.17cal or saiga 223 for woodchucks

17hmr all day, every day. I recommend Savage 9317 bull-barrel. I paid a little over $300 for stainless and laminate.

It can use a scope better than 12x, and prints 1" at 100yds easily. Think headshots.

Like my brother said while spotting for my sight-in, "you can forget the doubles"

OTOH, I'm not saying a well-scoped .223 Saiga can't pop critters.

does anyone have an idea on what rifle would be more accurate for woodchucks, a savage .17cal, or a saiga 223? for a max distance of say 150 yards.......please reply..thanks again..

The 17hmr is fun and accurate as hell, but even at 100 yards, the wind moves it around a lot because the bullet is so light. In my experience, the more accurate would be the .223. The more fun would be the .17hmr.

EDIT: I don't have one of those 17hmr scopes, so those might help with bullet drop at longer distances. I want to try one, but it's not a high priority.

Edited by ck43001
does anyone have an idea on what rifle would be more accurate for woodchucks, a savage .17cal, or a saiga 223? for a max distance of say 150 yards.......please reply..thanks again..

Even if you want to go .223, I would recommend a Savage, if accuracy is your #1 criterion. I've got a Model 10 in .223, that can print one-hole groups with Federal American Eagle 50 gr HPs. How sweet is that?

;>)

Now, if you're being attacked by hordes of rabid woodchuck zombies, I might go with a Saiga...

;>)