BullPup ShotGun ?

There are bullpup kits available for the AK which is what the Saiga is based on. Unfortunately the kits are of poor quality and reportedly give the guns a toy like feel. I imagine if this is bad on the 7.62X39 format it would be really bad on the shotgun format with its increased recoil.

Search Google for AK bullpup and you will find many articles with the same results.

post-2970-1200067121.jpg

Edited by mib2nd

I actually own both a KVAR Bullpup and a pair of High Standard 10-B 12-gauge along with a few other Bullpups, so perhaps I can give you a little more of an actual hands on perspective then others.

The kit itself is of high quality, specially when compared to other "conversion" kits I have dealt with. Mine is built on a Norinco kit and have been in use for over 8 hard years.

The trigger mechanism is tricky to get working correctly sometimes and has the characteristic sponginess of most Bullpup design weapons, due to the long springy linkage rod. I have seen the internal replaced with an external rod that was much stiffer and got rid of a lot of this, but it's being external to the receiver was worrisome to me, even though we tested it and found it difficult to accidentally trip. The prototype ACE FAL Conversion also used an external connector rod.

Most Bullpups are also a little troublesome to left handed shooters and for shoulder transitions during building work, unless you like the feel of hot brass in your face in the morning.

As to advantages that Bullpup design has many. Most obvious is its overall compactness compared to weapons with a similar overall barrel length. It makes an excellent firearm for employment from close inside a car. For tactical building work, the short overall length is a real advantage to avoid flagging and for entry.

I have also found that most shooters will find a real advantage in their ability to achieve a study hold with the firearm, it being easier to stabilize a short length then a long one. It is also much easier to employ the firearm one handed, if that type of operation becomes necessary.

In particular response to your question I have never took a real look at reassembling the kit onto my Saiga 12. The question has been posted before. I will tell you that I have no problems with firing and operating my High Standard 10-B 12-gauge Bullpups because of increased recoil. There is actually decreased recoil. The forward mounting of the pistol grip providing far less of a lever angle then a conventional design I find controllability enhanced.

Despite the resistance of traditionalists the Bullpup is growing in popularity for employment as a military weapon. Israel, China, France, Britain, and others are all fielding weapons of a Bullpup design. It advantages being seen as a major improvement that outweighs any most of its disadvantages.

Azrial is correct, they are increasingly popular. Personally I prefer an SBR/SBS.

The main complaints are the trigger feel- due to the necessary linkage- and the feel of having your face so close to the action. It's just about out of the question for left-handed shooters.

The only way you would increase recoil is if the overall weight went down, and you could always add weight anyway.

I built this 7.62 rommy from parts I made.

If I found a 12 for a good price I would do it. Any Donations?

Do you think you could draw up how you managed the remote trigger, I would appreciate it alot?

I've been thinking of building my own bullpup S-223.

• 4 weeks later...
I actually own both a KVAR Bullpup and a pair of High Standard 10-B 12-gauge along with a few other Bullpups, so perhaps I can give you a little more of an actual hands on perspective then others....(snipped)

I started to read that and had to look to make sure that wasn't something I had said, your inventory matches mine :lolol: (except that my KVAR bullpupped Norinco has been returned to a regular setup)

This is my HS 10B, it's at the gunsmith's currently, having a Picatinny rail being put on in place of the rear sight block and a thread protector in place of the front sight.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f159/unn...ce/DSC00239.jpg

( I tried to do it as an Upload, but that just kept timing out )

• 1 month later...
It's back from the gunsmith's....days early :)

DSC00259.jpg

Extended magazine and a Picatinney rail. I might have to add a very short riser to the rail, I'll have to compare the sight height to the original to find out. Right now, the Eotech circle rides just above the front sight.

DSC00259.jpg

Extended magazine and a Picatinney rail. I might have to add a very short riser to the rail, I'll have to compare the sight height to the original to find out. Right now, the Eotech circle rides just above the front sight.

Do you know where I can buy a 10b?Thanks

DSC00259.jpg

I just saw this old thread, I had forgot about it. Your 10B looks great. The bullpup haters may not like them but it is hard to beat a one handed shotgun! :D

• 5 months later...
I have a M10B also and love it!I still have the working Kel-lite that mounts on the gun too.I wish I knew where to get the mag extensions and a carry handle.I definitely will use mine with slugs in bear country for backup in my next career.

I haven't kept up on this board, so my apologies for a necropost.

The extended magazine on mine was constructed from two regular length magazine tubes (still available, I believe). A slightly larger diameter collar is welded/soldered/magically-attached to the tube at the proper place and holds the original endcap in place (after it has had a hole machined through it for the magazine tube to pass through). A poor man's temporary solution could be to use a magazine clamp instead of the larger diameter collar, but I have not found any magazine clamps with the same barrel to magazine tube dimensions as High Standard used. :( The end of the mag tube on my 10B is just a machined aluminum plug, secured with two hex headed screws that match the screw holding on the front sight.

To be honest, the carry handle is somewhat of a waste; it's not spring loaded, so unless you remember to fold it down before firing it's sticking right up in your line of sight. Much better to just dispense with it together with the rear sight block, and just add a picatinney rail. If you do it properly, you might even be able to have the picatinney rail at the right height where a rail-mounted A2 rear sight witnesses with the front sight. If you go with one of the newest red-dots with the super long battery life you could even remove the front sight and replace it with a muzzle protector / flash suppressor / ported recoil reducing assembly.

• 4 months later...

I really wish someone made a 12ga bullpup with bottom eject for those of us that are leftys. I wasn't always left handed, but due to an injury to my right hand, I am now...... so I can't just learn to shoot right handed.

Oh well.

Corbin

I really wish someone made a 12ga bullpup with bottom eject for those of us that are leftys. I wasn't always left handed, but due to an injury to my right hand, I am now...... so I can't just learn to shoot right handed.

Oh well.

Corbin

The only way I can figure bottom eject it to turn the weapon on it's side, might be doable with linkage.

Hmm, It solves my mag clearance where I want to put my Pistol grip. Makes it L side load.

It might throw shells at your arm if your right handed and tuck instead of chicken wing.

This is what I have so far.

2s01ezq.jpg

The only snags are for rightys. Ether the mag will be a spot to rest your chin, a spot that smashes your chin, or a Adams Apple tenderizer.

Edited by KrisFox
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh well.

Corbin

The only way I can figure bottom eject it to turn the weapon on it's side, might be doable with linkage.

Hmm, It solves my mag clearance where I want to put my Pistol grip. Makes it L side load.

It might throw shells at your arm if your right handed and tuck instead of chicken wing.

This is what I have so far.

2s01ezq.jpg

The only snags are for rightys. Ether the mag will be a spot to rest your chin, a spot that smashes your chin, or a Adams Apple tenderizer.

interesting looking project, how are you going to operate the triggermech, is that a bowden cable coming out of the reciever?
  • 2 weeks later...