Ordered my 308 Today and a Nagant. Yee ha.

Ok. Got my tax check and ordered my Saiga 308 in 21". $399.

Also decided for 'long-range' work a M44 Nagant 7.62x54 20" with a ATI black stock would be nice for 'Range Work'. Also tossing on a muzzle break and taking off the bayonet and be putting a bi-pod on it. And a scope mount. Should look neat (aka not OLD) and help with 'THOSE' shots. Couple $100 for all that. Not bad.

Any suggestions on ammo for the 762x54.??

Also ordering later this week (or next) a U.S. FCG for 'stock' 308 rifles and an U.S. Ace Folder Stock for non-converted types and 1 SF 25 round mag to get me 'ready to roll' and a scope mount and scope.

I don't know whats more exciting the Saiga or the Nagant??!!???

Edited by YouWontHearItComing
Ok. Got my tax check and ordered my Saiga 308 in 21". $399.

Also decided for 'long-range' work a M44 Nagant 7.62x54 20" with a ATI black stock would be nice for 'Range Work'. Also tossing on a muzzle break and taking off the bayonet and be putting a bi-pod on it. And a scope mount. Should look neat (aka not OLD) and help with 'THOSE' shots. Couple $100 for all that. Not bad.

Any suggestions on ammo for the 762x54.??

Also ordering later this week (or next) a U.S. FCG for 'stock' 308 rifles and an U.S. Ace Folder Stock for non-converted types and 1 SF 25 round mag to get me 'ready to roll' and a scope mount and scope.

I don't know whats more exciting the Saiga or the Nagant??!!???

I bought a Mosin Nagant M44 carbine a few months back. I wasn't crazy about the finish so I redid the stock.

I have tried a few different types of ammo but I want to buy a large quantity of military surplus like this at J&G Sales (300 rounds for $45.93). They told me that shipping would be about $20.00.

7.62 X 54R ammo at J&G Sales

For the money you can't beat the Mosin (kind of like my old SKS). I always gets looks at the range (from the appearance, sound, and flame it shoot out).

My Saiga 308 long barrel is not "completed" yet so I will continue to play with the Mosin until I finish my Saigunov project.

Here are a few pics of my Mosin before and after:

mn001.jpg

mn007.jpg

Thats pretty sweet. :) Nice finish.

I think they also have a scope mount that sits back farther on the receiver vs. up on the old sight mount. I don't mind tapping a few holes to bring the eye piece (on the scope) back abit.

Thanks. You can't tell from the pics but the original finish on the metal parts looked rough. So I cleaned it up and used some satin black engine enamel - same as I am using for my Saiga. Looks much better this way. The stock took me quite a few days to refinish.

I am familiar with the scope mount that that sits further back but I would have to use a bent bolt to clear the scope (like the one in the picture you posted).

I dig nagants nagants. My first rifle was a type 53, and is one of my favorites to this day. Iv shot so much through it that it almost needs a recrown...but it still fires good ammo well. Itll take some more deer and many more spam cans.

As far as ammuntion, my experience is limited to surplus and Barnaul. The barnaul is pretty damn good, im getting "minute of blow a bigass hole in a critter" farther then I can effectively shoot with open sites. Surplus is a little hit or miss, Ill get some thats pretty good, and some wingers.

I've got a Mosin M44 Laminated - pretty nice rifle (refurbished - at AIM Surplus:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian...x54R_Rifle.html )

Still $79.95 !! I get my ammo at ammunitiontogo.com in bulk - Corrosive, but good stuff!

Classic Arms also has some Nice Mosins and Ammo Pkgs.post-7063-1202357346_thumb.jpg

Added: Shit, I spend so much more on ammo every week for my guns than the COST of the M44, Everyone should have at least one! (or two, or three.....lol)

Edited by BullShark012

Well I figured something out you might appreciate.

I'm going to order the ATI stock and mount an AK scope. :)

I found this on GB and a Steel Mount plate to affix to the side of the ATI stock.

Its a HI-Rise mount for AK's but should clear the Nagant bolt easily. Even if I have to mount it 1-2 inches forward to avoid the bolt handle I'm still closer than way up where the rear-sight type of mount would be. And no cutting of my Nagant BOLT to mount another type of scope mount I found earlier.

Hi-Rise Mount

Opinions??

Edited by YouWontHearItComing
  • 3 weeks later...