• 2 weeks later...
Anyone think about sending it off to a place like CCR Refinishing?

I'm thinking about just sucking it up and paying for a refinish like CCR or Robar. If I pay big bucks, I want a self-lubricating finish on all the internals though. I emailed CCR and asked about whether Cera-Hide was thin enough to be applied to internals like Robar's NP3 and I never got a response back.

I would think NP3 on the bolt, carrier, and the receiver rails would be beneficial since it's self-lubricating. maybe I'll do up a Marine Magnum style Saiga with a satin Nickel finish inside and out

• 2 weeks later...
I initially used rustoleum 1200 degree paint and it SUCKED. It was like a smeary black shoe polish that always bled.

I thought that this was the effect that you were looking for! :rolleyes:

If you guys want a good finish and want to send it to a finisher, try E-TAC, he is using

cerakote, give the man a Pm or call that stuff is good, I am in transition from duracoat

to cerakote my self.

Edited by vjor

I didn't know that rustoleum made a "bakeable' paint. I used the Baking Lacquer from Brownells on my barrel extension for my V53 pistol to bring it out to 16.5", legal length to add a stock. I just followed directions, baked it in the wifes oven, and PLEASE don't do it before dinner as I did, and all was fine. But also remember to spray this stuff OUTSIDE, that is unless you are a huffer, because even while baking, it gives off one heck off a smell,not to mention makes dinner taste like crap, and wife VERY VERY pissed off, so the following Friday night cost me 2 South African lobster tails and steak from livelob.com.

I use Dupli color ceramic 500 degree semi gloss black engine paint for touch up. It dries fast and is a great match for the original color

Got some pics of the underside where you painted? I'm still on the fence on what to use to refinish the underside of mine.

whats the difference between cera and dura?

Sorry bro I don't come here often, cerakote is harder than duracote, like ceramic paint

and for one you can use one of the cerakotes to air dry but takes time but when is

fully cure is hard as hell, my problem is that after continuous use on brakes

the duracote gets blasted and no protection to the brake from erosion

that's why I am looking into cerakote for a full finish, but damn I have a shit load of

duracote that I have to finish before I jump into something else, I was even trowing

some of the hardener away, it dry on me, that's something I hate about duracote

is if you don't use the hardener it dries up after open and some times dries up

even if you dont open it. One good thing about duracote is the colors to choose from

is the largest of all finishes I have seen. Plus there templates are the best around

but not cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used Brownell's Alumahide II with great results. It holds up much better than the Rustoleum, Duplicolor & Krylon paint finishes . It is an epoxy spray that when applied correctly and fully cures, is pretty damn durable (chemical resistant also) and looks really good. I've used it on Aluminium, steel, woods & plastics with wonderful results.

* Completely degrease and clean piece to be finished (if metal)

* Rough the surface with a green Scotchbrite scrubbing pad.

* Blow off dust with air compressor.

* Clean and/or soak completey with denatured alcohol and let airdry.

* Shake can of Alumihide II for about 3 to 5 minutes.

* Spray 2 to 3 light coats 15 minutes apart.

* Let hang & airdry in a warm, dry area for 7 days to fully cure.

YOU WILL BE SATISFIED WITH THE RESULTS IF YOU FOLLOW MY ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS ! JUST BE PATIENT. :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...
lammy... how did the rustoleom work for you? i painted a few mags and while it looks nice.. it "bleeds" it's got this powdery residue that just keeps coming off.

i painted then baked. (300 degrees. an hour)

My reply is a bit late but what I do on certain builds is spray the Rustoleum textured, bake it and when it's cold I'll rub the finish with a cotton rag and oil. The finish will absorb a lot of oil. I never bake in the house, as I have a toaster oven in the shop just for this reason. It works well and holds better than a lot of foreign mil finishes. I use the textured stuff because it's the closest thing I have found to original bulgarian paint. There are a few gun paints out there and some work good, some suck. Usually I will mask off the barrel and paint just the receiver, trunnion, and rivets and it matches the rest of the parts... It's that close! Just used it on a krink kit, receiver only and you can't tell. Reports from other builders is that it stands up to some of the nastier gun cleaners out there too. The 300 for and hour should be good, just make sure your prep is good too. The only thing I can't say is how well it would stand up to sustained fire on the barrel. I know bulgarian paint doesn't like it.

I learned about this from another forum, and I have not really heard bad things about it. (From people that used the above method)

Edited by lammy

i too use alumahyde II on my projects.. after it cures it is about bullet proof.. on exteriors only . too thick for inside parts.already made that mistake ,, use something else in a teflon molly . for inside receivers. alumahyde 2 is easy rattle cans, multi colors available and reasonable price. here's a small pic of s 308 with some of the paint on it.. p.s. no baking! but the longer it sits the harder it cures.. touchable in a few hours .. add colors no less thaan 24 hours.. best results i have had is let it sit 3 to 4 weeks sounds long but for air cure epoxy that is solvent resisstant its not..

post-709-1208204927.jpg

Edited by lsgs
  • 4 months later...
Got some pics of the underside where you painted? I'm still on the fence on what to use to refinish the underside of mine.

I did the underside of mine a couple weeks ago with Krylon BBQ paint that works well so far. Looks good, no primer required.

Degreased the lower side before doing anything. Then scuffed the very bottom with a scotch brite pad, then one more final degrease pass. I fully taped off (use the Delicate Surfaces 90 day release tape) the mag release, then the sides all along the rear continuing up past the mag well. A sheet of aluminum foil makes quick work of masking off the barrel.

For me the trick was to not create a sharply defined paint edge, and to stand back making making multiple light coats so as not to get a too smooth/thick wet finish. An easy way to hide the transition is to mask a "tape fence" around the bottom. I faded the paint at the mag well area. when I was satisfied with the complete/minimal coverage, I then pulled off the masking tape and set it in front of a 500 watt halogen flood light for about 45min to bake it in.

Where I screwed up was using standard masking tape which lifted the factory finish in places when I removed it. So then I had to hit both sides with a couple light coats to cover. Sure, its no moly resin, and I may go there someday, but for now its a good looking and easy to maintain DIY finish.

For spot touchups I spray some in a cap and use a brush, or make a simple painting stencil out of some thin cardboard like the BB&B 20% coupons that come in the mail. Cut an opening in the shape of the area you want to touch up and hold it off 1/4" with one hand while spraying at/through the opening with the other hand.

post-7224-1219447242_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thor's Hammer
What are you guys using to degrease with? I want to try my first paint job not sure what to go buy.

I use acetone but make sure to use rubber or latex gloves. It is not supposed to be good for you and will soak through your skin. The last time I got lazy and used it without gloves, i got a pretty good headache.