.308 Trigger Hole

I'm in the process of doing a conversion on my Saiga .308 and may have a problem. The trigger hole under the plate is very large. My Tapco G2 almost falls right through. It does not just "drop right in" as I have read on other posts. I have also noticed the hammer is incompatible and will not install correctly unless perhaps I take a file too it. Anyone have similar issues?

Hmm, well the trigger is supposed to be held in place by a pin, not the hole, just like on a regular AK. The positioning of the pin and engagement with the hammer are the telling parts. Yes, a trigger hole should be larger then a slot for the actual trigger part your finger sits on. I am pretty sure the all the factory holes are within spec. Also, the hammer does require a bit of fitting. I had to use a Dremel on mine to make sure it pivots freely on the hammer pivot pin. It is just a minor fitting. Make sure that your hammer, sear and safety engage properly or else you could have an unsafe gun, check the sticky at the top of this forum subsection on safety. I ended up doing a recutting and polishing on my hammer and trigger sear engagement surfaces to have a safe trigger, also the safety required a bit of welding up so it was positive. I added a more positive camber to the hook on the trigger. If you are unfamiliar with how the AK trigger group works you may want to have this done by a smith. If you study the shape you should be able to figure out what this means. AKs are probably the easiest weapons to smith.

Edited by Saigaczech

The G2 trigger should have a sleeve that keeps it in place; it should not fall through. And yes, you'll have to grind down the whale's head hump on the hammer. Take your time, don't overdo it. Use a dremel, it's much easier. Also polish it in that spot when you're done, it functions better.

Too much side-to-side movement can cause FCG components to bind -- which is bad. You can reduce any side-to-side movement by using spacers to center the trigger. I used 5/16" OD x 3/16" L (#10 ID) for the left side and a 5/16" OD x 3/8" L (#10 ID) for the right. A little sanding and they hold the trigger rock solid in the center. I ordered PN's 67713032 & 67713156 from MSCDirect.com. For more information see my thread: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=7937.

Larry

Edited by LESchwartz