Hey all--

I am thinking of buying the Saiga .308 model that is up on the wall at the gun store but I would like to know what is available for Saiga .308 first. What do you guys have and what do you prefer or would get again--

Thanks

Matt

I have the black plastic furniture and 16" barrell. Other than the lack of a flash suppressor I love it. When shooting in low light with the short barrell the flash is blinding. No misfeeds, no jams nothing. And best of all it's 4" narrower than my quad so it's a perfect fit when I go out and play :smoke: I didn't want the longer barrell because of the quad issue and I figure if I'm going to carry something that long I'll just take the BA .300Win Mag since it's alot lighter.

I have the 16" with the skeleton stock. I've thought long and hard about whether I want to mod it or not and I've decided to leave it stock. The reason is I haven't seen anything that can replace that rotating cheek pad. I also have a side rail scope mount and that pad really helps as far as getting the proper cheek weld when sighting through a scope.

No problems. You just can't convert it to Pistolgrip AK look-alike. The stock and everything is all one piece. Honestly if I were getting a Saiga 100, I'd get the 30-06 instead of the .308 because that's the ONLY design the 30-06 comes in.... and as far as I know, the S-100 is the only 30-06 AK in the world... correct me if I'm mistaken.

Correct!

I want a 30-06 but a 308 W is the only that i can buy (here in Romania, at 1000 miles from Izmash, we are "long range" from Russia than you are).

And the price for a Saiga is 3 time biger than in USA and 2 time than in UE. I spend 1000 $ for my 20 gauge! 1000 $ is the price for a 308, only in this configuration.

A Tigr in 9,3x64 Brenneke is "the best" for me but the price is >3000 $!!! here. We have an "extra" 100% (for the government) to pay for guns.

Correct!

I want a 30-06 but a 308 W is the only that i can buy (here in Romania, at 1000 miles from Izmash, we are "long range" from Russia than you are).

And the price for a Saiga is 3 time biger than in USA and 2 time than in UE. I spend 1000 $ for my 20 gauge! 1000 $ is the price for a 308, only in this configuration.

A Tigr in 9,3x64 Brenneke is "the best" for me but the price is >3000 $!!! here. We have an "extra" 100% (for the government) to pay for guns.

Ouch! Man, that's stinks. Sorry to hear that. Can you buys used, is there a black market - I don't mean illegal, but person to person transaction as to avoid that Gov. tax?

I'd get the 30-06 instead of the .308 because that's the ONLY design the 30-06 comes in.... and as far as I know, the S-100 is the only 30-06 AK in the world... correct me if I'm mistaken.

Another 30-06 is the MOLOT VEPR. Build on a RPK structure, but the grand mather is AK.

Ouch! Man, that's stinks. Sorry to hear that. Can you buys used, is there a black market - I don't mean illegal, but person to person transaction as to avoid that Gov. tax?

The only way to avoid gov. tax. is to buy a "used" from another contry with a little price in paper and to pay this 100% at this "little" but unreal price. But you must find a dealer who accept this transaction. And is better to buy a expensive one, at last 1500 $ with 200 $ in paper and 200 $ transport to make a real deal.

Import from Russia is quasi impossible - we have only 5 Saiga - 1 in 20 (mine) and 4 in 12 gauge, 5 Saiga 100 in .308 W and 3 Tigr (plastic furniture) in .308 W in all country. I try to buy a Tigr in 9,3x64 Brenneke but without succes.

The last news: the gov. tax. is 150% from june 2008!

Edited by violiv

I have the 16" carbine version, cost me $340 in Federal Way at Federal Way Discount Guns. I did my own conversion, G2 trigger group, Tapco M249 SAW grip, K-VAR warsaw length US made AK stock, FBMG magazines, AK rear sight graduated to 1000 meters to replace the factory one that only goes to 300 meters and cut cooling vents in the handguard. Planning to add a muzzle brake in the near future, maybe make my own aluminum picatinny rail handguard. Love the gun, my only bad observations are that the gun kicks a bit due to light weight for such a heavy round and that it has significant muzzle rise. You can learn to live with those and mod the gun to overcome them though.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the .308 in the 21in version, it has the stock thunbhole butt and the black forearm. It came with a dustcover scope mount and scope but I don't car for that mount. I love the gun! I had a cetme and it was lousy to shoot, the Saiga is wonderful to shoot. too much so! I am runnin out of ammo!