WHATS IN YOUR "ZOMBIE" SURVIVAL KIT

One thing that you may want to add to your bug out kit in the car is a extra distributor with points and a coil. Zombies no but in the event the "Big Brother" may want to contain or stop enmasse vehicles to contain with a EM pulse. One shot and no amount of planning with your vehicle will matter your dead in the water so to speak. Points distributors will not be effected, but your will have to plan on having a older vehicle to put this on.

As was said before you have tops one hour and then you had best batten the hatches down and try and wait it out.

This is my government/zombie SHTF vehicle. :haha:

post-9816-1230596112_thumb.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that you may want to add to your bug out kit in the car is a extra distributor with points and a coil. Zombies no but in the event the "Big Brother" may want to contain or stop enmasse vehicles to contain with a EM pulse. One shot and no amount of planning with your vehicle will matter your dead in the water so to speak. Points distributors will not be effected, but your will have to plan on having a older vehicle to put this on.

As was said before you have tops one hour and then you had best batten the hatches down and try and wait it out.

This is my government/zombie SHTF vehicle. :haha:

The nice part will be that all the "big brother" electronics in the area will fry too. No more radios, night vision, or electronic weapon sights. All their vehicles will be stranded too, including any and all aircraft ( all are fly by wire now and rely too much on electronics to function). I doubt that "big brother" would try this as it would mean too much loss of C3 component of their forces. They want to maintain control, this would interfere with that plan. No electronics means no commo, which means operational chaos.

BTW, I am not sure but your spare parts may fry too. Induction is induction and unless you are in a really big Faraday cage your any circuitry you own will get fried. A buddy of mine used to do EMP hardening testing for the USAF at Kirkland AFB, he said there is no way to shield anything from a good pulse. It will all go the way of the dodo. EMP is serious shit.

This is my 90L bugout bag rucksack list

Water:Katadyn Pocket Filter,Silt Stopper,Charcoal inline filter,2 Camelbak 90oz antimicrobial bladders,Katadyn Micropure crystals

Fire:Cotton Saturated in petrolatum,esbit fuel,blast match,swedish fire steel,storm matches,zippo/flints/wicks/fluid,mini bic lighters

Shelter:MSS Sleeping Bag,Bivy Bag,Poncho with double thinsulate liners,silnylon tarp,paracord,stakes,patch kit and seam sealer

Food:Zataran's Black Beans and Rice,Tuna Pouches,Supplements,dried fruit,nuts,sunflower seeds,vegetable oil,flour,spices,salt,MetRx Bars,sugar,tea powder

Cooking:Esbit Stover,homemade circular windscreen,crusader mess tins,utensils,HD foil roasting bags,bamboo skewers,schotchbright pads

Power:nimh AA batteries,solar charger,mini crank radio/light that charges batteries,lithium DL123 and CR2030 batteries

Medical:AMK Guide 1st aid kit,Celox Trauma kit,Burn dressings,IV kit,OTC meds,RX meds,inflatable splints,bandages

Light:AA LED Mini Mag Light,Sidewinder Light,Insight Typhoon X2,Procyon Pistol Light,Mini LED fob lights,AA LED Light sticks

Tools:Shovel,Machete,Hatchet,flexible saw,bayonet/knife.wire cutter,pocket knife,leatherman charge xti

Repair:Sewing Kit,Glue and patch kit,Leather awl,Kevlar thread,bailing wire,spider wire,gorilla tape

Toiletries:Pine Tar Soap,Baking Soda,Dr Bonners,tooth brush,comb,razor,nail clippers,COMPRESSED TOILET PAPER,paktowels,nail brush,floss

Navigation:Lensatic Compass,Suunto compass watch,Etrex legend GPS,Delorme Atlases,Cascade Map Sleeves(fit opened atlases)

Communication:NSN mini pocket Shortwave reciever and spool antennae,GMRS handhelds,Yaesu 4 band handset

Misc:Bestglide pocket survival kit,Gill Net,Speed Hook,SAS Flick book,Miniature Bible,pics of my kids,mini agenda book with lot's of notes

Saiga M3 7.62x39 AK104 FS/GB with 20 magazines(10 on my gear and 10 in my pack to balance me out)

Glock 17 pistol with 1 17rd and 4 33rd magazines

Colt Woodsman 22lr with 5 magazines and 500rds in my pack

Russian Steiner knockoff binoculars,

I also sometimes carry a shoulder bag with a Scott M95 gas mask and 2 extra canisters and a full set of mop gear if the problem looks like bugs,nukes or poison and I also keep bactriostatic socks,underwear,t-shirts,a set of dragonfur fleece and a set of CVC nomex coveralls in my pack.

Edited by SOPMOD

if there are any sort of nuke throwing going on we are all screwed anyway for about the next 20000 years. EMP pulse without nukes seems unlikely. i think the best way to survive is already be somewhere safe.

I would be more worried about abreakdown of society due to fuel/depression/enemy takeover etc. If I did have a survival kit it would be a bike, a good sleeping bag, a tarp, a hatchet or axe and a shovel. if I was going to have a firearm I think I would get by with nothing but a saiga 12. It will shoot rabbits, deer or people depending on what's in it. i also don't need to worry as much about what ammo is in it. Everything else I am hoping I can sort out along the way. If our water supply has been poisoned we are pretty much fucked as well.

How would this effect magneto run vehicles? Can't have "The Man" messin with my chopper...

How would this effect magneto run vehicles? Can't have "The Man" messin with my chopper...

Should be fine.

if there are any sort of nuke throwing going on we are all screwed anyway for about the next 20000 years. EMP pulse without nukes seems unlikely. i think the best way to survive is already be somewhere safe.

I would be more worried about abreakdown of society due to fuel/depression/enemy takeover etc. If I did have a survival kit it would be a bike, a good sleeping bag, a tarp, a hatchet or axe and a shovel. if I was going to have a firearm I think I would get by with nothing but a saiga 12. It will shoot rabbits, deer or people depending on what's in it. i also don't need to worry as much about what ammo is in it. Everything else I am hoping I can sort out along the way. If our water supply has been poisoned we are pretty much fucked as well.

Actually a limited amount of very high altitude/low orbit nukes is survivable, only electronics would fry. Fallout would be very limited and all of the armed forces would be quite limited in their capability after. No more high tech toys, vehicles or communications. The fun part is you would not need many nukes, the area of effect from such a burst is very very wide. I think you could take out the whole continent with no more then 5 or so with very high altitude/suborbital bursts. No need for really precise guidance systems either, just need to make sure they go off simultaneously lest they be fratricidal. Difficult but doable by any of the major nuclear powers, but why would they want to. Nothing Ahmed is likely to be able to do in any event.

Actually a limited amount of very high altitude/low orbit nukes is survivable, only electronics would fry. Fallout would be very limited and all of the armed forces would be quite limited in their capability after. No more high tech toys, vehicles or communications. The fun part is you would not need many nukes, the area of effect from such a burst is very very wide. I think you could take out the whole continent with no more then 5 or so with very high altitude/suborbital bursts. No need for really precise guidance systems either, just need to make sure they go off simultaneously lest they be fratricidal. Difficult but doable by any of the major nuclear powers, but why would they want to. Nothing Ahmed is likely to be able to do in any event.

Not that zombies would get much out of EMP'ing the continent, but in case they did, they'd only need a single large-yield device at 120 miles to hit most of the continent.

EMP_areas.JPG

If you like non-zombie EMP survival fiction, there's a really good (free) book called Lights Out.

I think the Russian are going to EMP us back into the 1800s and extort and bully us politically rather than a full scale invasion(they will leave that to China and Latin American Communists) but regardless of whether you expect "Prague 1968" or "Red Dawn" or "The Manchurian Candidate" you will see this nation get it's technological eye blacked before your canned goods spoil,LOL

By the way:

For everyone who drives a 4.0 Jeep vehicle your car is a computerized EMP magnet but can easily be retrofitted with an older 4.2 Manifold,HEI distributor and Holley Offroad carburetor which can all be stored in an insulated chest then placed in a metal artillery canister with a grounding wire soldered to the side and a stake to push into the ground when an impending attack is on the horizon.

Not sure a grounding wire would be any help. The pulse intensity really does burn through most stuff. AFWL at Kirkland had more or less proven you can't harden against it in a practical way. BTW, I suggested 5 or more devices as that would probably optimize coverage and burst strength. It depends of how much shielding you want to burn through. If you want to stay mobile afterwards invest in a bike (not a motorbike), a horse or oxen. EMP is mighty bad juju. OH yeah, all those neat LED and tactical lights that are out there, they will fry too. Stock up on torches and candles.

I think the Russian are going to EMP us back into the 1800s and extort and bully us politically rather than a full scale invasion(they will leave that to China and Latin American Communists) but regardless of whether you expect "Prague 1968" or "Red Dawn" or "The Manchurian Candidate" you will see this nation get it's technological eye blacked before your canned goods spoil,LOL

Not that they aren't dreaming of doing that, but if the US went down, most of the world will be joining us in the 1800s. The dollar doesn't have a backing resource and isn't worth a lot these days, but pretty much every currency would fall if the dollar disappeared. Every country the US supports in a significant way would collapse. Israel's enemies would more than likely sieze the opportunity and get busy blotting it off the map. Oh and if you expect "Red Dawn", then the Chinese are going to be on our side :P

By the way:

For everyone who drives a 4.0 Jeep vehicle your car is a computerized EMP magnet but can easily be retrofitted with an older 4.2 Manifold,HEI distributor and Holley Offroad carburetor which can all be stored in an insulated chest then placed in a metal artillery canister with a grounding wire soldered to the side and a stake to push into the ground when an impending attack is on the horizon.

I'm curious if there's any way I would be able to rebuild my truck after an EMP - 2001 Chevy 4 cyl Vortec. Any ideas?

Also, a ready made Faraday Cage (likely to block EMP) can be easily built from an old microwave oven. Attach a heavy grounding strap from the metal mesh in the door to to the metal chassis, put your loot inside, and cover any openings with foil duct tape (the stuff they actually use on ducts) and attach to a GOOD ground (not your household electrical or plumbing ground, and never a gas line). Multiple deeply sunk copper plated rods, attached with thick copper strap as short as possible.

Faraday cages will block EMP (and other electrical charges). Way back in the long long ago, Faraday proved that electrical charges reside on the outside of a conductor only. In the event of an EMP, the charge travels along the outside of the microwave and dissipates into the ground. The charge never reaches the interior of the microwave. This is why you can see guys inside metal bird cages that are getting zapped by tesla coils.

Metal filing cabinets should also offer some protection. If they're on the lowest level of a building, they may be capacitatively coupled to ground.

Not sure a grounding wire would be any help. The pulse intensity really does burn through most stuff. AFWL at Kirkland had more or less proven you can't harden against it in a practical way. BTW, I suggested 5 or more devices as that would probably optimize coverage and burst strength. It depends of how much shielding you want to burn through. If you want to stay mobile afterwards invest in a bike (not a motorbike), a horse or oxen. EMP is mighty bad juju. OH yeah, all those neat LED and tactical lights that are out there, they will fry too. Stock up on torches and candles.

See my comments above about grounding and Faraday cages.

EMP mostly only affects nonlinear junctions. The most common application is transistors, so pretty much anything more complicated than a heater or a lamp will get the finger. LEDs will probably be boned too since they are p-n junctions (same as in a transistor). But non-LED flashlights should be just fine. Vacuum tubes are pretty much unaffected as well. The Soviets feared EMP attacks - during most of the cold war, Soviet planes still used tubes for their avionics.

Most motorcycles aren't fuel injected and should be easy to repair after an EMP. Diesel engines are the same way, same with any car old enough to not have a computer. If an EMP were to go off, you'd see a resurgence in vacuum tubes, diesels, motorcycles, and classic cars.

See my comments above about grounding and Faraday cages.

EMP mostly only affects nonlinear junctions. The most common application is transistors, so pretty much anything more complicated than a heater or a lamp will get the finger. LEDs will probably be boned too since they are p-n junctions (same as in a transistor). But non-LED flashlights should be just fine. Vacuum tubes are pretty much unaffected as well. The Soviets feared EMP attacks - during most of the cold war, Soviet planes still used tubes for their avionics.

Most motorcycles aren't fuel injected and should be easy to repair after an EMP. Diesel engines are the same way, same with any car old enough to not have a computer. If an EMP were to go off, you'd see a resurgence in vacuum tubes, diesels, motorcycles, and classic cars.

I understand Faraday cages, I just question their effectiveness. Can you shunt that much away to ground? I guess probably so as the school I went to in NM used them to safeguard the atmospheric physicists doing lightning research. Had a large mobile home turned into a Faraday cage and some poor bastard sat in it watching instruments. Then they shot up rockets trailing wires to attract lightning strikes. The instrumentation did not always survive but the human subject did. Guess it was different for the USAF planes as they have no clear way to shunt to ground. Most planes are lightning proof but not their avionics, at least not 100%. Wonder if the induced surge behaves differently then a direct strike, USAF planes survived lighting but they feared EMP still.. I was in a different program, did not follow it too closely. My problem with the basic car models is if the ignition coils will survive. I understand that EMP burn conductors out in such arrangements too.

BTW, electron tubes are also susceptible, just not as much as transistors. They can take more of jolt.

Edited by Saigaczech
I understand Faraday cages, I just question their effectiveness. Can you shunt that much away to ground? I guess probably so as the school I went to in NM used them to safeguard the atmospheric physicists doing lightning research. Had a large mobile home turned into a Faraday cage and some poor bastard sat in it watching instruments. Then they shot up rockets trailing wires to attract lightning strikes. The instrumentation did not always survive but the human subject did. Guess it was different for the USAF planes as they have no clear way to shunt to ground. Most planes are lightning proof but not their avionics, at least not 100%. Wonder if the induced surge behaves differently then a direct strike, USAF planes survived lighting but they feared EMP still.. I was in a different program, did not follow it too closely. My problem with the basic car models is if the ignition coils will survive. I understand that EMP burn conductors out in such arrangements too.

BTW, electron tubes are also susceptible, just not as much as transistors. They can take more of jolt.

I see no reason why there would be an 'upper limit' to the amount of energy that a Faraday cage chould shunt to ground, so long as the surface is unbroken. It's not like the charge stays on the outside of the conductor until you turn the knob up to 11 :smoke:

The situation with lightning and planes is a little different. Planes getting struck by lightning is a common occurrence, and most of the time the only way pilots are made aware of it is if somebody else sees it and tells them. There's no danger in lightning striking a plane as it's not grounded. Most of the time the bolt will continue from the plane to another cloud or occasionally to the ground (if the plane is flying low enough). Nearly all of the energy is contained in the bolt itself. The difference with EMP is that rather than being concentrated in a "bolt" it propagates more like a pulse wave, and the non-metal surfaces of the plane (glass) are transparent to it. Avionics getting the finger likely results from the strike being near the antenna or whatever sensor the device is connected to, finding the potential of the airframe through the device.

The only danger I understand for vacuum tubes (and electron tubes in general) would be an induced current on a filament or other wire vaporizing it. However, tubes are a lot easier to built or repair in a workshop than transistors. The only really difficult step in building a tube is creating the vacuum and sealing it, but in a worst-case scenario, even hand vacuum pumps (being squeezed as quickly as possible!) could create a partial vacuum and allow a circuit to work. Vacuum pump in one hand, J-38 in the other :ded: There's an amazing video of an older gentleman who makes his own tubes from start to finish here.

Unfortunately, nearly all the research results dealing with EMPs are highly guarded by various TLAs and they ain't tellin us.

Oh, and not everybody who sits in a Faraday cage is a poor bastard -- some people are insane bastards!

578199978_17e8133c7c_o.jpg

Edited by blammo

I see no reason why there would be an 'upper limit' to the amount of energy that a Faraday cage chould shunt to ground, so long as the surface is unbroken. It's not like the charge stays on the outside of the conductor until you turn the knob up to 11 :smoke:

The situation with lightning and planes is a little different. Planes getting struck by lightning is a common occurrence, and most of the time the only way pilots are made aware of it is if somebody else sees it and tells them. There's no danger in lightning striking a plane as it's not grounded. Most of the time the bolt will continue from the plane to another cloud or occasionally to the ground (if the plane is flying low enough). Nearly all of the energy is contained in the bolt itself. The difference with EMP is that rather than being concentrated in a "bolt" it propagates more like a pulse wave, and the non-metal surfaces of the plane (glass) are transparent to it. Avionics getting the finger likely results from the strike being near the antenna or whatever sensor the device is connected to, finding the potential of the airframe through the device.

The only danger I understand for vacuum tubes (and electron tubes in general) would be an induced current on a filament or other wire vaporizing it. However, tubes are a lot easier to built or repair in a workshop than transistors. The only really difficult step in building a tube is creating the vacuum and sealing it, but in a worst-case scenario, even hand vacuum pumps (being squeezed as quickly as possible!) could create a partial vacuum and allow a circuit to work. Vacuum pump in one hand, J-38 in the other :ded: There's an amazing video of an older gentleman who makes his own tubes from start to finish here.

Unfortunately, nearly all the research results dealing with EMPs are highly guarded by various TLAs and they ain't tellin us.

Oh, and not everybody who sits in a Faraday cage is a poor bastard -- some people are insane bastards!

578199978_17e8133c7c_o.jpg

Makes sense. Do not know enough about permeability of ground surfaces to dispute being able to disperse a pulse induced charge. I would make sure I used a real deep ground anchor though. I think one of the problems may be currents induced in the ground linkage traveling back along it and preventing a discharge of the cage. All of these fields will occur simultaneously on all surfaces (for all practical purposes, I know I am discussing an ideal case) so there will be current induced along the ground wire anchor as well as the Faraday cage. Normally the cage gets hit first and shunts directionally along the ground anchor, this may not happen, never tested it myself as I do not have access to EMP devices. My background in electronics and EM is three semesters of university level physics on the subject, I specialized in astrophysics while I majored in the field.. Ended up getting a biomed degree instead (got tired of the endless math). Many of my buddies though went on to work at White Sands, Sandia or Los Alamos. Got most of my dope through them, at least what they could talk about. Fun subject though.

And yeah, I seen those science exhibits too.

Makes sense. Do not know enough about permeability of ground surfaces to dispute being able to disperse a pulse induced charge. I would make sure I used a real deep ground anchor though. I think one of the problems may be currents induced in the ground linkage traveling back along it and preventing a discharge of the cage. All of these fields will occur simultaneously on all surfaces (for all practical purposes, I know I am discussing an ideal case) so there will be current induced along the ground wire anchor as well as the Faraday cage. Normally the cage gets hit first and shunts directionally along the ground anchor, this may not happen, never tested it myself as I do not have access to EMP devices. My background in electronics and EM is three semesters of university level physics on the subject, I specialized in astrophysics while I majored in the field.. Ended up getting a biomed degree instead (got tired of the endless math). Many of my buddies though went on to work at White Sands, Sandia or Los Alamos. Got most of my dope through them, at least what they could talk about. Fun subject though.

I'm not sure where the misconception that an EMP is some magical physics defying force came from. It's an electromagnetic wave, just like radio wave, just like light, just like X-rays. It travels at the speed of light. It cannot appear everywhere at once -- this is a fundamental violation of the laws of physics. It may *appear* to by virtue of moving so quickly. Assume for the sake of argument that an EM wave will travel through air at 1X per second (X is an arbitrary unit of distance here). Assume also that EM will travel through copper at 1.1X per second. Say that your Faraday cage is 10 feet in the air and the EMP goes off directly overhead. At the time the EM wave hits the cage, the ground is at a much lower energy potential, so the charge gets dissipated through the copper grounding strap before the EM wave hits the ground. If the EM wave DIDN'T travel through conductors faster than free space, it probably wouldn't fry electronics - if everything was raised to the same charge potential sumultaneously, only current-sensitive electronics would fry.

My background in electronics and EM is over 20 years of being an electronics nerd. I got my first soldering iron when I was 8. My formal education is in Computer Science and math but I'm an Extra class amateur radio operator and have been a ham since I was 12. There's never been a time in my life when I didn't have a garage or basement workshop :rolleyes:

I'm not sure where the misconception that an EMP is some magical physics defying force came from. It's an electromagnetic wave, just like radio wave, just like light, just like X-rays. It travels at the speed of light. It cannot appear everywhere at once -- this is a fundamental violation of the laws of physics. It may *appear* to by virtue of moving so quickly. Assume for the sake of argument that an EM wave will travel through air at 1X per second (X is an arbitrary unit of distance here). Assume also that EM will travel through copper at 1.1X per second. Say that your Faraday cage is 10 feet in the air and the EMP goes off directly overhead. At the time the EM wave hits the cage, the ground is at a much lower energy potential, so the charge gets dissipated through the copper grounding strap before the EM wave hits the ground. If the EM wave DIDN'T travel through conductors faster than free space, it probably wouldn't fry electronics - if everything was raised to the same charge potential sumultaneously, only current-sensitive electronics would fry.

My background in electronics and EM is over 20 years of being an electronics nerd. I got my first soldering iron when I was 8. My formal education is in Computer Science and math but I'm an Extra class amateur radio operator and have been a ham since I was 12. There's never been a time in my life when I didn't have a garage or basement workshop :rolleyes:

Did not think it was magical or physics defying, LOL. Just was not sure about the induction and propagation dynamics. Will defer to your judgment as you have more background. My main concern was the fact that different media conduct/propagate EM waves and currents are different rates (resistance factors and such). Also wire conductors heat up with resistance as current flows. Was not sure if heat could melt/destroy conductor before full charge went to ground. Had several heat guns go away due to solder melting from connection and that was only at 1500W (OK, it was over time but still). Anyway, thanks for clearing things up.

I'm curious if there's any way I would be able to rebuild my truck after an EMP - 2001 Chevy 4 cyl Vortec. Any ideas?

That's easy,a carburetor type manifold,spare HEI and modules in an internally insulated steel container and a Holley offroad carburetor and a manual racing valve body for your automatic transmission.

I have seen his done when installing late model GM 4.3 V6s in older cars several times.

Ooops,did you say 4 cylinder Vortec?What is that?

Edited by SOPMOD
Ooops,did you say 4 cylinder Vortec?What is that?

Vortec 2200, the 4 cyl 2.2L engine GM used in the S10 and Sonoma from 1998-2003. It's a fuel injected flex-fuel (runs on E85 or unleaded). Only 120HP but with the 5-speed I average 27-28 MPG :D

No retrofit for you,LOL

Seriously,did you know that all carbureted cars with hardened vavle seats are "flex fuel" up to and including the addition of a plenum,shroud and regulator to run propane,natural gas,hydrogen or even woodgas?

They have built EFI systems so proprietary that they have to advertise the concept of "flex-fuel" for what could be handled on a carbuerted vehicle by adjusting the timing and the carb with a screwdriver ;)

Something I suggest for people who have late model vehicles that they are either "married to" or extremely fond of but still want to have a post EMP option is to go find an ancient HOOPTY or Farm Truck that still has compression and runs,starts and drives well enough for it's age.For $500 you can get something old,carbureted and that will still run if we get EMPed at some point and it's a spare vehicle to loan to that friend or relative that you don't want to loan your primary vehicle to but can't turn away empty handed,:D

No retrofit for you,LOL

Heh, figures.What about the diesels or V8s from newer (~2005+) Silverados? Thinking about getting a 2500.

Seriously,did you know that all carbureted cars with hardened vavle seats are "flex fuel" up to and including the addition of a plenum,shroud and regulator to run propane,natural gas,hydrogen or even woodgas?

They have built EFI systems so proprietary that they have to advertise the concept of "flex-fuel" for what could be handled on a carbuerted vehicle by adjusting the timing and the carb with a screwdriver ;)

Didn't know that, but it's hardly surprising. "No, that old car of yours won't work with E85, here, buy this new one!"

Something I suggest for people who have late model vehicles that they are either "married to" or extremely fond of but still want to have a post EMP option is to go find an ancient HOOPTY or Farm Truck that still has compression and runs,starts and drives well enough for it's age.

I'm not married to my current truck, but it's hard to argue with paid off :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
What do you keep aside for the worst case situations? Weapons of course, but which ones and how many? Is everyone in your family using the same type? How much ammo do you keep in reserve? What else do you have besides weapons?

Do you have anything set aside, or will you just grab what you can from under your bed? How long can you self-maintain?

Will you stay put or flee? Sure it depends on what actually happens, but are you ready right now? What about your family?

I have lots of stuff in the vault but I bought a Saiga 308 just for a crisis rifle. It was cheap enough that now Im buying one for everyone in the household. With a few mags and a couple cases of ammo available, its becoming my first choice over much more expensive "Hi tech" rifles, when things go bump in the night.

Survival is more than just guns, what else do you have now? What would you like to add?

I'm assuming that PANW's is included for consideration? A Post Apocolyptic Nuclear Wasteland? My defense against this is the same as a zombie defense largely, so I'll make my list all inclusive.

Situation: life in urban environment has become suddenly unable to sustain it's amassed populace due to outside pressures (Zombies, Nuclear Attack, Foreign invasion, Meltdown of Western Civilization), and large-scale exodus from cities and urban environments ensue in midst of mass panic, violence, and confusion.

Game plan: round up any of my immediate family members who may be vulnerable and exfol to a safehouse (preferably a senior relative located in rural environment). Where plans will then develop from, or more statistically probable, I will have become a corpse.

Transportation: truck or motorcycle. In the event of extreme duress, it may not be safe to use roadways, therefore I think a motorcycle capable of offroad travel would be ideal to transport myself, one time, to a location and back. If I have to 'fetch' my siblings, or flee conflict, a motorcycle would be my preferred mode of transport. Otherwise, a truck. Either with enough gas to take me as far as 500 miles, one time.

Food: Really, if I had factual information that I possessed enough food and water to sustain myself until a crisis was over, I would wait it out. But if there was alot of uncertainty (like zombies or nukes), I would seek to relocate myself. An urban or suburban environment will certainly implode once the system of supply dries up. It cannot sustain the life that's there (or fuel their transport), and if the situation grows desperate enough, there's little people will not do to survive. Really, food and water though, if I had enough to last the rest of my life (however long I thought that would be no matter what I did) then no, I probably wouldn't relocate unless the pressure of violence became so great that I would extending my life expectancy.

Treasury: Concealed package containing BirthCertificate, Social Security Card, Passport, and any other government records issued to me. Also Drivers license, bank numbers, and credit cards (not like they'll probably be worth a shit), and cash (also not likely to be worth shit). No idea if base metals in coins could become an interim currency, I think it's unlikely, until another system replaces or resurrects the current paper system, barter will be the system of exchange. I hate to sound mad maxish, but bullets, fuel, and probably batteries will be a hot commodity. Probably alcohol and tobacco too come to think of it.

Duffle1:

-Toiletry:

--Toilet paper (2 rolls)

--Bar of Soap

--Tooth Brush + Paste

--x10 shaving razors

--Coffee mug (for shaving/brushing teeth)

-Clothing:

---x10 change of underwear

--x10 pair socks

--x5 Change of shirt and pants

---Work boots

-Daily:

--Folding tent

--Cooking kit of 1pan, 2 pots, 10" cooking surface, silverware for 1 person.

--Package of 20 lighters + 10 books matches

--Flint and steel

--4 packages of AA, AAA, and C or D (C or D for F.L.)

--Maglight or other heavy duty FL.

Duffle2

-Tools:

--Radio capable of transmitting/receiving emergency/police band

--Claw Hammer + 50 tenpenny nails (for boarding residences)

--Crowbar

--Linemans (pliers/wirecutters)

--x2 Channellocks (or vice grips)

--Multiheaded Screwdriver (or screwgun)

--Torch head + tank

--First Aid kit + spare bandages

Vehicle:

--x5 road flares (to be kept with vehicle)

--Vehicle repair tools (to be kept with vehicle)

--Tire Repair tools (to be kept with vehicle)

Protection:

-Worn:

--Safety Clothing (Carhartt or similar industrial clothing) + Hiking Boots

--Class III Body armor, preferably with plate reinforcing. (quality!)

--Reinforced Ballistic Helmet with Kevlar cover (quality!)

--Assisted Breathing System (in case of Chemical/Biological toxin or just plain SMOKE) aka; gas mask (quality!)

Armament:

-AR-15 [.223]

--(x4 30 rnd. mags, x2 20 rnd. mags, x1000 extra rounds)

-M1A match [.308] (scope+bipod)

--(x2 20 round mags, x200 extra rounds)

-Saiga-12 [12ga] (pistolgrip, front grip, flashlight)

--(x4 10 round mag, x1 20 rnd. drum, x400 extra shells)

---(x200 shells = x200 buck + x150 slug + x20 bird-bomb + x20 smoke + x10 flare)

-FN-HP pistol [9mm] (wish I owned something heavier for sidearm)

--(x2 15 rnd mags, x1 30 round mag, x300 extra rounds)

-1903 colt [.32cal] (backup)

--(x2 8 rnd. mags, x200 extra shells)

-Ruger mark I [.22] (backups backup)

--(x2 10 rnd. mags, x500 extra shells)

No more guns, ammunition, or armor than I can physically haul on my person (note I do not claim 'comfortably carry'). Other amounts of gear are dependent on mode of transportation available. If I'm rounded up by the government after some catastrophe, it won't matter what I have, they'll take it all (like the people who were disarmed during and shortly after hurricane Katrina). If I have to transport this amount on motorcycle, I will look like one ridiculously stuffed rider. I make some allowances in the event I am able to use or live out of my car or truck for a short period, but when the fuel dries up, I better be where I'm gonna be. If I think I can get there in a truck, I'm taking every weapon, every shell, every can of food or bottle of fluid, every tool, every valuable or barterable I can fit in one load, and make sure I'm capable of deterring theft or preventing my own murder.

(everything I posted under armament I already possess, with the exception of the saiga-12, I do not yet own a drum, or have it converted, parts arrive from shipping wednesday, and I have do not own any ballistic armor, that is a wish list, and in a PANW or zombie attack, I would really wish I had it!)

I would go to this guy's or gal's house, and make friends. Though I would bring my Ak-47, XD9mm and plenty of ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

A truck drivers $.02, check out any abandoned semi-trailers you see along the way, 42,000 lbs. of Campbell's thick'n chunky would keep your ribs from showing for a long time, also, just about everything you use or need is at one point shipped by truck, those trailers could be like 53 ft. treasure chest's.

Edited by mav

Another thing, I dont think anyone has mentioned cleaning supplies, a press, dies, primers, and the like would be nice also, for when you settled down. And you know, you can load metallic cartridges with black powder, and its easy to make, of course, homemade black powder is very dirty, so have plenty of solvent, and in a pinch, urine is a very good solvent, but also quiet corrosive, so have some oil with you. :haha:

• 1 month later...

My plan involves

-500 rounds of ammo for my Mosin 91/30

- Glock26 for the wife to handle, i have 100 rounds of regular cheapies, and 100 hollow points

- S12 and a case of Remington Slugs

- Browning A-5 12ga

- 22 Rifle, for headshots

Gas Masks from Finland(purchased from CenterfireSystems) great price, and in perfect condition.

Enough booze to last me here for at least 3 months

Food supply is pretty good, but in all honesty my plan involves one of two things. Holding out as long as we can here to get setup then

1. Driving up to Maine, we have a Cabin on the canadian border sitting on a lake with water safe enough to drink.

2. The other plan is to go over to Ft Delaware aka Pea Patch Island off of Delaware City. Only accessible by boat, fortified, and haunted. This is the preferred plan of all of my friends, fortified and heavily armed should be a good way to go.

When shit pops off, i plan to visit the WallyWorld up the street to make a few ammo purchases