Search "ruseller" on this forum (and on many other Kalashnikov related forums)

If you send him money, kiss it goodbye.

Your best bet is to find some Polish furniture. It is available and inexpensive (compared to Russian) and can be refinished in red easily.

Search "ruseller" on this forum (and on many other Kalashnikov related forums)

If you send him money, kiss it goodbye.

Your best bet is to find some Polish furniture. It is available and inexpensive (compared to Russian) and can be refinished in red easily.

im checkin the tantal website... why cant they just put the prices on the damn site...

Not to change subjects, but on a side note: Anyone know if IronWood is the only place for US made AK furniture?

Have you forgotten our very own BattlerifleG3 already? :ded:

Ya know what, I was scanning threads, and saw his for his furniture. Even funnier, that I've replied to other peoples posts asking for wood furniture, with a link to his stuff :lolol: . It's been a long day.

This is a Romy G with stock furniture, stained with "military stock finish" from Brownell's, followed by a couple coats of linseed oil. Kinda weird lighting, but it matches the atlantic pic above almost perfectly.

DSCN1369.jpg

post-2098-1202431730_thumb.jpg

Edited by shaneman153a

I bought the bottom stock set from a fellow forum member who said he "refinished in Minwax Sedona Red"

post-5881-1202570840.jpg

louielouie

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxx

im looking for russian red upper/lower handgaurds like these, anyone know where i could find a set?

Someone on another forum told me of a guy named Ruseller... anyone know if hes got a website?

thanks

post-6221-1202252916_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I bought the bottom stock set from a fellow forum member who said he "refinished in Minwax Sedona Red"

post-5881-1202570840.jpg

louielouie

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxx

im looking for russian red upper/lower handgaurds like these, anyone know where i could find a set?

Someone on another forum told me of a guy named Ruseller... anyone know if hes got a website?

thanks

post-6221-1202252916_thumb.jpg

Sedona Red....perfect.....

Sedona Red....perfect.....

Sedona Red is good, you can also make a RED red stain by mixing RIT clothing dyes and alcohol. I like 50% rubbing alcohol, 35% crimson red, 10% cocoa brown and 5% sunshine yellow, but every wood stock is different so experiment a little on some scrap wood with various % changes to see just what shade you like. I also did a "murky" red set once where I mixed the previously mentioned stain 3 parts dye stain, 1 part Minwax Dark Mahogany.

The trick to a good stain is also the prep, sand the wood with 100 then 240, then rub it with a wet towel of rubbing alcohol and let dry, that raises the grain, then go at it with your stain. I apply the stain with an old t-shirt scraps. And I like to use spray on polyurethane, buffed between every coat with 0000 steel wool. Also make sure to give each coat 8-12 hours to fully dry before buffing, wiping the shavings off with a dry towel and then spraying another coat. Nice thin coats, 6-8 of them or so.

Here are some sets I have done in the past. If you want any info on how to make them yourself let me know, I'd be more than glad to help. I am no expert but I think they look pretty good.

post-21696-014588700 1280389509_thumb.jpg

post-21696-065145100 1280389529_thumb.jpg

post-21696-008138000 1280389552_thumb.jpg

post-21696-073234000 1280389564_thumb.jpg

post-21696-085015100 1280389574_thumb.jpg

post-21696-082357600 1280389658_thumb.jpg

post-21696-080816200 1280389680_thumb.jpg

Done2.jpg

Done1.jpg

AllMags1.jpg

To match my finish, Sand it all down to bare wood. Make sure there's no old color or varnish, or it' won't absorb the new.

Finish-sand it down last with at least 240 grit.

Then take Minwax Red Mohogany stain & put a really heavy coat on it, then let it hang & dry for a couple days Then softly wipe off the excess. Add another coat & let it dry at least a week. Buff it, removing the really, thick areas with the finest steel wool you can find.

Then get Minwax helmsman high gloss Spar Urethane in a spray can. Spray a rather heavy coat (but not enough to form drip marks) & let it dry for around 2 weeks....

S6300528.jpg

That's it.

This can be done with any condition, or mix & match takeoff stocks, being as you sand it to bare wood first.

Also, if you're concerned about it being shiny & not "tactically covert"... The Russian Takeoff stocks have 2 holes in the rear.

One has a spring & is for your cleaning kit. The trap-door on the plate lines up with it.

The other is exposed when you remove the but-stock's plate.

This hidden hole can be used to store course steel wool, to turn the gloss finish into matte in a couple minuets....

It can also be used to hold a watertight package of pills such as Adderall, an ADD med that would be useful in a stand off, or prolonged battle to stay awake & alert, Oxycodone, for pain if you get shot, & in my case, butalbatol, a migraine medication. And of course the prescription bottle labels showing that they're yours.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Red Chestnut by Cabot and I think it came out good. First time ever staining anything. Matches the pistol grip pretty well.

sdc12482.jpg

ETA: this was Romy G stock that I sanded and stained.

Edited by AZ-DAVE-IZ109