Another HAPPY New Guy to the Ranks

I've been on the search for the Saiga-12 and found one at my local dealer of all places (imagine that). I generally buy on-line because of pricing and availability but thought I'd just check if maybe I could find one locally. Not only did they have 1 but 2 on the floor. I thought of buying them both but.... I don't think my wife would've been too happy with that decision :ded:

This noob post wouldn't be complete without a pic and question. So here's the pic and question.

The dealer had 2 Saiga-12's and I picked the one with the vented rib sight (see pic). Can somebody tell me the pros and cons of this?

My thought was it would help in aim under heavy fire - I don't know??? The dealer had no idea either but they at least didn't try and BS me and I respect that. I thought I read somewhere that this was the newer version.

Thanks - Now I get to figure out what I want to do to it.

Saiga12_1.jpg

rail2.jpg

Congrats on the new toy. The sight rib can be a plus or minus depending on the final configuration you plan for the gun.

Welcome to the forum!

Can we hear some of these pros and cons? Since I'm new here too and I was in his shoes too with picking one are the other. I picked the other kind because the barrel was shorter. What are some other reasons?

Welcome to the party! I'm sure you'll have a blast with it.

The ribbed sight has no special pros or cons it's just a short radius sight. Honestly, most people replace them with a better set up like a Mojo sight or a HK sights. That's what Tritium was talking about. When you decide what you want out your weapon you can pick the best sighting system for your application. I have a red dot and and am configuring flip up AR style sight to co-witness.

hey breeze?? go shoot it, will ya?

I know you can "tell" just picking it up, but go shoot it.

you will order your parts the next day, and you probably will read every law relevant, just because of the impression it will make on you....

...like these things did to the rest of us.