Picked up a Saiga 223 This Weekend

One thing that was extremely different from the 30 Russian version was the trigger. It was about 6 pounds lighter and had zero slap. In standard cofig, the 30 Russian had about a 14 pound trigger and lots of slap.

Also, it is more accurate than its big brother. When I convert it to PG style, I will be using the Euro-spec buttstock, since my daughter has a much smaller frame than I do.

There was virtually no recoil. The pressure on the Wolf 223 ($99/1000 at the gun show) was a little high - the primers were flattened - but nary a hitch with the gun. I guess it is true what they say about AKs: they don't need a break-in period.

• 4 weeks later...
Also, it is more accurate than its big brother. When I convert it to PG style, I will be using the Euro-spec buttstock, since my daughter has a much smaller frame than I do.

There was virtually no recoil.

I'm glad to hear that your daughter likes the .223 Saiga. I have and love my Saiga .410. My son loves his Saiga .308.

You said the .223 is morer accurate than its big brother. Which big brother? And just how accurate is it?

Around here we can't use a .223 to hunt with. That leaves the question: Aside from shooting targets and using it for Homeland Defense, what do you use it for? I have been planning on getting one of the 16" barrelled 7.62x39 Saiga rifles because I'd like to use it on whitetail deer (distance around here for deer varies from about 20 yards to 150 yards). Being small-framed myself, I prefer the weight of the 7.62 to that of the .308 in 22" barrel.

One last question. As I haven't seen one of these advertised, where did you get it and how much do they run compared with the 7.62x39?

TIA

• 3 weeks later...

The big brother is a 7.62x39 and the .223 carries about a $40 premium.

I plan to use it to teach teenagers how to shoot military style rifles. Also, where I live, we can shoot coyotes, wild dogs, skunks, and ground hogs with it.

As to accuracy, in my daughters hands with iron sights, it is a 3-inch gun. I have not spent any time shooting it myself, but I plan to put a 4x scope on it and wring it out. I expect it to come in at 2-2.5 inches. The 30 cal, OTOH, is about a 4 inch gun, which puts it in the class of the Mini-14. I only have about 200 rds thru it. I will probably tune it up after 500 rds. I have not converted it to PG config yet. I suspect that the Gordon Tech trigger will help tremendously. I used the FSE trigger in the 223, but I may change it out in favor of an RSA adjustable trigger. The FSE still gives a little slap.