Modifying Galil style handguard for S12?

Taking the Galil hand guard of S308 and it's going on my S12. I have seen instructions before, but can't find em. I've got the site rail on my 12 and it looks ridiculous with out the top on. I know you have to cut some of the sides down and epoxy (or something?), the cut off sides go on the top inside to fill in the gap. Anyone have a DIY'er tutorial for me; best to cut (dremel and cut off wheel, hacksaw, butter knife), filing, etc.

Here's what I did.

Took a hacksaw and cut the top off like Cobra's is, and sanded everything smooth (takes awhile, make sure you cut straight).

Took the pieces I cut off, sanded them smooth, then test fit them inside the grip (cut sides facing down or up, depends on your style)

I used Gorilla Glue to attach the pieces, then clamped them on overnight till the glue set.

Sanded the glue down to the plastic, I still have to decide what I'm going to use to paint over it, maybe some model airplane paint or something.

Ahhh....the benefits of being on this forum... :smoke:

This was gonna be my own custom mod job I was offering people who sent them to me, but if you have the tools and inclination, then here ya go....

Anyone who wants me to mod theirs, just let me know please. Send me a PM.

I first thought of this when I saw pics of the top view of some of these HGs that had been simply cut down and left that way. They looked worse to me than the wide, flat, fugly look and feel of the original unaltered version. You could almost droip a couple of hot dogs down in there and have lunch after a range session... :lolol:

post-1293-1200504399_thumb.jpg post-1293-1200504424.jpg

At first I was actually doing one like this to make it much more comfy on the hands and more of a rounded look on top.

I was planning to install it, then go back and fill in the open crack with epoxy or melt some good ol Russian Saiga plastic in there, then sand to finish off.

post-1293-1200502671_thumb.jpg post-1293-1200502681_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1200502817_thumb.jpg post-1293-1200502826_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1200502844_thumb.jpg

After all the handling and folding back and forth though, this one eventually broke free on one side before I got around to reinforcing the inside with bent metal pcs., like I had planned.

So I ditched that idea for now and decided to cut both sides off and epoxy them back on inside, to greatly decrease the wide open top and make it so I could mount my steel upper HG in there with no big space on either side.

Notice also, how I swapped sides and reversed the direction of the cutoff pcs. I thought that looked better to but the square ends up against the front and let the tapered ends point to the rear.

Then just belt sanded the top and touched up the edges with some sandpaper

post-1293-1200503468_thumb.jpg post-1293-1200503553_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1200503619_thumb.jpg

Also added a rail to this one...

post-1293-1200503737_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1200503977_thumb.jpg

:smoke:

Edited by Cobra 76 two
Cobra what did you cut with? My dremelfu is fairly good, on low speed will it burr much?

You could use a hacksaw, or preferably a bandsaw. My bandsaw motor is down right now so I just scored it deep a few times with a razor knife (boxcutter) and broke it over, sort of like cutting sheetrock but a lot harder...

Go slow and use a steel straight edge (clamped in place) if you do this.

Cobra76two -- Perhaps you could answer my following question (and please forgive me 1liter, it is not my intent to hi-jack your thread):

Is it possible to mount a micro galil forend handguard onto a Saiga-12 shotgun, specifically a S-12 that has had it's gas cylinder shortened by say 2 1/2 inches? Providing of course some sort of metal bracket was welded onto each side of the shortened gas system so that the micro handguard could be screwed onto it?

Comprende Amigo?

My specific concern is that the micro galil handguard is not wide enough to accommodate the diameter of a S-12 main barrel.

~Gary

Cobra76two -- Perhaps you could answer my following question (and please forgive me 1liter, it is not my intent to hi-jack your thread):

Is it possible to mount a micro galil forend handguard onto a Saiga-12 shotgun, specifically a S-12 that has had it's gas cylinder shortened by say 2 1/2 inches? Providing of course some sort of metal bracket was welded onto each side of the shortened gas system so that the micro handguard could be screwed onto it?

Comprende Amigo?

My specific concern is that the micro galil handguard is not wide enough to accommodate the diameter of a S-12 main barrel.

~Gary

Sure Gary...ANYTHING is possible. However, I say that having never seen a micro Galil HG up close...You probably should email Tony about that. Hasn't he used those on some of his super shorties already?

Comprende Amigo?

~Gary

Sure Gary...ANYTHING is possible. However, I say that having never seen a micro Galil HG up close...You probably should email Tony about that. Hasn't he used those on some of his super shorties already?

If Tony has previously used a micro galil forend handguard on one of his Saiga SBS.... I for one have never seen it.