Pressing off a Saiga-12 Gas Block

This gas block is kicking my ass. When you guys use the big hammer method, where exactly are you hitting it? Between the barrel and the gas tube?

Yes between the barrel and the gas tube alternating each side.

I personally would skip the heat because the gas block and barrel are fairly thin thus not that much of a press.

Also its hard to cool and heat when the parts are assembled, thus the active heating and cooling at the same time.

if supported well...cement floor...3/4 plywood spacer...proper punch...3-5 pound hand sledge hammer..all required pins removed....and proper technic it will come of. Also you can lightly sand the barrel surface after you removed GB and use a little oil when reinstalling.

Why don't you run down your procedure for us to review?

Also what part of the country do you live?

If atlanta I would help.

You have the pins removed I assume?

Have you used any kind of oil? I finally had a chance to work on mine today and it slid right off when I used the press in conjuction with some lube. It didn't take hardly any pressure at all to remove it - far, far less than removing an AK barrel. I think it would have come off with a hammer and brass punch with little difficulty (though I would expect every gas block out there to be different.)

If I was to attempt the hammer method I think I would punch everywhere I could get a good hold. I imagine the lip under the barrel would be about the best spot. Best advice I can give you is to use lots of lube - a little heat - and go slowly. I've broken too many things by getting frustrated.

Edited by skiboatsp

Well, I finally got the frakker off! That was a bitch!

I've been fighting the flu for a couple of days now, with this project running through my head. It's in every dream I have in my flu/flu drug induced state. Came up with a few idea I never got around to trying, but I finally went with something similar to what BS1066 did on his post Pressing barrel .

Mine was a bit simpler due to necessity. I'd planned to use a metal saw at work to build the yoke, but someone busted the blade. I wasn't sure how I was going to build the block he put under the gas block until I found a bin of steel keyways at the local Ace Hardware. I grabbed one I thought would be the right size and the 5mm bolt and off I went.

Not having a mill, I used a hacksaw and a file to create the channel in the keyway. Next came the hole for the 5mm bolt. Only problem was I'd bought too short a keyway, so the hole he used for a drill bit to take pressure off that 5mm bolt was out. Instead of the yoke, I used an aluminum plate up against the front of the receiver. I used the same size bolts and adapter in the same way.

I taped everything up where I might get tool to gun contact, then went to work. After some serious torque nothing moved. I finally ended up heating up the gas block while it was under torque and it moved a bit. Eventually I heard a "pop" akin to pressing the barrel out of a normal AK. A couple of more pops and I could get the gas tube out!

Next step will be to decide if I want to cut this barrel down, and if so, I'll have to press the block off further and drill the proper hole, if I can find a bit that small!

Anyway, thanks for the advice on this!

Edited by Davehal9000
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently gave advice about removing gas block.

It was sound advice and I have removed 4 blocks with no problem using this method

Just removed one tonight that the 5 pound hand sledge won't budge :killer:

I had to fixture up in the press and the gauge read 1200 lbs. before it broke loose!! :rolleyes:

I must comment the guys out there with few tools who say I can do this, and thru determination they prevail!! :super:

And wanted to humble myself because everyone has problems now and then.

This forum is a great resorce for us all!! :super:

Edited by skiboatsp

This is WECSOC as hell, but it works great when your in a bind. After a good soaking in penetrating oil, I've used a dulled up air chisel against a brass or aluminum buffer peice to press blocks off. It works stupid well even if it is hoosier in nature. Control is a must unless you want dinged up parts. Also, when you go to press stuff back on I like to lightly polish the surface w/ 1250 and use anti-seize and just break the edge on the pin slots in the barrel to prevent gauling on the way back on. Just like on AK builds, throwing the barrel in the freezer for a few hours before pressing the block back on works wonders. Sounds like your block is a bitch, but sometimes it just goes that way.....all things can be overcome.

• 3 years later...

I am having trouble getting my gas block off. I removed the two pins, the bottom pin came out easy while the top pin, the one retaining the plunger,

bent one punch! Not a harbor freight but a snap on.I have soaked it in oil and tried banging it with a brass drift and five pound deadblow hammer. no luv! Put it on a press with a piece of steel between the barrel and tube and a piece of brass over the barrel. Never moved the block but bent the lip of my barrel! I took off the thread protector and was getting in a hurry, that's when i usually f-up! I hadn't put that much pressure on it (no pressure guage) but i thought it was the brass bending being a softer piece. Stopped pressing, removed and filed off the bent part of the barrel. I tried heating the block also at every step. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well just to update. I decided to go the air hammer route. Went to the tool box, pulled out my long stroke air hammer got a chisel bit and ground the end flush as not to cut into the GB. Put the thread protector on and placed the barrel on a 2x4 on the floor. while bending over the gun i placed the chisel bit on the GB gave it a few good hits and finally it gave a little! So that was it a few more hits and it was off!

Edited by blkrifleman