FBMG Mag - Follower Sticking

Was your mag left out in the cold?I left my rifle loaded in the car and it was pretty cold outside and the mag that was in the rifle seemed sluggish when I went to chamber a round so I may break it down and see if it isn't just a little tight when the cold shrinks/stiffens everything up but otherwise mine have been 100% if the ammo was up to snuff.

As an aside,these rifles were meant to function with 62,000psi 308 Winchester and I am finding the wimpier India and Spain 7.62NATO stuff is occasionally(2 in 200rds)giving me failures to eject even with the factory magazine so if your follower is sluggish wimpy ammo would amplify this problem tremendously.I have never had a malfunction with SA,LC,Port or commercial 308 Winchester.

All, Thanks for the input.

Shooting was done in 55 degree F weather so cold was not an issue. Ammo was LC M118 LR and hand loads have worked fine out of the stock 8 rounders. I did reluctantly spray some lube on the followers when I reassembled the mags. It seems to help but I hope it doesn't become a dirt magnet. Based on how the top round now reacts to compression, I'm hopeful that they will all work. I will test fire this weekend and report.

For over a year now, I have had 6 of the mythical "first run" mags with TROMIX aluminium base plates and RU followers. Before I loaded the first round last Janurary, I squirted the inside of the mag bodies and followers with a product called "Strike-Hold", which seems to be a dry silicon lube, and have never had a problem... FWIW...

Macbeau sends...

If they will not work, we will encourage you to play with them as much as you want to to see if they will wear in or work. Short of destroying them, we will swap them right away or when ever you are done playing with them. We dealt with some more issues with this batch, some got to cool a few seconds longer than others and hence the follower drag. If you send them back, we will swap them. We take those back to the plastic company and they give us credit towards the next batch.

To solve the problem in the next run, regardless of cooling time we have opened up the insert 4 thousandths of an inch. That should do it.

If they will not work, we will encourage you to play with them as much as you want to to see if they will wear in or work. Short of destroying them, we will swap them right away or when ever you are done playing with them. We dealt with some more issues with this batch, some got to cool a few seconds longer than others and hence the follower drag. If you send them back, we will swap them. We take those back to the plastic company and they give us credit towards the next batch.

To solve the problem in the next run, regardless of cooling time we have opened up the insert 4 thousandths of an inch.

I appreciate that! That's the kind of proactive customer service response that motivates me to buy more. I am confident that they will work now. I will advise after try them out this weekend.

Ammo was LC M118 LR

Are you the guy I saw filling his Chevette up with premium?

Except for the fact that the Chevette must have been a diesel(yes they existed) because an S308 has damn near a 1 in 13 twist and won't stabilize that 175gr bullet worth a crap.

By the way a Saiga isn't a Chevette,it's a 700HP Grocery Getter Sleeper and nobody knows what it will do until they get on the line beside it ;)

CIMG0721.jpg

Keep on using the good ammo T30 but pick the right octane and you'll get better results.

Here's the $450 Trijicon sitting on the $300 Saiga for al of the Gun Yuppies to wonder about because My AR is in a closet collecting dust cuz this mofo RUNS!

January2008012.jpg