New Saiga Owner

Hi all, I just recently purchased a saiga 7.62x39 from classic arms. So far it has been great, It eats every ammo i feed it. I've seen some awesome converted rifles on here and i plan to do a few things to mine also.

The first thing i noticed when i shot the rifle is the trigger very poor imo. It has a ton of travel and feels rough. I have a rom ak that i got when i bought the saiga. The Romanian came with a tapco g2 trigger already installed, and it is far better than the one in the saiga. I've seen several people on here who have the same trigger. Will the trigger feel similar to that of my ak once i replace the trigger group with the tapco group.

The next thing i want to do is put a scope on the saiga. What is a good solid rail to mount a scope on.

Thanks in advance for any help. I love the saiga i got and am debating on getting a 308 version for next years deer season, if i do that i will probably fully convert the 7.62x39, but i'm just gonna do things slowly starting with the trigger.

Hi all, I just recently purchased a saiga 7.62x39 from classic arms. So far it has been great, It eats every ammo i feed it. I've seen some awesome converted rifles on here and i plan to do a few things to mine also.

The first thing i noticed when i shot the rifle is the trigger very poor imo. It has a ton of travel and feels rough. I have a rom ak that i got when i bought the saiga. The Romanian came with a tapco g2 trigger already installed, and it is far better than the one in the saiga. I've seen several people on here who have the same trigger. Will the trigger feel similar to that of my ak once i replace the trigger group with the tapco group.

The next thing i want to do is put a scope on the saiga. What is a good solid rail to mount a scope on.

Thanks in advance for any help. I love the saiga i got and am debating on getting a 308 version for next years deer season, if i do that i will probably fully convert the 7.62x39, but i'm just gonna do things slowly starting with the trigger.

yes when you put the new trigger in it will be much much better and for the moung i like the side rail mount or the beyrl style mount all up to you

The G2 compared to the factory trigger is like night & day.

i will probably fully convert the 7.62x39, but i'm just gonna do things slowly starting with the trigger.

The G2 won't work in an unconverted Saiga. Dinzag has one that will work in an unconverted, http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcgnpg.html , but it's kinda pricey, especially if you're gonna convert it later anyway and will have to get a regular G2.

i will probably fully convert the 7.62x39, but i'm just gonna do things slowly starting with the trigger.

The G2 won't work in an unconverted Saiga. Dinzag has one that will work in an unconverted, http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcgnpg.html , but it's kinda pricey, especially if you're gonna convert it later anyway and will have to get a regular G2.

Thanks for the heads up on the trigger. I was completely in the dark on that one. I guess i may try converting it, but I've never done anything like that before gun wise. I've been watching the guys video on you tube and it seems pretty simple. I just hate to screw up something that's working. I read that some of the saiga's already have the hole cut for the trigger to be moved forward. If i knew mine alreay had the hole cut i would probably go ahead and do the conversion, but if i have to cut out the trigger hole i'll probably pass.. Is there anyway to tell other than to tare the gun apart.???

Thanks for the heads up on the trigger. I was completely in the dark on that one. I guess i may try converting it, but I've never done anything like that before gun wise. I've been watching the guys video on you tube and it seems pretty simple. I just hate to screw up something that's working. I read that some of the saiga's already have the hole cut for the trigger to be moved forward. If i knew mine alreay had the hole cut i would probably go ahead and do the conversion, but if i have to cut out the trigger hole i'll probably pass.. Is there anyway to tell other than to tare the gun apart.???

Most likely it has it. But to make sure, just strip it down as if you were gonna clean it, then look inside the receiver. Look where the trigger plate is now, you should see the new trigger hole right there. I don't have a pic, but you get the idea. As far as the conversion, go for it. Once you do it, you will have one of those "That was easier than I thought it was gonna be" moments, I know I did after I did mine.

Most likely it has it. But to make sure, just strip it down as if you were gonna clean it, then look inside the receiver. Look where the trigger plate is now, you should see the new trigger hole right there. I don't have a pic, but you get the idea. As far as the conversion, go for it. Once you do it, you will have one of those "That was easier than I thought it was gonna be" moments, I know I did after I did mine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

+1----exactly what to do. Your gun more than likely has the hole already there. Everything is hidded by the plate. There is a good conversion deal going on here: (link)

Edited by jbremount

The current batch of 7.62x39's has been coming with all the holes precut. I've attached the diagram from the conversion -- from the inside of the receiver you should be able to see the outline of these holes in the bottom of the receiver. They are just covered up with the trigger plate on the sporter model. Right now, the trigger is going through the hole that will become the pistol grip -- so what you are looking for is the larger hole with the extra cut out for the trigger. If you see that (which you should) then you are good to go.

The conversion is just as easy as the video shows. It's caveman simple - and it gets easier every time. Read the threads around here, watch the video and you'll be able to do it no problem,

Jim

post-6519-1200921548_thumb.jpg

I just got and converted mine last week, and it came with all the holes pre-cut. I was hesistant at first but it was pretty easy and quite fun. All I used was a corded drill and a couple different bits, a dremel for grinding rivets and cutting the trigger guard, a couple of punches, a rubber mallet, and a TV dinner tray stand to do it all on. Took me about 2 hours.

Here's what I like on the scope Mount:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/aksiramoqude.html

BTW, that pic is like reversed, the actual mount has all the rails moved forward, not to the rear like shown - it's exactly as shown, but with everything starting at the front of the detach part...if that makes any sense...(I really wanted it to be the way pictured - I always seem to have my scope mounted on the last possible rail, i wanted some room...but it's ok.

$30 - just add the scope you want......I like one w/ P4, or Mil Dot recticle....

Here's what I got...only $40 .....

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/tasp3ulcop4r.html

Enjoy...big...

Edited by BullShark012

Thanks for the links shark. I think i may copy your setup if you don't mind. What kind of reticle does the scope have??? Is it typical like a hunting reticle or is it a dot setup??? Also is the mount sturdy?? I probably wont ever take it off once it's mounted, so the quick remove thing isn't as important as the mount being solid.

I checked for the trigger hole and mine has it so i guess conversion it is. I also analyzed my romanian with the tapco g2 next to my saiga and i think i have a much better understanding of how the internals should looks once the conversion is done. The stock saiga has some odd mechanisims to perform a easy task of releasing the hammer, apparently all that is where the long trigger pull comes in.

I took my saiga and a few other toys out shooting Monday. I started off at 25 yards and the saiga is dead on with the iron sights. I then pulled it out to 50yards and every shot i made was high. I was shooting at a 8x9" paper target and every one of my shots were grouping at the very top of the target and a bunch went over??? I had it on the 100m mark do i need to adjust something differently??? I was hitting the target better with my S&W 357 mag.

Thanks for the links shark. I think i may copy your setup if you don't mind. What kind of reticle does the scope have??? Is it typical like a hunting reticle or is it a dot setup??? Also is the mount sturdy?? I probably wont ever take it off once it's mounted, so the quick remove thing isn't as important as the mount being solid. <br />.......<br /><br />I took my saiga and a few other toys out shooting Monday. I started off at 25 yards and the saiga is dead on with the iron sights. I then pulled it out to 50yards and every shot i made was high. I was shooting at a 8x9" paper target and every one of my shots were grouping at the very top of the target and a bunch went over??? I had it on the 100m mark do i need to adjust something differently??? I was hitting the target better with my S&W 357 mag.
&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;Yeah Big go ahead, I think you'll like it! I'd go for the QD model, (i had the 3 screw one , but stripped out the middle set screw, plus the attach base was shorter on the QD(= lighter). It's Real solid...just have to get the adj, screw just right (don't overtighten, but I used a screw drriver (not fingers, like they said on inst. (too loose)). As far as your shooting....that's how I started at 25 yds. w/ irons set a 100yd. mrk. With the trajectory of the 7.62x39 (~123 grain), s/b zero at about 20yds. should Rise after that to about +3&quot; at 100 yds., then back down to zero at about 185 yds. After that it really starts to fall off big time. Do You have 16&quot; or 21&quot; bbl? Strange, If your dead on at 25, I'd expect you to be maybe 1.5&quot; high at 50. As for that scope - has the P4 Rangefinding recticle ( I like it) . Here is a link to a pic and explanation of it ( not the same scope, but same recticle:<br /><br /><a href="http://sksparts.com/NCSTARSC430BPAGE.htm" target="_blank">http://sksparts.com/NCSTARSC430BPAGE.htm</a>

??? What's up w/ the Editing System Here today? keeps putting in all these unwanted characters (should say +3", and 1.5", etc. ????

Edited by BullShark012

Most people seem to hate the factory trigger. I treated my fire control group with Sentry Solutions Smooth-Kote and BP 2000 Sentry Solutions, and it works fine. It feels like quite a decent 2-stage trigger. I also have a converted Saiga with the G2 fire control group, and I like it too. I just bring this up as another potential option that might be right for some.

Edited by hogdog