Teach me about Mercury Tubes

Oh yea.... regarding the stocks 'structural integrity': Dude, I'm NOT going to be butt-stroking anyone with the cott'n pick'n thing, so I really don't see what you're driving at by that remark?

:haha: .... :haha: .... :haha: ......... :rolleyes: [/size]

Gary,

Not talking about butt-stroking, dude........(oh....you mean with the stock !!!! :haha: )

The width of the stock is pretty narrow, and I'm not entirely sure of its composition........I'm seeing discussion of 7/8" x 4", and the tail of the stock is relatively short also, narrowing to the hinge.....

I'm just not sure that stock would be a good choice for a mercury tube, but again......itcho thang.........

6500rpm, what brand stock adapter is that? I'm waiting on a buffer tube from Brownells to assemble a conversion with an AR stock. I was going to try out a Blackjack adapter, but I'm a little weary of the plastic part. I have a stock mounted, recoil reducer from Beretta 391 laying around so I will try it out in the stock.

That adapter is from CAA (commercial dia)aluminum, VLTOR also makes a nice looking aluminum tube (US made-Mil Spec or Commercial dia?), but if I hadn't gone this far with it at the present time I'd give the ACE ARFX stock asm a good look. The Mercury tube should be here tomorrow and I'll post how well it fits, or if I have to open the I.D. of the stock tube any-it's right at 7/8" and approx 5 1/4" deep but the back of the hole is slightly concaved, not straight cut flat.

EDITED IN 1/23

C&H 7/8" dia buffer fits the I.D. of the CAA stock tube like a glove. No binding at all, but fit is so close you can hear air being pushed out as you sink it in the recess. Buffer sits fully inside tube void by 3/32" The buffer also has a threaded hole in the end to aid in removal.

I still need to pick up the CTR stock, but this one from my AR,tube and buffer weighs in at 1 LB 2oz. My Galil Stock with steel adapter block was 1 LB 7oz. The Galil stock carried most of it's weight in the adapter block near the pistol grip, I have to say the AR stock set up with the buffer feels better (almost feels a lot lighter) as the weight is shifted further back. It's going to be interesting to see how things pan out when shot.

post-1866-1201136973_thumb.jpg

post-1866-1201138698_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm
That adapter is from CAA (commercial dia)aluminum, VLTOR also makes a nice looking aluminum tube (US made-Mil Spec or Commercial dia?), but if I hadn't gone this far with it at the present time I'd give the ACE ARFX stock asm a good look. The Mercury tube should be here tomorrow and I'll post how well it fits, or if I have to open the I.D. of the stock tube any-it's right at 7/8" and approx 5 1/4" deep but the back of the hole is slightly concaved, not straight cut flat.

EDITED IN 1/23

C&H 7/8" dia buffer fits the I.D. of the CAA stock tube like a glove. No binding at all, but fit is so close you can hear air being pushed out as you sink it in the recess. Buffer sits fully inside tube void by 3/32" The buffer also has a threaded hole in the end to aid in removal.

I still need to pick up the CTR stock, but this one from my AR,tube and buffer weighs in at 1 LB 2oz. My Galil Stock with steel adapter block was 1 LB 7oz. The Galil stock carried most of it's weight in the adapter block near the pistol grip, I have to say the AR stock set up with the buffer feels better (almost feels a lot lighter) as the weight is shifted further back. It's going to be interesting to see how things pan out when shot.

:eek::eek::eek:

Wow...it's like prom night. Nice work!

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up. I ran 40 slugs through it today and I'd say anything gained by the mercury tube in the area of felt recoil, was rapidly lost by the lack of butt pad in my set up. The Galil stock and 1" pad actually felt better.With shot, it may not be so bad, but a fair amout of slugs is a bust. I'll try a grind to fit pad or something and try again, but this was no where near the improvement I expected although the gun does point better with the extra weight to the rear.

Wakal, where are you with the magic mid brake...that might be the ticket I've been looking for.

Edit-Jackass in me comes shining through. I was running multiple guns today and never changed the gas port setting. Bottom line is 40 slugs, 4 ports, wide open gas setting. I'll have to get my head out of my ass and try this again on the correct setting to give an honest opinion, but it sure as hell didn't take the thump out of that. :eek:

Edited by 6500rpm
  • 7 months later...

40 magnums on #2? :eek: YEOUTCH! :cryss:

Reminds me of the first day I owned my S-12. My dumbness was only overshadowed by my numbness...lol. The next day I was black and blue but still grinning ear to ear, while I shot a few more boxes on the correct setting!

Hey Mark, how did it work out for you? Did you get any better results on the correct gas setting? I'm planning on doing the same mod to my SKS with Tapco Fusion T-6 stock. It has the extra recoil pad that slips on and I'm sure it will feel a little better, but mainly I'm concerned with how much that reducer will effect an S-12 when mounted inside a K Var poly AK stock. As you know, about the only decent option other than a reducer, is the GL pad and I'd rather avoid that if possible due to size. The stock is already long enough at Nato length. I have one of the GL pads, and it works great, but I would like to get further reduction if possible so that it can be a last resort if someone really needs a softer recoil. And that little bitty steel butt plate can be a MOFO with slugs!

Hmm, anyone ever tried corn starch in water as a non-toxic substitute for mercury? Put enough in and it makes a plaster-like material. Put a little in, and it should just make it thicker and behave more like mercury. It's not nearly as heavy, but it should still help some.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
  • 5 months later...
Should be a honeymoon fit, but I'm going to try the 7/8"x5" C&H. If anyone is interested, I found the best price at this link-

http://www.mpcsports.com/index.asp?PageAct...mp;Category=245

Also, I'm good in terms of compliance parts but I wonder how ATF would look at the Magpul CTR stock (USA) mounted on the CAA (Israel)

adapter tube? The parts list calls out STOCK, but in this application the tube looks like a grey area.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing: I want to put this recoil tube 16 0z

Into the top tube of this [

I think there might be enough room, and if there isn't I wouldn't mind doing the mods. Add a serious sissy pad and I will have the shotgun I have always wanted.

Does anyone here have one that can give some measurements on the top 'tube'? I want approximate inner diameter, and length. The height of the butt would be nice too for finding recoil pads.

Edited by GunFun