Listen guys, I need the brightest or near brightest tactical light for my tacitical rifle setup.

What should I buy? and how much is it? Prefer a multiple LED light...

...a LEO reply would be greatly appreciated-

edit: adding - I want BRIGHT not battery longevity

Edited by Bvamp

There are several good ones out there, and I have used Pelican, Streamlight, SpyTorch, Surefire, and several others for search and rescue work. Of those, when it comes to durability, size, and brightness, I generally lean towards Surefire...and I personally own several and my E2E fits easily in my shirt pocket and is brighter than the rechargable streamlights most the officers I work with carry. Extremely bright, lots of options, tough as nails, and all in a small package.

I'll let an LEO weigh in if you can get away with the regular Surefire lights on a tac rifle. It's something I plan to try, but I haven't got around to it yet. I wouldn't think there would be too much to worry about with something like a .223 tac rifle, but I know Surefire will tell you to go with the weapon lights due to the stress from firing.

Beyond that, I've seen a few guys mount the cheaper lights (~$20 Sam's Club specials) on a shotgun/rifle, only to have lenses, bulbs, and batteries end up 15-20 feet in front of their gun after firing.

I'll pack up a small collection for the March get together and let you get some hands on with a few of these in different configs.

clarification: I want to blind some one so bad, that I dont have to shoot them...???

edit: I may or may not have my reasons......what is brightest?

edited edit: battery packs dont really matter that much......FTFL3 says surefire, which is a good endorsement.....what else should I look at???

Edited by Bvamp
clarification: I want to blind some one so bad, that I dont have to shoot them...???

Nothing short of a laser is going to do permanent damange, but the Surefire's will temporarily blind someone. Trust me, mine are relatively low power compared to some and they will still have you seeing spots even in the daytime.

Well, the reason I ask....

...those nice "Boys" up north, they had this light that almost made you sick when they hit you with it (not me), and I would like to have a "shock" option with these halfwits down here, if I have a problem outside my house. Inside my house, I guess I am "good to go" and can shoot them dead now, but I still would like a shocker that allows me an advatange, and a good bright BRIGHT light should allow that to happen......my tac AK setup needs one anyway.....

I would prefer to not shoot one of these halfwitts down here, to be honest, but it wont be a problem, if its all the same.......

I caught someone already snooping outside my apartment at 2am.......

I am unamused.

I would prefer to blind them, and habenero spray em first. (If you ever tasted cobra's sauce, you have a good idea on how BAD this could be for you...)

A bright BRGHT light would help me out a lot, right now, guys......what works best?? I have a rail open for one, so just let me know which is the best one.......I want BRIGHT......

how much do you want for yours? It best be bright though......

Edited by Bvamp

Wanna blind people?

I've got some sick ass lights, and lasers You wouldn't believe.

IR, green lasers are fun.

Weaponlight wise.

Do the Surefire 951XM07(6volt), or 961XM07(9volt...kinda big)

Want insane. Get a turbo head for it.

Shit. Buy the Surefire 12volt one. Thats nuts!

Or I'll sell You a nighthunter so that You can see a mile away. But it'll be at least $1,200.00....LOL

I'll vouch for the Surefires, I carry an Executive Defender. I'd reach for that before I grabbed my tactical knife for defense. It's 60 lumen's and has a crenelated bezel on both ends for striking. It can be weapon mounted. 60 lumen's will take your vision away, the dedicated weapon mounted ones at 120 lumen's and up would absolutely take someone out of the fight. They also cost a fortune. I use a Streamlight TLR2 on my S12, it's not as good as a Surefire, but half the cost.

If I may... I'll throw in my two cents worth.

The Tomahawk-series of tactical lights produced by First-Light are reportedly pretty friggen awesome.

But, since I don't own one (yet).... I can't personally vouch for them.

Here's the product's weblink: http://www.first-light-usa.com/tomahawkmc.php

post-4853-1201838285.jpg

post-4853-1201838304_thumb.jpg

post-4853-1201838325.jpg

post-4853-1201838338.jpg

Edited by Gary

I've got a Surefire G2 LED for my S12. I can tell you from personal experience that it will blind the fuck out of someone, even in the daytime. It's VERY reasonably-priced, and it's rated at 80 lumens (as opposed to 65 for the incandescent G2). It's not the brightest light out there, but for the money, it can't be beat. All you need to mount it are 1" rings.

If I may... I'll throw in my two cents worth.

The Tomahawk-series of tactical lights produced by First-Light are reportedly pretty friggen awesome.

But, since I don't own one (yet).... I can't personally vouch for them.

Here's the product's weblink: http://www.first-light-usa.com/tomahawkmc.php

that light looks like a firefighter's pocket light, but all tact'd out

I have a Surefire 9P on my S12 and it is very bright! I got mine as a package deal from Brightflashlights.com over on AR15.com. about 3 years ago for around $120.00..likely more now.The package came with the following:

Surefire 9P flashlight

Shock Isolated Bezal......replaces stock bezal for added recoil protection

Tape switch

Viltor qd mount

The 9P is 105 lumens or you can add a ultra lens that 200 lumens :eek: ..thats a lotta lumens:) both will be plenty to temp blind.I usually take mine off while fireing but have easyly shot 200rds of 00 buck with it on with no trouble..the mount is very sturdy also.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&...25&t=414567

http://www.opticsplanet.net/surefire-9p-bk-flashlight.html

S-12.jpg

......The Tomahawk-series of tactical lights produced by First-Light are reportedly pretty friggen awesome....

I have never seen one in person and I have no opinions on its brightness, but I would not want my hand tied to my front hand guard like that. That seems rather ill conceived. The Surefires are the standard, and with the Turboheads are quite bright I have two. But, they are proud of them!

I plan to mount a Luxeon or CREE LED 3 watt Flashlight on my S-12 with one of my home brew shock mounts.

The Blackhawk! brand Gladius (incandescent) tactical light is roughly the same size as large Surefire and has a strobe setting which from personal experience, will temporarily disorient someone caught in the full beam at night. We had a lowlight practice shoot a couple of years ago at our indoor range and Todd Jarrett (Blackhawk! rep.) helped as Range/Safety Officer. As it was very dark in the range and everyone was using lights similar to Surefires ( I was using a Streamlight Scorpion), Todd demonstrated the then new Gladius on me with the "strobe" and it will incapacitate for a few seconds. Supposedly the manufacturer selected a certain frequency of strobe effect as the most debilitating similar to the mentioned strobe/laser. It's not cheap, but is does more than a simple tactical light.

Gladius flashlight:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=75200&C=C1783

Laser Dazzler:

http://www.laserdazzler.net/

Surefire lights are great, but the really powerful ones are very expensive. If you want a VERY bright reasonably priced weapon-mountable LED light, which is available with or without a strobe mode (2-mode tactical control core option), check out theWolf Eyes Thunder AX. I believe that it is made in China, but I have a Wolf Eyes M90 Rattlesnake light, and the quality is really very good (all aluminum construction, excellent fit and finish). They also sell a remote pressure-switch tailcap assembly for the Thunder AX. I have one of those too, and it works great. In addition, they sell a rail mount which fits the light.

I have the M90 Rattlesnake set-up mounted on the side rail of my UTG dual-rail mount on one of my Saigas. The system works very well, and maintains a better balance point than a forward mounted light would. However, it does make the overall system a little wide to fit into some gun cases with the light on. I use a tactical soft case that works fine. The thing to check on with the Thunder AX is whether or not the head of the flashlight would have adequate clearance given the mount you would be using, as the bezel diameter is 2.45".

Anyway, the Thunder AX is a blinding, full-featured light for a reasonable price. Given my experience with my Wolf Eyes flashlight, I would say that it should also be high-quality.

One final note about the strobe feature. Not only does it disorient an opponent, but it also make it very difficult for them to perceive your movements. With the strobe on you could rapidly move toward, or away from, a subject without them being able to tell until it was too late.

If you want a lot of light for your buck check out the Fenix P3D Cree Premium Q5. Uses 2 CR123A batteries and has a max output of 215 lumens on max mode as well as lower power saving modes and strobe. Has a small footprint and weight but the .80" diameter is smaller than most lights so you'll need a 3/4" mount instead of a 1" standard picatinny mount. Since it's LED no problem with filament failure. Current pirce is less than $65 shipped. :-)

I am no LEO but based on my own experience, I will NEVER use an LED light for a tac light. 2 reasons, Smoke and/or fog. Remember, guns shot indoors equal smoke.

I learned this by accident in deer camp a few years ago, but then researched it and found there were some LED's being designed to work in smoke or fog. I have not cared to look into it much since but last I saw it did not seem to be worked out on a weapon mounted light.

The simple fact is the light produced by LED's is not the same as standard tac lights. The smoke or fog will "catch" it and you will find yourself looking at a wall of white. A standard surefire will cut right through it. This is due to the spectrum of light and color within it. I am going to skip that crap here, phtographers know it, but if you find an LED that cuts through smoke or fog let us know!

Personal taste has led me to feel less than a 9volt light in the woods is sub standard. Close to home, vehicle and in handgun/shotgun range, a 6volt is fine. You will need at least 9volts to be very bright at front door range. I only use surefires, anything less falls apart. There are lights equal to them, I just don't own any.

Edited by Zoub