I was at the range on saturday. Shot 100rds through my XD 45. Is it as reliable as a glock? I don't know. I've never seen anyone do the torture test with the XD that that guy did on his glock (you know, the sand and the dirt and the baby powder and the rusting...). One thing I DO know is that I watched time and time again people to the left and right of me having to clear FTF's and FTE's on their 1911's (All brands and clones), HK's, Sigs, etc. I watched two guys clear the same 9mm gun every 6-7 rounds.... the guy with a .45 Kimber $1200 gun next to me got through ONE full mag without a problem.... I watched in horror thinking "What good are these guns in a real life vs. death situation???" .... So I loaded up 26 rounds in my two mags (13 & 13) and proceeded to unload all 26 in about 10 seconds all into the target at 25 yrds.... no problem (Blazer CCI ammo... you know, the shittiest kind).... What does the extra $700 dolars buy you in a 1911 clone? Jams.

I had ONE FTE in my S-12 after I had put 100rds through it. 2 3/4" Federal Value pack target load. And that wasn't even me shooting it, it was my girlfriend.... i think she was holding it a little loose... I buy guns that WORK. I don't see the reason to buy shit that doesn't.

My point is why are people buying guns that WON'T FIRE EVERY TIME!?

My x39 Saiga can hit the 12" circle at 565 yrds. And it will load a round everytime, and fire everytime....

I had a friend who was looking at my guns the other day tell me that I didn't clean my guns correctly.... He was bitching that there was powder residue inside the grip (Which I hadn't cleaned). I replied "So what?" he said, "Well don't you take Q-tips and toothpicks and get every inch clean???" I said "NO, why would I need toothpicks?" "So the gun functions properly...." he replied....

TOOTHPICKS!? FOR FUNCTION??? WTF.... well he's an AR fan (big surprise) so I guess if it's not spotless he might have a problem.... Again, why buy the fucking gun if you have to worry about a toothpick's TIP worth of residue or fowling causing massive problems with a firearm????

Waste of money... Anyway... Rant off.

Todd Jarrett managed 1,000 rounds of .45 ACP in 10 minutes 44 seconds. So that means at your rate of fire and reload time stated you would fire on the order of 1,600 rounds in the same amount of time. If that is indeed true you can be in the Guiness Book of World Records as having beaten Todd Jarrett's time.

Sometimes folks guns don't fire because of poor maintenance, poor ammunition, ignorant shooter, or poor gun. My point is that it is silly to demean John M. Browning's design. It is a hundred year old proven design that has been used by our country's finest to win. When it is built to the specifications of John M. Browning it is very reliable. The problem is that we no longer have one manufacturer build it to spec, instead we have literally hundreds building a gun to no specific spec. I do not demean the tupperware guns represented on this board and ask that you not get down on everybodies pistol choice except your own. I have Saiga, H&K, Colt, Kimber, Remington, Winchester, Walther, Freedom Arms, Harrington & Richards, Remington Rand, Para Ordinance, Wilson Combat. and custom built firearms; they all go bang everytime I pull the trigger. Rant off.

Edited by 1911

1911's are usually as reliable as a anvil. They do need to be fed plane jane roundnose fmj's. What makes anyone buy hollowpoints and all kinds of +,++ and reduced recoil wussy stuff?

Feed it good,plain bullets. If a hole of .45" dia. dosen't kill it, none of that other shit will do any better. The origional trials pistol went 5,000 rounds with no problems. It was more reliable than the Luger that was also entered.

Well I've never had my Colt 1911 FTE or FTF a single time with any ammo that I've put through it (230grain FMJ, 230grain JHP, 180grain target). However, on the highschool rifle team we had some Kimber rifles. Let's just say I am never ever buying a Kimber.

Also, I know a guy that just bought a Sig 1911 less than a month ago, he fired one shot and all sorts of pieces flew out the back of the slide on the first shot. I couldn't identify them, because I've never done anything beyond a basic field strip of mine (it's really my Dad's). But it was a couple pins and stuff, I don't know if it was from the slide or in the grip, but it was hilarious because not 10 seconds earlier he told me he got it because of a combat shoot that I let him use my 1911 in, and I was talkin big about how fantastic the 1911 is when it happened.

At the pistol shoots I've been to, I saw a Para 1911 that had become so dirty that it jammed (the guy that shoots the most of us all never cleaned it, ever) which was funny because the entire thing was flat black from powder. There are two guys with USP's, I don't know what caliber, but they use them for largebore, so either .40 or .45, and they jam CONSTANTLY. I can't say if it's from limpwristing, but it is absolutely constant. They often seem to just fail to return to battery or barely leave battery and not even eject the round, and the guy has to stand there for a few minutes while we all wait and watch him struggle to get the slide unstuck. Half the time they go up to take out 5 pins (which means 20 shots for these guys) and have to use tools to fix some awful jam. The Glocks... ah the Glocks. I haven't the foggiest idea why people think they're reliable, my GOD. Those HK guys I just assume don't know how to shoot, but the Glock guys can't get through a single mag without at least 1 jam, and there are a lot more of them. I don't know if I've ever seen a guy with a Glock finish in even the top 20 out of 25/30 guys. It's just a scorecard that says FAILURE TO FINISH 5 times in a row. And they always go home with a handful of bullets with tried primers.

The only centerfire I have that I can think of that doesn't cycle reliably (my saiga 12 didnt when I first got it, but that was my fault for overtightening AGP mags) is my Luger, and I plan on selling it. I inherited that one from my Mother's Father, and boy is that thing picky. I think prepping a Luger for reliable feeding requires a detail strip and full cleaning inbetween magazines.

I'm not bemoaning anyone's guns. I'm just saying that I witnessed about 10 failures to feed or failures to eject on the 4 or 5 guns the guys to my left and right were shooting. They were 1911 LOOK a likes. I don't doubt a REAL Springfield, or Browning or whatever, High dollar well built gun will run perfectly. I'm just pointing out that THESE guys at the range wasted their money.

Also, I don't own a glock, never fired them. I've only fired a few 1911 look-alikes. and while those didn't jam on me, i only shot 7rds out of it. Anyway, the point was not to say people who own 1911's are stupid but that it's stupid to have a gun that doesn't work everytime you pull the trigger.

The guy who shot 1,000 rds of .45 in 10mins whatever... was he using 13rd mags? If he's using 7rd 1911 mags then I can see why he was so slow. :haha:

and it could have been 9, or 12 seconds, i didn't time it.

There's so many variables I think it's hard to say anything about the FTF/FTE's you've personally seen being a conclusive conclusion about a brand or type of weapon. I've had a Glock 27 for about 11-12 years now with who knows how many rounds through it and it has never choked once. I recently bought a Glock 35 and it's never missed a beat either. I've never owned a 1911, shot them a few times, never had a problem with them either. I guess I'm just not old enough to appreciate 1911's- :lolol:

Glocks have a reputation for reliability because over the course of millions of them being sold and used, the vast majority of people/organizations/testers have found they are reliable. It doesn't mean people haven't had problems with them.

I think guns are like cars, some guys will spend a crazy amount on one because it's worth it to him. Personally, I always enjoy pulling out dirty, old gun and outshooting the guys with the custom set ups and all the gear. Just like I like pulling up to a new corvette in my old Datsun and smoking them. I'm just mean that way :devil:

ive got a glock 19 and xd 45 i had a smith sigma shot sigs kimbers the whole mess of em and i have to say my xd 45. is my favorite pistol i dont see why you should spend another 1000$ when the xd works fine never had a single misfire or fte has shot everytime i have pulled the trigger same said for the glock the only time it didnt fire was when i got a bad round and the slug stoped in the chamber the slide cycled but the next round didnt seat all the way :cryss: they are all good guns you just need to take care of them. if somebody wants to pay more for the gun of their choice more power too em im just too cheap

I have 1911's, but my XD-45 is my favorite. It has exactly 5595 rounds through with no replaced parts and is still going strong.

I have lots of "good" guns, but the XD-45 is near to hand in bed at night and wearing an XL2 light/laser.

I trust it... :smoke:

Only times my Glock 17 has EVER jammed, was using reloaded ammo that turned out to be sticking in the chamber because the cases were swelled.

same with my Beretta 92 Elite

one FTL with reloaded ammo at the range (swelled case) and that's it

there are a lot of reliable guns out there!

I think 1911s get a bad rap because all of the modifications can lead to poor reliability. too many replacement parts and accessories from too many different manufacturers. A well-made 1911 without any owner mods will be very reliable.

1911s also tend to malfunction when not cleaned and lubed often whereas some other pistols can get away with little to no maintenance for a long period of time (Glocks, XDs for example can go longer without cleaning than 1911s in general).

I own two SIG pistols (P220 and P225) and the only time I've ever had a jam was when I was using an $8 Pro-Mag in my P225. I know it's usually hard to convince XD owners (or Glock owners for that matter) otherwise, but your gun does not represent the pinnacle of firearms design. They work well, are acceptably accurate, and considering how much plastic is in them, they are reasonably rugged. However, claiming that your $400 gun is far superior to guns twice as expensive or more is just plain ludicrous.

Just like claiming a $400 12 ga shotgun is far superior to a $4000 benelli?

Oh and for the LAST time, the point was "why own a gun that doesn't fire reliably 99.999% of the time" NOT "Why own a 1911? Glock? Sig? Kimber? Colt? S&W? etc. etc."

The point is buy a gun that works all the time whatever the manufacture is. Purchasing a gun that only runs 75% of the time is a WASTE OF MONEY.

The guys at the range who had unreliable guns WASTED THEIR MONEY. REGARDLESS OF WHO MADE THE GUN IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Get off the brands. It had nothing to do with brands, I only mentioned the types of guns they were so you could generally understand that it was a variety of guns with the problem.

Well I've never had my Colt 1911 FTE or FTF a single time with any ammo that I've put through it (230grain FMJ, 230grain JHP, 180grain target). However, on the highschool rifle team we had some Kimber rifles. Let's just say I am never ever buying a Kimber.

Also, I know a guy that just bought a Sig 1911 less than a month ago, he fired one shot and all sorts of pieces flew out the back of the slide on the first shot. I couldn't identify them, because I've never done anything beyond a basic field strip of mine (it's really my Dad's). But it was a couple pins and stuff, I don't know if it was from the slide or in the grip, but it was hilarious because not 10 seconds earlier he told me he got it because of a combat shoot that I let him use my 1911 in, and I was talkin big about how fantastic the 1911 is when it happened.

At the pistol shoots I've been to, I saw a Para 1911 that had become so dirty that it jammed (the guy that shoots the most of us all never cleaned it, ever) which was funny because the entire thing was flat black from powder. There are two guys with USP's, I don't know what caliber, but they use them for largebore, so either .40 or .45, and they jam CONSTANTLY. I can't say if it's from limpwristing, but it is absolutely constant. They often seem to just fail to return to battery or barely leave battery and not even eject the round, and the guy has to stand there for a few minutes while we all wait and watch him struggle to get the slide unstuck. Half the time they go up to take out 5 pins (which means 20 shots for these guys) and have to use tools to fix some awful jam. The Glocks... ah the Glocks. I haven't the foggiest idea why people think they're reliable, my GOD. Those HK guys I just assume don't know how to shoot, but the Glock guys can't get through a single mag without at least 1 jam, and there are a lot more of them. I don't know if I've ever seen a guy with a Glock finish in even the top 20 out of 25/30 guys. It's just a scorecard that says FAILURE TO FINISH 5 times in a row. And they always go home with a handful of bullets with tried primers.

The only centerfire I have that I can think of that doesn't cycle reliably (my saiga 12 didnt when I first got it, but that was my fault for overtightening AGP mags) is my Luger, and I plan on selling it. I inherited that one from my Mother's Father, and boy is that thing picky. I think prepping a Luger for reliable feeding requires a detail strip and full cleaning inbetween magazines.

Where did you find this bunch of shooting buddies? I can't imagine that many failures in the HK and Glocks, very suprised to hear that. The only time I've ever seen a Glock malfunction was my G26, and I can chaulk it up to cheap ass ammo.

dscn1333-1.jpg

I own two SIG pistols (P220 and P225) and the only time I've ever had a jam was when I was using an $8 Pro-Mag in my P225. I know it's usually hard to convince XD owners (or Glock owners for that matter) otherwise, but your gun does not represent the pinnacle of firearms design. They work well, are acceptably accurate, and considering how much plastic is in them, they are reasonably rugged. However, claiming that your $400 gun is far superior to guns twice as expensive or more is just plain ludicrous.

oh my god a sig it must be gold. god i hate when people think because they spent a shit ton of $ on a gun it is somehow superior to another get off your high horse and take your sig with you

Hey SaigaNoobie:

I think I have found the answer to the most reliable and fastest non-automatic handgun for you. I know this guy does better than me. Enjoy!

Damn! I remember seeing a guy on that show "American Shooter" (what the hell happened to that show, I used to love watching it Saturday mornings), who was fast like that with a revolver. Might of been the same guy, I don't know. He was a great exhibition shooter. They showed him shooting a balloon with a little snub-nose .38 from a ridiculous range.........outside, with the wind blowing!