shitty ammo and a shitty hand made mag.

This is a rifle of its own class. Top of the list and nothin will ever match it's reliability. Makes me very proud to own it. It is a historic, artistic, and practical firearm.

This is a rifle of its own class. Top of the list and nothin will ever match it's reliability. Makes me very proud to own it. It is a historic, artistic, and practical firearm.

You have a way with words. The way you put that brings a tear of pride to my eye!